• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Underweight?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I was thinking about starting planning my meals and doing some Yoga. Is that good?

One time this nurse scared me cos she said that although I look fine in everyday normal life, if I ever got really sick to the point of hospitalization that I would be in big trouble, cos I would lose a lot of weight and that would not be helpful. That scared me.

Umm.. yea, that would scare me too...
I don't think 19% is low enough for concern though. Nurses say ridiculous things sometimes. I actually joke with my friends about it, I'll say something not credible and ridiculous and then say, "I'M A NURSE!".

But at the same time, like I said, i'm not really sure about fat percentages and where they are supposed to be so she could very well be right. I know that BMI is always the best indicator of healthy weights.
Yoga is very good.
Planning meals is a very very good start to a healthy diet.
Just remember that at least 50% of your grains should be whole wheat, 5 fruits and vegetables, and the rest of the food pyramid, and you should be good. And don't forget to allow yourself a treat once in a while, since you can clearly afford it.
Also, I would try to include some aerobic exercise. Walking, biking, jogging, spinning, dancing, aerobics, taeboe, whatever floats your boat.

This is general advice for someone of any weight, since the goal should always be health, rather than bringing the scale up or down. I only think that the focus should be stronger on weight itself when the person is dangerously underweight or morbidly obese. Otherwise, just be healthy and the rest will fall into place :)

Man, i've gone on another health rant. Oops. :doh:

(Oh, and if you are concerned about wanting to gain weight/increase body fat percentage, increasing healthy fats is best! Peanut butter, cheese, fish, etc.) The goal for weight gain is always more calories in than calories out. So if you're exercising, (which I would STILL recommend), then you just need to eat more calories than you are expending.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think 19% is low enough for concern though. Nurses say ridiculous things sometimes. I actually joke with my friends about it, I'll say something not credible and ridiculous and then say, "I'M A NURSE!".

But at the same time, like I said, i'm not really sure about fat percentages and where they are supposed to be so she could very well be right. I know that BMI is always the best indicator of healthy weights.
Yoga is very good.
Just remember that at least 50% of your grains should be whole wheat, 5 fruits and vegetables, and the rest of the food pyramid, and you should be good. And don't forget to allow yourself a treat once in a while, since you can clearly afford it.
Also, I would try to include some aerobic exercise. Walking, biking, jogging, spinning, dancing, aerobics, taeboe, whatever floats your boat.

This is general advice for someone of any weight, since the goal should always be health, rather than bringing the scale up or down. I only think that the focus should be stronger on weight itself when the person is dangerously underweight or morbidly obese. Otherwise, just be healthy and the rest will fall into place :)

(Oh, and if you are concerned about wanting to gain weight, increasing healthy fats is best! Peanut butter, cheese, fish, etc.) The goal for weight gain is always more calories in than calories out. So if you're exercising, (which I would STILL reccommend), then you just need to eat more calories than you are expending.

Heh...I can tell S&S has been cracking the books hard. :thumbup: :)

P.S. Accepted average for females...Adult females: 19%-29%

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh...I can tell S&S has been cracking the books hard. :thumbup: :)

Lol!
Thanks.
I'm usually too busy trying to remember my lab values and different heart defects and stuff to worry about studying nutrition. This is just stuff i've dusted up along my way. Its pretty interesting and nice and fluffy (and in the news a lot! and common sense! ) so its easy to digest. (No pun intended.)

Oh, and thanks for the update on body fat percentage. I tried to look it up quickly but couldn't find anything too definitive and didn't want to give bad info and was getting impatient.
I knew I wasn't crazy, 19% isn't too bad!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yoga is very good.

(Oh, and if you are concerned about wanting to gain weight/increase body fat percentage, increasing healthy fats is best! Peanut butter, cheese, fish, etc.) The goal for weight gain is always more calories in than calories out. So if you're exercising, (which I would STILL recommend), then you just need to eat more calories than you are expending.

No, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!
About the grains though, why only whole wheat? What's wrong with other grains? The rest sounds dooable. :D

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Lol!
Thanks.
I'm usually too busy trying to remember my lab values and different heart defects and stuff to worry about studying nutrition. This is just stuff i've dusted up along my way. Its pretty interesting and nice and fluffy (and in the news a lot!) so its easy to digest. (No pun intended.)

I believe you still have Nutrition to go don't you?

Lab values...Bleh...This is why I always had a laminated cheat sheet. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe you still have Nutrition to go don't you?

Lab values...Bleh...This is why I always had a laminated cheat sheet. :D

yea, I have a pocket guide.
(I figure I got the K+ down so I won't kill anyone.)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
About the grains though, why only whole wheat? What's wrong with other grains? The rest sounds dooable. :D

Nothing really. Whole grains, period. All the processed stuff gets broke down faster thereby raising blood sugar, making you feel odd, and if it isn't burned, converted to fat.

