User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTx

You're probably lifting too heavy. Get a light ass weight and just go through the movement, concentrating on targeting your intended muscle group (upper back). Once you've gotten familiar with that squeeze, go up in weight.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    You're probably lifting too heavy. Get a light ass weight and just go through the movement, concentrating on targeting your intended muscle group (upper back). Once you've gotten familiar with that squeeze, go up in weight.
    Listen to Beat.

When beginning (especially when beginning) a new weight routine, proper technique should be your primary focus. Besides reducing the likelihood of injury, you're evenly working the muscle groups appropriate to your machine/routine of choice.

Start light. Master technique. Build reps. Add weight.

Repeat as necessary.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night
    When beginning (especially when beginning) a new weight routine, proper technique should be your primary focus. Besides reducing the likelihood of injury, you're evenly working the muscle groups appropriate to your machine/routine of choice.

Start light. Master technique. Build reps. Add weight.

Repeat as necessary.

People think it's all about slinging the weight around. Then wonder why they get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post

People think it's all about slinging the weight around. Then wonder why they get hurt.
    Speaking of throwing weights around. I remember reading about Vasiliy Alekseyev's warm up of throwing a 100kg barbell over his head.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Speaking of throwing weights around. I remember reading about Vasiliy Alekseyev's warm up of throwing a 100kg barbell over his head.
    And I'll bet he didn't start out doing that as a newbie. And of course, genetics always plays a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    And I'll bet he didn't start out doing that as a newbie. And of course, genetics always plays a part.
    No doubt he didn't. I remember reading how Kazmaier deadlifted 220kg the first time he walked into a gym. But I'm just telling stories. Lift with good form, build reps, add weight. Just like Milo did with the calf.