• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

% of TypoC members who smoke?

Do you smoke?

• Yes smoke

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • No smoke

Votes: 93 74.4%

• Total voters

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thread is self explanatory.

And yes, I'm 15 and I still smoke. So, suck it, SmokeFree America.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have never smoked. Will never smoke. Waste of life. Waste of money. It's for those who are weak willed.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Still? STILL? When did you start? At kindergarten? :rolli:

I don't smoke. Never have, never will.
Started when I was 14; although, I'm thinking about quitting because I feel like by smoking, I'm slowly becoming one of those people who does it to get accepted/look cool.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I have so much respect for you non smokers, wish I could do it, still, never give up giving up and all that. One day I shall succeed at quitting.

Until then, I'll have to keep going outside the clubs to have my puff of those cancer sticks, in the rain, snow and night time chill weather lol.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OP: But if most people (SmokeFree America) thinks you aren't cool by smoking... why would you do it to look cool? :huh:

And if you want them to stuff it, then why would you stop just to make them all happy? :huh: :huh:

... personally, I don't care if someone smokes, as long as they don't do it around me. More a pragmatic issue, I'm actually sensitive to the smoke, and the smoke soaks into my clothes and stinks, and I am getting to now watch my 2-pack-a-day dad gurgle all the time, unable to breathe, from emphysema; but if people want to do it, that's their own personal decision, it's just a difficult topic because unfortunately when one person smokes, everyone around them suffers some of the effects from it and there's no good way to keep the ramifications separate.

P

Phantonym

Started when I was 14; although, I'm thinking about quitting because I feel like by smoking, I'm slowly becoming one of those people who does it to get accepted/look cool.

You should quit. It's good that you're able to understand why you're actually doing it. If people you hang around with can't accept you for who you are, then it's not worth it.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
"Smoke em if you got em!"

What's the big deal for these non-smokers anyways?

It's as if smoking in public is unethical, when compared to drinking alcohol and driving a car really fast and careless... If it's an issue for ones need to have better air quality, then I would suggest to them to not use up their precious "air time" bitching about it!

The way I see it,... If you don't like the heat, then stay out of the kitchen!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My mom and step dad smoked. I'm glad I was never interested. Turns out my maternal grandmother died of lung cancer. (I found her family a few years back, mom is adopted)

My sister smokes and I have a really hard time understanding. I know many people do it for weight control but I just don't see it. You could probably shoot heroin for weight control, right?

I never had any trouble with people smoking around me because of being exposed to it at my Mom's. It didn't "bother" me. But then I got asthma back as an adult and couldn't go to bars/night clubs and some restaurants because of the smoke. I'm glad it's not allowed inside public places in Ohio because of that. If it doesn't seem to affect you it's hard to realize that it actually makes it very difficult for some people to breathe if you are smoking around them. It's not about "liking" or "tolerating" other people, it's about being able to breathe.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You should quit. It's good that you're able to understand why you're actually doing it. If people you hang around with can't accept you for who you are, then it's not worth it.
I stopped for a while, about a month, but I never really planned on like giving it up for good, which I probably should think about doing...

Also, the ramifications of smoking have been affecting my running endurance...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Grew up with non-smokers.
Sister was heavily anti smoking.
Smoking used to make my throat scream for air.
Never thought smoking was cool though several smokers were idolised in my youth (blame hollywood if you must).
Started smoking just to see what all the bother was about.
Ended up staying smoking because of it's relaxing effects.

As for the side effects of smoking, as I've mentioned before, it IS possible to be socially responsible and still smoke. It DOES however require other's to use their common sense and make allowances just like every other human activity. No matter what you do someone will take objection to it and perhaps before you vent at them you might consider if you're projecting yourself just a little too much.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ok I'm quitting but I don't know how long you need to have stopped before you can say you have stopped smoking... not replied to your poll because of that

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ok I'm quitting but I don't know how long you need to have stopped before you can say you have stopped smoking... not replied to your poll because of that
Someone once said to me that if you are determined to quit then answer any and all questions related with "I don't smoke". It saves the bother and thinking time.

Does tend to confuse one's associates though :newwink:

Mole

Permabanned
My government has been running a campaign against smoking for some time. And they have been very successful in reducing smoking.

So it is instructive to look at those groups which still smoke.

Teenage girls still smoke.
The mentally ill still smoke.
Drug addicts still smoke.
Criminals still smoke.
And the underclass still smoke.

But my government is still not satisfied and has just recently raised the tax on cigarettes. And this is likely to cut the incidence of smoking in just those groups above.

And the high tax on cigarettes is having an effect as contraband tobacco is being sold.

But what I find most interesting is the psychological effects of smoking.

It seems to me that addiction to nicotine destroys the inner life, just as any addiction destroys the inner life.

But just look at those who continue to smoke. It is those whose inner life is so painful, it is better choked, smothered and poisoned by cigarette smoke.

So the first purpose of cigarettes is to kill the painful inner life, and then, only later, to kill the painful outer life.

Cigarettes are a form of inner and outer suicide.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yay, first time I've been able to check the box marked "Don't Smoke".

I started when I was 15 (I will be 36 in two weeks) and smoked a pack a day the entire time. They were $1.40 a pack when I started, and they were $7.85 when I quit in May (on Cinco de Mayo).

Ultimately, I would like to say that I quit for health reasons, but honestly, I quit because they cost too much friggin' money. I mean, $220 a month is just silly, and I guess it was the straw that broke the Camel's back.

Get it, Camel?

o_O

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Yay, first time I've been able to check the box marked "Don't Smoke".

I started when I was 15 (I will be 36 in two weeks) and smoked a pack a day the entire time. They were $1.40 a pack when I started, and they were $7.85 when I quit in May (on Cinco de Mayo).

Ultimately, I would like to say that I quit for health reasons, but honestly, I quit because they cost too much friggin' money. I mean, $220 a month is just silly, and I guess it was the straw that broke the Camel's back.

Get it, Camel?

o_O

What did Joe have to say about that?

I'm in the process of quitting, and you are right, it costs a small fortune to support a silly habit... Any tips?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol, HEY GUYS LET'S SPEND MONEY TO KILL OURSELVES! YEAH THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!

Congrats for wasting your money and basically stating to the world that you have little control over your habits and urges.