• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lady Cups

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm actually asking what you mean? Your posts aren't very informative. Us talking about it bothers you? The subject itself? Seeing this thread?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have not actually. My plan currently is to sterilize myself with an ensure or whatever it's called later on in life, and for now just stick to good old fashioned careful sex and finding things to make menses less of an inconvenience for my crazy schedule. Have you tried it? did it have any adverse effects? I'm becoming more of a hippy by the day, so hormones are starting to freak me out slowly but surely. Birth control is just a no-no for me right now.

I did try it, and it didn't work for me, but that's because I had dysfunctional uterine bleeding at the time rather than normal periods. My roommate, however, used Depo to stop her periods just because she was an athlete and tired of having to deal with it, and it worked for her extremely well. I have also just stayed on the pill (with the doctor's permission) with no break for bleeding, and that worked beautifully for me, too.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I did try it, and it didn't work for me, but that's because I had dysfunctional uterine bleeding at the time rather than normal periods. My roommate, however, used Depo to stop her periods just because she was an athlete and tired of having to deal with it, and it worked for her extremely well. I have also just stayed on the pill (with the doctor's permission) with no break for bleeding, and that worked beautifully for me, too.

Did she mention having issues with spotting and things of that nature? The only thing that looked potentially more annoying than having a semi-guessable bleeding period was the potential for it to bleed anytime and thus having to wear something constantly just in case. I had wanted to try a BC that reduced periods to like 4 times a year, but it said the first year has many issues with spotting and I was just not down for that.

Also, is there weight gain involved with the Depo shot? If spotting isn't too big of a concern and weight gain isn't a factor I may very well look into this.. It would help a lot.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would recommend the Mirena except that it also has spotting issues for the first.. not usually a whole year, but plenty of time for it not to be practical for you when you're going to be in the field.

But after the kinks get worked out, this thing is heaven. Seriously. I love it with all of my body and soul.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got the Depo shot twice and although it didn't work for my issues, I didn't have a problem with weight gain. Neither did my roommate. I'd think you could take care of spotting with a lady cup until it has worked itself out. I've said this before, probably in this thread, but for convenience I'll say again -- you don't ever have to actually stop the pill unless you like to see yourself bleed. What you're having when you're on the pill is not really a period anyway. There's no reason to go off it for a week. So if you can take any kind of pill, just ask your doctor to prescribe it so you can take the active pills every day and throw out the placebo, et voila, no period. I did that for many years with no ill effects whatsoever.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I would recommend the Mirena except that it also has spotting issues for the first.. not usually a whole year, but plenty of time for it not to be practical for you when you're going to be in the field.

But after the kinks get worked out, this thing is heaven. Seriously. I love it with all of my body and soul.

Is it just as well for people whom have never had children? I heard talk of some issues regarding people who haven't had children yet.. if it is as nice as you say, it would be worth having to deal with the spotting.. I wouldn't be able to get anything installed for myself either way..

I got the Depo shot twice and although it didn't work for my issues, I didn't have a problem with weight gain. Neither did my roommate. I'd think you could take care of spotting with a lady cup until it has worked itself out. I've said this before, probably in this thread, but for convenience I'll say again -- you don't ever have to actually stop the pill unless you like to see yourself bleed. What you're having when you're on the pill is not really a period anyway. There's no reason to go off it for a week. So if you can take any kind of pill, just ask your doctor to prescribe it so you can take the active pills every day and throw out the placebo, et voila, no period. I did that for many years with no ill effects whatsoever.

Hmm. Viable options, both. I'll have to ask my doctor and see what he recommends when I get back. I definitely can't deal with taking pills everyday, I'll forget for sure. I can barely remember my malaria pills and I only have to take them for 9 months.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you put your pill pack next to your toothbrush? That way you take it when you brush your teeth in the morning.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is it just as well for people whom have never had children? I heard talk of some issues regarding people who haven't had children yet.. if it is as nice as you say, it would be worth having to deal with the spotting.. I wouldn't be able to get anything installed for myself either way.

I believe there is often more cramping at insertion and the couple of days following (and the cramping can be pretty heavy even if you've got a "proven uterus," heh) but I don't think once it's in that it's any different for women who have never given birth. A lot of doctors won't prescribe or insert it for a woman who hasn't had a child but many will, including most Planned Parenthood clinics, I think.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hmm... Definitely something to look into. May be an option my mom won't hate as much as when I told her I was sterilizing myself. :laugh: That was a bad day. :doh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Just thought I'd mention.. I ordered my pads and cup from lunapads.com but partyinmypants is offering a free panty liner.. you just pay shipping.. I ordered one from them because liners typically cost like $12 before shipping, so anyone who wants to order one for cheap to get a feel for how they work could try them.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
partyinmypants?? I want to order something from them just to provide positive feedback for that name! It's awesome.

