Thread: Underweight?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    You should have asked your doctor why he thought you should gain weight when you were at your appointment. Maybe you should set up another appointment to ask him some questions.
    +1.
    You have the right to question Dr's orders regarding your own health.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I hate to do this because I'll come off as arrogant, but the BMI isn't a very accurate depiction of body mass. At least not accordingly to heritage. People of African ancestry, along with Pacific Islanders and Native American to a lesser degree, had heavier bone density, which the BMI doesn't take into account. The BMI is truly a Causasian index and doesn't pertain to other races. However, I'm going to use my intuition here and assume Pitseleh is white, so ...this was pointless. Informative maybe but unnecessary.

If your doctor tells you to gain weight, then gain the weight. I'd imagine she'd/he'd know what she/he was talking about. Even for 4'10", eighty-three pounds is very underweight. Your bones don't have to stick out for you to be at an unhealthy weight.

Random Question @Pitseleh: Isn't that an Elliot Smith song?
    I'm actually Asian and yes, it is an Elliot Smith song. So I guess even for Asian standards, I am really underweight.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I think at 4'10 you need to be at at least 90 lbs. (Although I've always thought ideal weight was a crock of bs, since when you're at ideal weight you're still very thin. My ideal weight is 100 lbs, and at 120, i'm still pretty thin.) BMI seems to be a better indicator.

Its not really about how you look, whether your bones are sticking out or you are amennorheic. And I'd think if you're at a weight where you're saying "well at least I still have my period, at least I don't have excess hair" etc, then you're probably walking a pretty thin line.

You're bones aren't brittle now, because you're 20. And they are at the strongest they ever will be. The concern for people who are malnourished in their 20's, (when their bones are at their "strongest" which still may be weak for someone who is 20) that you are likely to have bone problems earlier than normal, say in your 50's or around menopause.

My guess is that at 82 lbs, you are missing some essential nutrients that you need to keep your young body going and keep it preserved nicely for later!
    Don't base your healthy weight on lack of physical symptoms that you would have if you were anorexic or bulemic. Base it on your health.
    Yes, I am partially lactose intolerant so I rarely drink milk. Also, I try to limit my fat intake so that might be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    You should have asked your doctor why he thought you should gain weight when you were at your appointment. Maybe you should set up another appointment to ask him some questions.
    Well I asked about weight/height and she just looked at an BMI type chart and told me I needed to gain weight.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm about 90lb-95lbs too, short (5'2 - 5'3), partially lactose intolerant, 20 years old, and mostly asian as well ...so I definitely can relate. From elementary school till high school whenever we would do the BMI tests I was always told I was "underweight". But I always felt like I ate a good amount (my friends would even say that I ate a lot) and I still do. Honestly, I think the low weight is just because of a fast metabolism and maybe some of my asian (pacific islander) genes since my mom and all of my aunts were about the same weight as me in their early 20s as well.

However, the last couple of times that I've gone to the doctor I've asked him if I needed to try and gain weight (just because I'd personally like to be around 105)...and he's continually said that it's not necessary for me to do that. So if your doctor said that you need too, I would definitely make another appointment and find out exactly why you have to. I'd also get information on exactly what types of nutrients you need that you may be lacking.

Well I asked about weight/height and she just looked at an BMI type chart and told me I needed to gain weight.
    If your doctor just told you this based on the chart alone, without looking at your particular case specifically, I would definitely ask him again for more information or get a second opinion.
    After all,
    you're my wonderwall...

{listen: }

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    i am not sure... I have enough fat to have regular periods and I look bigger than I weigh (somewhat muscular).
    Your body does need some measure of bodyfat% to operate properly, but you may simply have a very petite frame. Don't bother with BMI - it makes a number of assumptions that make its scale a very general recommendation. If your doctor is using BMI, find a better doctor. Get a second opinion in any case.

MBTI
    INTP

Those height/weight charts don't take other factors into consideration. Low-to-midrange for my height is around 120. But when I weigh 120, I have about 28% body fat, which isn't great. I feel best around 108. If you're small-boned, short, and have a fast metabolism, and all other factors check out okay, I don't think I'd listen to the doctor based on charts.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I would give it a go, but if you struggle to maintain a higher weight I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm curious as to why you avoid eating fat though.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Those height/weight charts don't take other factors into consideration. Low-to-midrange for my height is around 120. But when I weigh 120, I have about 28% body fat, which isn't great. I feel best around 108. If you're small-boned, short, and have a fast metabolism, and all other factors check out okay, I don't think I'd listen to the doctor based on charts.
    yes, I am like too. Even though 95-100 is supposed to be ideal, I was only high 90's to 100 when I was completely sedentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I would give it a go, but if you struggle to maintain a higher weight I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm curious as to why you avoid eating fat though.
    i always thought eating a lot of fat was bad for you so I tend to avoid foods w/ high fat content (usually stick to less than 10 g) or I will eat pizza or fried chicken in moderation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    i always thought eating a lot of fat was bad for you so I tend to avoid foods w/ high fat content (usually stick to less than 10 g) or I will eat pizza or fried chicken in moderation.
    There are fats that are healthy for you. Try incorporating (or adding more) avocado, olive oil, nuts, and fatty fish into your diet.

Otherwise, I agree to ask your doc more questions, and maybe even get a second opinion. But if you feel good and live a healthy lifestyle, then don't fret too much over what a stupid chart says.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I would be careful listening to people online who have never met you when there is a Dr. in front of you who is concerned with your health.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I would be careful listening to people online who have never met you when there is a Dr. in front of you who is concerned with your health.
    I totally agree. People were basically saying to question the doctor though, rather than ignore him.

Having said all that, sounds like a job for a professional.