• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Underweight?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should have asked your doctor why he thought you should gain weight when you were at your appointment. Maybe you should set up another appointment to ask him some questions.

+1.
You have the right to question Dr's orders regarding your own health.

G

Glycerine

I hate to do this because I'll come off as arrogant, but the BMI isn't a very accurate depiction of body mass. At least not accordingly to heritage. People of African ancestry, along with Pacific Islanders and Native American to a lesser degree, had heavier bone density, which the BMI doesn't take into account. The BMI is truly a Causasian index and doesn't pertain to other races. However, I'm going to use my intuition here and assume Pitseleh is white, so ...this was pointless. Informative maybe but unnecessary.

If your doctor tells you to gain weight, then gain the weight. I'd imagine she'd/he'd know what she/he was talking about. Even for 4'10", eighty-three pounds is very underweight. Your bones don't have to stick out for you to be at an unhealthy weight.

Random Question @Pitseleh: Isn't that an Elliot Smith song?
I'm actually Asian and yes, it is an Elliot Smith song. :) So I guess even for Asian standards, I am really underweight.

I think at 4'10 you need to be at at least 90 lbs. (Although I've always thought ideal weight was a crock of bs, since when you're at ideal weight you're still very thin. My ideal weight is 100 lbs, and at 120, i'm still pretty thin.) BMI seems to be a better indicator.

Its not really about how you look, whether your bones are sticking out or you are amennorheic. And I'd think if you're at a weight where you're saying "well at least I still have my period, at least I don't have excess hair" etc, then you're probably walking a pretty thin line.

You're bones aren't brittle now, because you're 20. And they are at the strongest they ever will be. The concern for people who are malnourished in their 20's, (when their bones are at their "strongest" which still may be weak for someone who is 20) that you are likely to have bone problems earlier than normal, say in your 50's or around menopause.

My guess is that at 82 lbs, you are missing some essential nutrients that you need to keep your young body going and keep it preserved nicely for later!
Don't base your healthy weight on lack of physical symptoms that you would have if you were anorexic or bulemic. Base it on your health.

Yes, I am partially lactose intolerant so I rarely drink milk. Also, I try to limit my fat intake so that might be an issue.
You should have asked your doctor why he thought you should gain weight when you were at your appointment. Maybe you should set up another appointment to ask him some questions.
Well I asked about weight/height and she just looked at an BMI type chart and told me I needed to gain weight.

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm about 90lb-95lbs too, short (5'2 - 5'3), partially lactose intolerant, 20 years old, and mostly asian as well ...so I definitely can relate. From elementary school till high school whenever we would do the BMI tests I was always told I was "underweight". But I always felt like I ate a good amount (my friends would even say that I ate a lot) and I still do. Honestly, I think the low weight is just because of a fast metabolism and maybe some of my asian (pacific islander) genes since my mom and all of my aunts were about the same weight as me in their early 20s as well.

However, the last couple of times that I've gone to the doctor I've asked him if I needed to try and gain weight (just because I'd personally like to be around 105)...and he's continually said that it's not necessary for me to do that. So if your doctor said that you need too, I would definitely make another appointment and find out exactly why you have to. :) I'd also get information on exactly what types of nutrients you need that you may be lacking.

Well I asked about weight/height and she just looked at an BMI type chart and told me I needed to gain weight.
If your doctor just told you this based on the chart alone, without looking at your particular case specifically, I would definitely ask him again for more information or get a second opinion.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
i am not sure... I have enough fat to have regular periods and I look bigger than I weigh (somewhat muscular).

Your body does need some measure of bodyfat% to operate properly, but you may simply have a very petite frame. Don't bother with BMI - it makes a number of assumptions that make its scale a very general recommendation. If your doctor is using BMI, find a better doctor. Get a second opinion in any case.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Those height/weight charts don't take other factors into consideration. Low-to-midrange for my height is around 120. But when I weigh 120, I have about 28% body fat, which isn't great. I feel best around 108. If you're small-boned, short, and have a fast metabolism, and all other factors check out okay, I don't think I'd listen to the doctor based on charts.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I would give it a go, but if you struggle to maintain a higher weight I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm curious as to why you avoid eating fat though.

G

Glycerine

Those height/weight charts don't take other factors into consideration. Low-to-midrange for my height is around 120. But when I weigh 120, I have about 28% body fat, which isn't great. I feel best around 108. If you're small-boned, short, and have a fast metabolism, and all other factors check out okay, I don't think I'd listen to the doctor based on charts.
yes, I am like too. Even though 95-100 is supposed to be ideal, I was only high 90's to 100 when I was completely sedentary.