I really, really can't say enough good things about the Mirena, really. I'm two years in, on my second one, so seven years total. I never think about birth control, and my periods are so light and short that I don't even plan vacations around them anymore. I do have to wear a pad for a couple of days, but even if I didn't wear anything it would never leak all the way through my clothes. Some people's periods stop altogether. Personally, I'm glad to have a little something every month, just as a reassurance that I'm not pregnant and everything down in that urrea still works the way it's supposed to work.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess

Is it just as well for people whom have never had children? I heard talk of some issues regarding people who haven't had children yet.. if it is as nice as you say, it would be worth having to deal with the spotting.. I wouldn't be able to get anything installed for myself either way..

I believe there is often more cramping at insertion and the couple of days following (and the cramping can be pretty heavy even if you've got a "proven uterus," heh) but I don't think once it's in that it's any different for women who have never given birth. A lot of doctors won't prescribe or insert it for a woman who hasn't had a child but many will, including most Planned Parenthood clinics, I think.

I have Mirena (and no children). Love. Love. Love. Love it. Seriously.

The deal with IUDs is... They used to be trouble for women who hadn't had children. They would almost always expel. However, modern IUDs are designed with younger women in mind, so they're perfectly fine for women who haven't had children now. Especially the Mirena. Ivy is right about the insertion being really painful, I won't lie to you there. It's pretty bad, and you'll cramp up hard for a day or two. But I would get it done again in a heartbeat. So worth it.

I haven't had a period since the day I got it inserted. No spotting. Nothing. That was over a year ago. (Granted, those results aren't totally typical.)

I was on the pill for a long time and couldn't remember it. I was on the 'patch' and it made me feel sick. Depo Provera wreaked HAVOC on my system. Seriously, I will NEVER recommend Depo Provera to anyone. AWFUL TIME. I did the 'Nuva Ring' for awhile, which I would recommend. It's really good for regulating your cycle, and you only have to insert/remove it twice a month. But the Mirena is my one true love. <3

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
partyinmypants?? I want to order something from them just to provide positive feedback for that name! It's awesome.

I really, really can't say enough good things about the Mirena, really. I'm two years in, on my second one, so seven years total. I never think about birth control, and my periods are so light and short that I don't even plan vacations around them anymore. I do have to wear a pad for a couple of days, but even if I didn't wear anything it would never leak all the way through my clothes. Some people's periods stop altogether. Personally, I'm glad to have a little something every month, just as a reassurance that I'm not pregnant and everything down in that urrea still works the way it's supposed to work.

I have Mirena (and no children). Love. Love. Love. Love it. Seriously.

The deal with IUDs is... They used to be trouble for women who hadn't had children. They would almost always expel. However, modern IUDs are designed with younger women in mind, so they're perfectly fine for women who haven't had children now. Especially the Mirena. Ivy is right about the insertion being really painful, I won't lie to you there. It's pretty bad, and you'll cramp up hard for a day or two. But I would get it done again in a heartbeat. So worth it.

I haven't had a period since the day I got it inserted. No spotting. Nothing. That was over a year ago. (Granted, those results aren't totally typical.)

I was on the pill for a long time and couldn't remember it. I was on the 'patch' and it made me feel sick. Depo Provera wreaked HAVOC on my system. Seriously, I will NEVER recommend Depo Provera to anyone. AWFUL TIME. I did the 'Nuva Ring' for awhile, which I would recommend. It's really good for regulating your cycle, and you only have to insert/remove it twice a month. But the Mirena is my one true love. <3

what it be worth it for someone who needs to go on BC not because they're having sex, but because they get really bad cramps and have mood swings to the point of thinking about suicide and BC pills are likely to be forgotten to be taken. or should i go the old fashion route? to regulate my hormones

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
what it be worth it for someone who needs to go on BC not because they're having sex, but because they get really bad cramps and have mood swings to the point of thinking about suicide and BC pills are likely to be forgotten to be taken. or should i go the old fashion route? to regulate my hormones

Nothing says you cannot do both.. I believe there are IUDs that simply block passages with no hormones involved at all. so you could be on BC for the sake of hormone regulation, and still be potentially protected sexually if the time came. :shrug:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Can't believe I missed this post! :laugh: Yeah I love the name too. They have a spenders club called the PIMP Club. It's priceless all the way around.

Sounds like when I get home it'll be something to look into, especially before taking off to this country again. :yes: Thanks for all of the great reviews..