97 75.19%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

My mom and step dad smoked. I'm glad I was never interested. Turns out my maternal grandmother died of lung cancer. (I found her family a few years back, mom is adopted)

My sister smokes and I have a really hard time understanding. I know many people do it for weight control but I just don't see it. You could probably shoot heroin for weight control, right?

I never had any trouble with people smoking around me because of being exposed to it at my Mom's. It didn't "bother" me. But then I got asthma back as an adult and couldn't go to bars/night clubs and some restaurants because of the smoke. I'm glad it's not allowed inside public places in Ohio because of that. If it doesn't seem to affect you it's hard to realize that it actually makes it very difficult for some people to breathe if you are smoking around them. It's not about "liking" or "tolerating" other people, it's about being able to breathe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    You should quit. It's good that you're able to understand why you're actually doing it. If people you hang around with can't accept you for who you are, then it's not worth it.
    I stopped for a while, about a month, but I never really planned on like giving it up for good, which I probably should think about doing...

Also, the ramifications of smoking have been affecting my running endurance...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Grew up with non-smokers.
    Sister was heavily anti smoking.
    Smoking used to make my throat scream for air.
    Never thought smoking was cool though several smokers were idolised in my youth (blame hollywood if you must).
    Started smoking just to see what all the bother was about.
    Ended up staying smoking because of it's relaxing effects.

As for the side effects of smoking, as I've mentioned before, it IS possible to be socially responsible and still smoke. It DOES however require other's to use their common sense and make allowances just like every other human activity. No matter what you do someone will take objection to it and perhaps before you vent at them you might consider if you're projecting yourself just a little too much.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

ok I'm quitting but I don't know how long you need to have stopped before you can say you have stopped smoking... not replied to your poll because of that

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    ok I'm quitting but I don't know how long you need to have stopped before you can say you have stopped smoking... not replied to your poll because of that
    Someone once said to me that if you are determined to quit then answer any and all questions related with "I don't smoke". It saves the bother and thinking time.

Does tend to confuse one's associates though
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

My government has been running a campaign against smoking for some time. And they have been very successful in reducing smoking.

So it is instructive to look at those groups which still smoke.

Teenage girls still smoke.
    The mentally ill still smoke.
    Drug addicts still smoke.
    Criminals still smoke.
    And the underclass still smoke.

But my government is still not satisfied and has just recently raised the tax on cigarettes. And this is likely to cut the incidence of smoking in just those groups above.

And the high tax on cigarettes is having an effect as contraband tobacco is being sold.

But what I find most interesting is the psychological effects of smoking.

It seems to me that addiction to nicotine destroys the inner life, just as any addiction destroys the inner life.

But just look at those who continue to smoke. It is those whose inner life is so painful, it is better choked, smothered and poisoned by cigarette smoke.

So the first purpose of cigarettes is to kill the painful inner life, and then, only later, to kill the painful outer life.

Cigarettes are a form of inner and outer suicide.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Yay, first time I've been able to check the box marked "Don't Smoke".

I started when I was 15 (I will be 36 in two weeks) and smoked a pack a day the entire time. They were $1.40 a pack when I started, and they were $7.85 when I quit in May (on Cinco de Mayo).

Ultimately, I would like to say that I quit for health reasons, but honestly, I quit because they cost too much friggin' money. I mean, $220 a month is just silly, and I guess it was the straw that broke the Camel's back.

Get it, Camel?

O_o

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    Yay, first time I've been able to check the box marked "Don't Smoke".

I started when I was 15 (I will be 36 in two weeks) and smoked a pack a day the entire time. They were $1.40 a pack when I started, and they were $7.85 when I quit in May (on Cinco de Mayo).

Ultimately, I would like to say that I quit for health reasons, but honestly, I quit because they cost too much friggin' money. I mean, $220 a month is just silly, and I guess it was the straw that broke the Camel's back.

Get it, Camel?

O_o
    What did Joe have to say about that?

I'm in the process of quitting, and you are right, it costs a small fortune to support a silly habit... Any tips?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    and you are right, it costs a small fortune to support a silly habit... Any tips?
    Shoot heroin, it's cheaper
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Lol, HEY GUYS LET'S SPEND MONEY TO KILL OURSELVES! YEAH THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!

Congrats for wasting your money and basically stating to the world that you have little control over your habits and urges.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)