I would give it a go, but if you struggle to maintain a higher weight I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I'm curious as to why you avoid eating fat though.
i always thought eating a lot of fat was bad for you so I tend to avoid foods w/ high fat content (usually stick to less than 10 g) or I will eat pizza or fried chicken in moderation.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i always thought eating a lot of fat was bad for you so I tend to avoid foods w/ high fat content (usually stick to less than 10 g) or I will eat pizza or fried chicken in moderation.

There are fats that are healthy for you. Try incorporating (or adding more) avocado, olive oil, nuts, and fatty fish into your diet.

Otherwise, I agree to ask your doc more questions, and maybe even get a second opinion. But if you feel good and live a healthy lifestyle, then don't fret too much over what a stupid chart says.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I would be careful listening to people online who have never met you when there is a Dr. in front of you who is concerned with your health.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I would be careful listening to people online who have never met you when there is a Dr. in front of you who is concerned with your health.

I totally agree. People were basically saying to question the doctor though, rather than ignore him.

Having said all that, sounds like a job for a professional.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm actually Asian and yes, it is an Elliot Smith song. :) So I guess even for Asian standards, I am really underweight.
Ah I'm in the same boat as you. Petite Asian 5'3" at 92-95 pounds? Probably comparable to your shorter height at 80 odd pounds. I look skinny though.

I guess what's most important is maintaining a consistent weight. Each person have their own set point "ideal" weight range. If you're getting somewhere around 2000 calories a day with a good variety of food choices and you still see no difference in your weight then I wouldn't worry too much.

Perhaps your doctor was concern about your recent weight drop. BMI charts aren't useful for somebody who's fine boned but has a high metabolic rate.

I think it's recommended that you have about 1-2 teaspoon of oil/fat every day? Calcium is important though... substitute things like nuts and fortified orange juice/soy etc if necessary... also lactose tolerance can be improved if you drink more milk. Just need to take it slowly. :)

G

Glycerine

Ok from what all you guys said, I am going to up my caloric intake a bit and see where it takes me and check w/ the doctor in a couple months.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have a BMI of around 18.6 which is barely in the normal range. I am very thin but by comparison to what I was as a child (freakishly thin) I am lot more rounded out. And people are quick to judge. Everyone is always telling me to eat more, even people around me that know me. I have a really fast metabolism and actually eat more than the average woman (often more than the average man :blush: ).

But when what you eat has so little bearing on your weight its so important to eat a balanced diet - you can lose track of things easily. I agree what was said about listening to your doctor. Take care of yourself :)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey Pitseleh, ahhh, you got the 'petite' genes. :) I got the Ghengis Khan genes. :D

I think more important than just gaining weight for you would be to be healthy and fit, and by that I mean getting muscle tone and building stamina.

Muscle is heavier than fat and it will serve you better pound for pound. Or at least go halfsies on the weight gain.

Eat more protein?

Follow a sumo wrestler diet?

LOL, not sure.

But yes, I would definitely follow your doctor's advice. Weight and fat % for a young woman correlates now and later to fertility stuff. And osteoporosis. So drink more milk or something.

Okay, I'm gonna stop being that nagging aunt. :D

PS Don't just eat junk food to gain weight! Or eat past when you want. Eat well and make healthy choices.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
You should try to stick to a diet where you eat small meals consistently. Eat carbohydrate rich foods, and always keep some trail/nut mix on hand. You probably just have a really high metabolism.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
You should try to stick to a diet where you eat small meals consistently. Eat carbohydrate rich foods, and always keep some trail/nut mix on hand. You probably just have a really high metabolism.

Doesn't eating like that increase your metabolism?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had my body fat taken once and it was 19%. I eat but I don't always eat healthy things. I don't have an exercise routine right now either. Should I be concerned? What do I do?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had my body fat taken once and it was 19%. I eat but I don't always eat healthy things. I don't have an exercise routine right now either. Should I be concerned? What do I do?

Not sure what the lowest acceptable body fat percentage is.. I know that they like you to be around 25%-30%. And I think age changes it a little bit.

I don't know if having a body fat of 19% is a cause for major concern, but never hurts to prioritize eating healthier and exercising!!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not sure what the lowest acceptable body fat percentage is.. I know that they like you to be around 25%-30%. And I think age changes it a little bit.

I don't know if having a body fat of 19% is a cause for major concern, but never hurts to prioritize eating healthier and exercising!!

Yeah, I was thinking about starting planning my meals and doing some Yoga. Is that good?

One time this nurse scared me cos she said that although I look fine in everyday normal life, if I ever got really sick to the point of hospitalization that I would be in big trouble, cos I would lose a lot of weight and that would not be helpful. That scared me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One time this nurse scared me cos she said that although I look fine in everyday normal life, if I ever got really sick to the point of hospitalization that I would be in big trouble, cos I would lose a lot of weight and that would not be helpful. That scared me.

I think about this, too. I've seen the incredible weight reducing effects of certain food poisoning. I think that if it happened to me, I'd become a skeleton.