User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Underweight?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I'm actually Asian and yes, it is an Elliot Smith song. So I guess even for Asian standards, I am really underweight.
    Ah I'm in the same boat as you. Petite Asian 5'3" at 92-95 pounds? Probably comparable to your shorter height at 80 odd pounds. I look skinny though.

I guess what's most important is maintaining a consistent weight. Each person have their own set point "ideal" weight range. If you're getting somewhere around 2000 calories a day with a good variety of food choices and you still see no difference in your weight then I wouldn't worry too much.

Perhaps your doctor was concern about your recent weight drop. BMI charts aren't useful for somebody who's fine boned but has a high metabolic rate.

I think it's recommended that you have about 1-2 teaspoon of oil/fat every day? Calcium is important though... substitute things like nuts and fortified orange juice/soy etc if necessary... also lactose tolerance can be improved if you drink more milk. Just need to take it slowly.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Glycerine

Ok from what all you guys said, I am going to up my caloric intake a bit and see where it takes me and check w/ the doctor in a couple months.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I have a BMI of around 18.6 which is barely in the normal range. I am very thin but by comparison to what I was as a child (freakishly thin) I am lot more rounded out. And people are quick to judge. Everyone is always telling me to eat more, even people around me that know me. I have a really fast metabolism and actually eat more than the average woman (often more than the average man ).

But when what you eat has so little bearing on your weight its so important to eat a balanced diet - you can lose track of things easily. I agree what was said about listening to your doctor. Take care of yourself

MBTI
    GONE

Hey Pitseleh, ahhh, you got the 'petite' genes. I got the Ghengis Khan genes.

I think more important than just gaining weight for you would be to be healthy and fit, and by that I mean getting muscle tone and building stamina.

Muscle is heavier than fat and it will serve you better pound for pound. Or at least go halfsies on the weight gain.

Eat more protein?

Follow a sumo wrestler diet?

LOL, not sure.

But yes, I would definitely follow your doctor's advice. Weight and fat % for a young woman correlates now and later to fertility stuff. And osteoporosis. So drink more milk or something.

Okay, I'm gonna stop being that nagging aunt.

PS Don't just eat junk food to gain weight! Or eat past when you want. Eat well and make healthy choices.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

You should try to stick to a diet where you eat small meals consistently. Eat carbohydrate rich foods, and always keep some trail/nut mix on hand. You probably just have a really high metabolism.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    You should try to stick to a diet where you eat small meals consistently. Eat carbohydrate rich foods, and always keep some trail/nut mix on hand. You probably just have a really high metabolism.
    Doesn't eating like that increase your metabolism?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I had my body fat taken once and it was 19%. I eat but I don't always eat healthy things. I don't have an exercise routine right now either. Should I be concerned? What do I do?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I had my body fat taken once and it was 19%. I eat but I don't always eat healthy things. I don't have an exercise routine right now either. Should I be concerned? What do I do?
    Not sure what the lowest acceptable body fat percentage is.. I know that they like you to be around 25%-30%. And I think age changes it a little bit.

I don't know if having a body fat of 19% is a cause for major concern, but never hurts to prioritize eating healthier and exercising!!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Not sure what the lowest acceptable body fat percentage is.. I know that they like you to be around 25%-30%. And I think age changes it a little bit.

I don't know if having a body fat of 19% is a cause for major concern, but never hurts to prioritize eating healthier and exercising!!
    Yeah, I was thinking about starting planning my meals and doing some Yoga. Is that good?

One time this nurse scared me cos she said that although I look fine in everyday normal life, if I ever got really sick to the point of hospitalization that I would be in big trouble, cos I would lose a lot of weight and that would not be helpful. That scared me.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    One time this nurse scared me cos she said that although I look fine in everyday normal life, if I ever got really sick to the point of hospitalization that I would be in big trouble, cos I would lose a lot of weight and that would not be helpful. That scared me.
    I think about this, too. I've seen the incredible weight reducing effects of certain food poisoning. I think that if it happened to me, I'd become a skeleton.
    Go to sleep, iguana.