• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lady Cups

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I would like to try it, 12 hours is a long time so it would be nice to not worry about it. Except tampons are uncomfortable for me, I dont have a strong flow so it's always like a hard cotton stick up there. And yes, I have experimented with the different positions to insert the tampon and it's the same thing. The cup I'm assuming is a softer texture?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Elaur, I probably ought to start a new thread for this or just PM you, but I can't say enough good things about the Mirena IUD. If you're considering ablation I assume it's because you have uncomfortable cycles? I did too, so when I asked my midwife about the copper IUD she suggested the Mirena instead (since the copper one can make periods heavier). I was concerned about the hormone but she said that it's only released locally inside the uterus and only a tiny amount gets into the bloodstream. So I decided since my insurance covered it, the worst that could happen is I ask them to take it out after a few weeks/months. But I didn't end up needing to do that and I've had it for 4 years now. My periods are like nothing. I'm totally a Mirena evangelist now.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ivy, I have the same thing. Only, I've found the placement a nightmare and I'm scared for the removal of that thing too...

But yeah, once your body is used to it, it tends to work brilliantly. I have the odd series of cramps now and then, and the odd spotting, but nothing compared to before.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I had a bad experience with the pill in my 20s (low sex drive and didn't feel too good) so I've tried to avoid anything that wasn't "natural" - I don't know about an IUD or the drugs on it. My Dr. suggested an IUD, actually.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I also had a bad experience with the pill which is why I was concerned about the Mirena. My midwife was very vocal about it, though, that it is only a local hormone and doesn't cause the sex drive/mood problems I had with the pill.

I didn't find the placement to be much worse than a pap, but I've heard it can be pretty painful for women who have not given birth. I don't know if you have or not, Amargith, but I have heard that. If that's the case, I've also heard that removal is a cinch compared to insertion, so I hope that's the case for you.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah...no kids yet *cringes at the idea of getting a new one*

I actually passed out afterwards from the pain and the getting up too sudden right after. I've heard that removal is worse than placement..but I'm hoping you're right :peepwall:

Still..it's 5 years of no worrying, so it does at least have that going for it.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm too much of a chicken to try those things. I have so many problems with inflaming and sudden lower body pain that I couldn't conscience it, esp not during my period when I'm in the most pain I'm going to be during the month. I stopped using tampons ages ago, and commercial pads make my skin feel raw and burned. I use the washable version, which isn't nearly so gross as some might initially think. Then again, as a vegan, my periods aren't nearly so heavy as that of my girlfriends. When I was a teenager, it could look like the battle of Agincourt in my nether-regions.

EDIT: The pill kicked my butt. I almost wound up in the ER because of it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
OK, I've now used it two nights in a row. No leaking, didn't feel it.

I'm still having issues taking it out. What I'm doing is using my thumb to break the seal instead of grasping the base and pinching until the seal pops. It's easier for me although messier than what I'm reading. I'm not wearing it for the rest of my period because I think I need to give my cootchie a rest. It feels abused. From what I'm reading it takes about three cycles for most people to get the hang of it.

Menstrual Cups - Divacup, Mooncup, Instead, Lunette, Miacup has been a good resource.

I'm noticing when there's a co-ed discussion about things women really talk about things get pretty quiet from the guys. I was on that Museum of Menstruation website and in some country the word for women is "the person with red stuff running down their legs." I'm totally reaching back into my women's lit/history classes, but I think talking about periods ruins male fantasies in some sort of way. Like you're vagina should be queefing, or ejaculating, or wet, or ejecting ping pong balls, but not having yeast infections or bleeding.

Is this making sense?

I just sort of reach till I am under the pubic bone and use just the tip of my finger to pull it out/pop the seal. It did take about three periods for me to get the hang of it too. I haven't used a tampon since the whole Rely tampons/toxic shock thing so I did feel a little battered as well.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I haven't used a tampon since the whole Rely tampons/toxic shock thing so I did feel a little battered as well.

The chemicals in pads/tampons really aren't a good idea for absorption into the skin of such a delicate area. I'm suprised more women aren't concerned about it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I admit I'm squeamish about putting bleached paper in my ladybits. I have some Glad Rags that I usually use, but that doesn't help with swimming, etc. And I find that people are even less receptive to those than they are Keepers/Diva Cups/et. al.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I honestly hadn't heard about these things at all, sound worth trying as I hate pads and I don't like the tampon experience even though I choose it for the freedom.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Damnit. I wasn't saying I found MY OWN coochie (or, coochies in general) unhygienic - what puts me off a bit is the whole fingers that are unwashed/possibly public bathroom skuzz/toilet proximity thing. Gotta little coochie/germ phobia. And even tho the toxic shock scare was before my time, I'm aware of it and it has helped to instill and back-up that feeling of...hmmm...don't really want to be sticking objects in there for extended periods of time thing.

Ftr, my sister LOVES her cup.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm too much of a chicken to try those things. I have so many problems with inflaming and sudden lower body pain that I couldn't conscience it, esp not during my period when I'm in the most pain I'm going to be during the month. I stopped using tampons ages ago, and commercial pads make my skin feel raw and burned. I use the washable version, which isn't nearly so gross as some might initially think. Then again, as a vegan, my periods aren't nearly so heavy as that of my girlfriends. When I was a teenager, it could look like the battle of Agincourt in my nether-regions.

EDIT: The pill kicked my butt. I almost wound up in the ER because of it.

I had problems with pads when Always added to their products 'dry weave'. Eventually my periods started getting longer than 7 days. The first two days where so heavy that I couldn't find a comercial pad to be absorbant enough for overnight. My midwife also said during my first pregnancy, that I shouldn't use products with 'dry weave' since they tend to dissolve stitches if I should tear.

So I started to do some research on the internet regarding alternatives and ended up buying from lundpads. Lunapads also offered a post partum kit that I found useful for my heavy flows. Before the pregnancy of my third child, I have to say that my period only lasted 5 days (5 years of washable pads) but I truely cannot say if it was the natural products or my pregnancies that changed my period. The shorter period is also why I ended up pregnant; I miscalulated the day of my ovulation. :)

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Aha, all my roomies and suitemates are on the pill...I'm jealous. Their periods look like nothing and I'm the one in the fetal position. >.<

As for the OP, I am much too chicken to use something like that; tampons are hard enough for me to handle. Them, pads, and Midol, and I have my period weapons at the ready. :D

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
kant, i totally agree. public restrooms are like giant petri dishes waiting to infect you. i avoid them as much as possible.

ring the bell

I'm a newbie to it.. but i'm loving it. I haven't had any problems with the leaking. It was a bit strange getting used to getting into the right position at first. After I got that down, I could hardly tell it was there. If you don't get it high enough in (I have the Diva cup), then you can feel it. Practice and time makes it okay, really.

Of course, I was a little squimish at first seeing what was coming out of there... but hell, it's mine at least...good luck!

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I made the mistake of not taking the utmost care with insertion :doh:

That's all I have to say about it.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
im sticking to pads. tampons freaked me out...plus i tend to be more turned on while im on my period than any other time, so placing a tampon in....it just isnt wise for me ;)
so i just do pads, period.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've used them in the past, I think they're good for certain occasions ... like say, wanting to have sex while you're on your period...but other than that I think they're gross, messy, and awkward.

I use a combo of tampons and pads. Tampons when I go out, pads for comfort when I stay in + extra security when I sleep.