LOL...S&S. I always wore a spot in my clothes where I carried it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mostly they recommend that because of the higher fiber content. (Which reduces the risk of some diseases.)
And a few extra nutrients.

I personally hate the taste of whole grain.
Unfortunately.

So I use FIBER ONE BARS!!
(I'm a walking fiber one bar commercial)
They REALLY don't TASTE like they have fiber in them! Its fascinating, delicious, and good for you too!!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, giggly. I think mypyramid.gov is a really user friendly website with a lot of helpful (and accurate, up to date) information!

(Oh and its really like supposed to be like 9 or 10 fruits and vegetables I think, now. So half your plate at every meal should be fruits and vegetables.. I think its hard enough to get 5 in!!)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about ground Flax seed? Does that do the same thing as whole wheat?.. cos I put that in my yogurt and I like it better.

Thx for the website, S&S.

edit: Oh and what about taking multi-vitamins? I've heard that only people who are trying to lose weight should take those.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ground flax seed is an excellent, excellent source of fat.
TBH I'm not sure about the fiber content.. I know that it has some, but i'm not sure if you can make up for not having whole grains with it.

(Oh and you're welcome, hope you find it helpful!)

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Try doing some strength training to gain muscle, while eating a lot of carbs :)

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
83 sounds low, but then you are really short. I'm not sure what to say. I'm 5'8-3/4 and float around 115 tom 120 pounds. I've had a doctor tell me that I was not gaining weight fast enough, but then I've been like this for years and I haven't noticed anything bad happening. How long have you had this weight to height ratio? Have you experienced any of the symptoms of emaciation?

On one hand, it's better safe than sorry, so I woud encourage you to continue seriously looking into this. On the other hand, I see a lot of fat people, and my doctor was fat. I feel fine and have always been this way, but I am so abnormal in this society that I think it is essentially assumed that I'm unhealthy. It might be the same way with you.

yeah, some people just have fast metabolisms and are born to be weedy, no matter what they eat.
the "normal" weight seems to have increased with the average weight, unfortunatley. im sure people who are skinnier than they should be are more vulnerable to fatigue, organ failure and disease, but im not sure if it still applies to people who are naturally skinny.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I'm not sure what to say. I'm 5'8-3/4 and float around 115 tom 120 pounds. I've had a doctor tell me that I was not gaining weight fast enough, but then I've been like this for years and I haven't noticed anything bad happening.
Gotta admit, I'm jealous of you guys who effortlessly stay thin. I personally don't want to be model thin though, prefer toned women. (not that you are)

Crazy how different bodies the same height react. I'm about 5'7" 1/2 and got down to 115 at one point awhile ago. I was semi-anorexic eating 1000 calories a day for prolly 5 months. My period stopped for several months. I could put my ankles together and my legs didn't touch at all all the way up. I got really bony and could feel my ribs all the way across my chest. Ok ok TMI I know! Some of my hair came out in half handfulls. Usually I weigh about 150, although my preferred weight is probably about 135-140.

G

Glycerine

Update: I haven't really gained much in the past few weeks after upping my caloric intake. I think my body is still changing and my appetite isn't what it used to be. (I used to eat enough for 2-3 adults but now I eat the bare minimum for 1 adult :)).

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
^ why/how did you become like that?
Awhile ago, the year I was 16. VERY difficult time my whole family was going through. I think diet and exercise became the one outlet which I could control. I didn't know I was doing anything wrong, just read about some lady on internet who ate next to nothing and thought I'd try it. Felt pretty tired and weak all the time. Ended up actually moving that year and started seeing a counselor. That's the nutshell version.

But again, I find it interesting how I'm an inch shorter than Poriferan but my body reacted so differently when I was her weight.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Update: I haven't really gained much in the past few weeks after upping my caloric intake. I think my body is still changing and my appetite isn't what it used to be. (I used to eat enough for 2-3 adults but now I eat the bare minimum for 1 adult :)).

i think if you just eat everything your body needs, including calories, there won't be anything wrong with you. the trouble is with anneorexics (god my spelling is appauling) is that their body gets weak. their bones can be easily shattered, their teeth fall out, etc.
but something that strikes low fat people indiscriminatley is insulation. they should stay protected from very cold temperatures.

But again, I find it interesting how I'm an inch shorter than Poriferan but my body reacted so differently when I was his weight.

that is interesting. i guess the difference is, you were depriving yourself of nutrients and calories while MP was not, his body just burns it all.

don't you hate people who eat more then you but are still skinnier :newwink: