12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default skinny guy at the gym

I'm skinny, and I don't need muscle, so much as I need strength. You see, I play the trombone, and its a little too heavy/awkward for me. Amidst the counterweight placement experiments, I'm going to the gym to get some strength. My chest is 34 and I'm 5'9", 133lbs. And I'm 20, so I'm pretty small and weak. So what types of exercises should I do? Higher reps and less weight? More isometrics? I'm lookin at the plank, front/back pulldowns, overhead tricep extension, upright row. Any suggestions?

MBTI
    YaYa

I think any of the olympic lifts will do you good.

Clean & Jerk. Snatch. Romanian Deadlift.

If you've never done these though, definately practice with just a broom or bar. Also get some hep from the staff of the gym.

You can fuck yourself up if you go too heavy and don't have proper form.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

If you're skinny like me, do 6-12 repetitions of each small exercise, 1-3 sets. Rest 30 seconds between sets, then repeat. Do with as much of a weight that you can endure for the whole big exercise, which consists of 8-12 smaller exercises. Try to push yourself further each time.

Suppose your one big exercise at the gym includes a leg press, 4 other leg exercises, back exercise, torso rotation and another center-body exercise. That's a total of 8 small exercises. So, for example, you'll do a leg press with big weights and repeat 6-12 times. Then you're supposed to be really exhausted, not being able to do more. You rest for 30-60 seconds, and repeat. Perhaps rest 30-60-seconds more, and repeat once more. Then you'll move on to next small exercise, say, back muscles.

That kind of workout got a good body shape for me. I'm hoping to recover good body shape with a much similar exercise now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You need to build strength in your back primarily. Especially the upper back.
    Here, this site should help. ExRx

MBTI
    ISTx

For back:
    Do dumbbell rows:
    [YOUTUBE="WiH8BAK92Yk"]db row[/YOUTUBE]

Seated rows:

and Lat Pulldowns:

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    For back:
    Do dumbbell rows:
    [YOUTUBE]db row[/YOUTUBE]
    Matt Kroc. Cool choice.

MBTI
    ISTx

I was doing DB rows with 90lbs and I was satisfied with that (I'm not a particularly big guy)! That guy is an animal.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I always think DB rows work my biceps more than my back, despite how much I pay attention to form and movement. I consciously try to "pull" and clench my back to lift the weight, however there's still bicep compensation. I wonder if that's indicative of poor form or weak back? My shoulders and back have always sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I always think DB rows work my biceps more than my back, despite how much I pay attention to form and movement. I consciously try to "pull" and clench my back to lift the weight, however there's still bicep compensation. I wonder if that's indicative of poor form or weak back? My shoulders and back have always sucked.
    Try thinking about pulling from your elbow. Same with pulldowns.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Try thinking about pulling from your elbow. Same with pulldowns.
    Well, I try to envision making my shoulder blades "meet" together in the middle of my back, I also try not to grip too hard, because I find that when I do I automatically give more of the weight to the arm instead of the back. But I'll try the elbow thing, thanks!