• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lady Cups

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Now I'm part of the problem!!!:doh:

But seriously, any ladies have experience with menstrual cups? I'm thinking of getting a Diva Cup. What did women do before sanitary napkins and tampons?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

But seriously, any ladies have experience with menstrual cups? I'm thinking of getting a Diva Cup. What did women do before sanitary napkins and tampons?

They never left the cave, so it didn't matter.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think when I read Things Fall Apart or some book based in a time I didn't live there was some description of sitting in leaves for days. That sounds fun!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh, i had to come and have a look. Lady cups????

I have never heard of this before. Thank god for google images.

OK, now i have seen the diva cup, i can only ask WHY????

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Oh, i had to come and have a look. Lady cups????

I have never heard of this before. Thank god for google images.

OK, now i have seen the diva cup, i can only ask WHY????

I have no real reason other than I saw it on the shelf and I want to give it a try. Evidently it's more eco-friendly, earth goddess-y, cheaper, and about as much trouble as putting in a tampon.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I think when I read Things Fall Apart or some book based in a time I didn't live there was some description of sitting in leaves for days. That sounds fun!

:rofl1:

I dunno anything about cups, I've heard of them but I always thought it sounded uncomfortable and potentially disastrous. I've also heard of women wearing reusable (and eco friendly :D) cloth pads, but my guess is that would only work if you had a really light flow.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

wouldn't use personally, but I beleive they are better for the planet. I'm not sure about the sanity side.

As for pre-tampons/ST.... well I beleive that women tore up strips of linnen/cloth and washed them out....

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have no real reason other than I saw it on the shelf and I want to give it a try. Evidently it's more eco-friendly, earth goddess-y, cheaper, and about as much trouble as putting in a tampon.

Hmmmm. OK, lol.

I am curious now, i am not finding any proper info on these.

So you insert, it fills up and then you remove it and clean it out
Or
Insert, fill up, pull off nozzle, contents comes out. Take out after x amount of time and clean thoroughly.

There is always one .. Sorry :blush:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Hmmmm. OK, lol.

I am curious now, i am not finding any proper info on these.

So you insert, it fills up and then you remove it and clean it out
Or
Insert, fill up, pull off nozzle, contents comes out. Take out after x amount of time and clean thoroughly.

There is always one .. Sorry :blush:

Yeah that's basically it. Then you have the different types of folds and what not. Honestly, I'm wearing it now, feels fine and I didn't have any problems putting it in.

Menstrual cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Diva Cup Review
Breastfeeding Mums Blog: The Lunette Menstrual Cup - A Whole New Discovery for Me!

Why do you think they called it the Dark Ages?

Because the sun was dimmer? Gawd, I'm such a prima donna.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I was once in someone's room, and I gestured to a strange receptacle on her desk. "What is this, anyway?" I asked.
"My minstrel cup," I heard her respond.
"Your what?"
"Minstrel cup."
"For... your minstrels? Or is this what you use when you play in front of the BART station?"
"I put it in my vagina," she said, "and it collects menstrual fluid."
"Oh." I paused. "So no minstrels, then."

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can't use one because I have an IUD, but if I didn't have an IUD I would totally use one of these. I hate the wastefulness of pads and tampons.

I don't think I'd leave it out on my desk though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

BTW, prote, to truly be part of the problem you'd need to title this thread something like "Receptacles for Periodically Juicy Vaginas" or something of that nature.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I was once in someone's room, and I gestured to a strange receptacle on her desk. "What is this, anyway?" I asked.
"My minstrel cup," I heard her respond.
"Your what?"
"Minstrel cup."
"For... your minstrels? Or is this what you use when you play in front of the BART station?"
"I put it in my vagina," she said, "and it collects menstrual fluid."
"Oh." I paused. "So no minstrels, then."

Whenever I want to freak out my guy friends I throw a (sealed) tampon at them. They scamper like rodents.

I can't use one because I have an IUD, but if I didn't have an IUD I would totally use one of these. I hate the wastefulness of pads and tampons.

I don't think I'd leave it out on my desk though.

I think I would, just as a conversation piece. :yes: See above.

Anyways, since I've been sitting on the computer all afternoon I found this:
What did women use for menstruation in Europe and America from 1700 - 1900, and probably earlier?
Many - most? - women probably used nothing.
Read this translated German quote:

"How did women handle their menstruation in daily life? In 1899 a German woman physician wrote the following advice in a book for German middle-class women ("Health in the House"):

'It is completely disgusting to bleed into your chemise, and wearing that same chemise for four to eight days can cause infections.'

"This was the age-old custom for rural women and women from the lower classes. Virtually only women in the theater professions wore close-fitting pads [Binden - see a modern American 'theatrical tampon'] or sponges and few women wore underpants or even used pads, which they made from cloth. Washing and changing underclothing was regarded as unhealthy, because women feared it would block the bleeding or cause more intense bleeding."
(The above is my translation of a quote, below, from "Zur Geschichte der Unterwäsche 1700-1960." 1988. Historisches Museum Frankfurt, p. 336, written by two women, Almut Junker and Eva Stille.

(Probably because of the increasing acceptance of germ theory, the authors report that German doctors in the 1880s and 1890s started proposing menstrual devices for women to wear to improve their health, for example here and here. American patents for menstrual devices start in 1854 for a belt with steel springs to hold a pad, but really don't pick up steam until the 1870s. In her PhD dissertation, Menstrual Technology in the United States [1994], Laura Klosterman Kidd writes that she found no proof that anyone used these patented devices, although it seems likely someone must have.)

BTW, prote, to truly be part of the problem you'd need to title this thread something like "Receptacles for Periodically Juicy Vaginas" or something of that nature.

Actually the original title was "Lady cups for the cum dump."

Last edited:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems like the biggest issue would be emptying it in public. You basically can't wash it out in a public restroom (i.e. at work). I doubt anyone would want to go to the sink to wash their hands and find someone next to them rinsing one of those out. :shock:

Whenever I want to freak out my guy friends I throw a (sealed) tampon at them. They scamper like rodents.

:rofl1:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems like the biggest issue would be emptying it in public. You basically can't wash it out in a public restroom (i.e. at work). I doubt anyone would want to go to the sink to wash their hands and find someone next to them rinsing one of those out. :shock:
This is what I'm wondering since otherwise I'd be very tempted to get one, for the cost savings alone...

Still, maybe use tampons or etc in public and the cup the rest of the time. Or how else could you do it?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

You don't have to do that. At least I don't because you can wear them up to 12 hrs. I put a new one in when I'm in the shower in the morning and I take it out in the shower before bed (I use the elliptical in the evening so I need another shower) then a nighttime pad. I use this one.

Menstrual Cups, Period Products, Feminine & Menstruation Products - Instead Softcup

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Since you can leave it in for up to 12 hours, I imagine public restrooms are not that big of a deal. If you had to empty it every time you went to the toilet that could be inconvenient. I think if you had to you could empty it in the toilet, wipe it out with a tissue, and just wash it out when you get home.