User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Thread: Lady Cups

MBTI
    ENTP

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to know a bit more about these. I really want to try these (cheaper in the long run, environmentally friendly, and I wouldn't run out of pads at the most awkward times).

There is one major problem though: I'm in college, and essentially obliged to use public restrooms. The only restrooms in the dorms are the public type with stalls. Also, they are all coed (which I guess could be hilarious... ). How feasible is it to deal with in this sort of situation, or should I just wait a few years to try one? I don't much care about washing a bloody thing in front of the guys in my dorm (I'd be teasing them about it, not the other way around), but it seems awkward to use in a public restroom. I do know of one essentially unused female restroom, but it still has the stall setup I think. I'm not sure-first I'd have to find it, which is far from trivial because the architect of our dorms was absolutely insane, and it's not really in a location most people go.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Oooo, really not a good idea unless it's your own private bathroom.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I forget my response in here, honestly.

I can say I knew a girl who complained she used one and it "slipped" out of place before.. Making a huge, embarrassing mess, although luckily not in public like at the store or something.

I dunno.. I think if I were at home the whole time and had nothing else to do it would be fine. But honestly, I jump around, move about, I'm frequently in public and around other people's latrines.. so I just don't see it so suitable for me. I'd rather someone see a clean tampon fall out of my cargo pocket than someone walk in while I'm washing a cup of sludge out.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to know a bit more about these. I really want to try these (cheaper in the long run, environmentally friendly, and I wouldn't run out of pads at the most awkward times).

There is one major problem though: I'm in college, and essentially obliged to use public restrooms. The only restrooms in the dorms are the public type with stalls. Also, they are all coed (which I guess could be hilarious... ). How feasible is it to deal with in this sort of situation, or should I just wait a few years to try one? I don't much care about washing a bloody thing in front of the guys in my dorm (I'd be teasing them about it, not the other way around), but it seems awkward to use in a public restroom. I do know of one essentially unused female restroom, but it still has the stall setup I think. I'm not sure-first I'd have to find it, which is far from trivial because the architect of our dorms was absolutely insane, and it's not really in a location most people go.
    OK, this is how you deal with the stall issue. I have to do the same thing at work and I've found a satisfactory solution.

You'll only need these two things:
    • travel sized baby wipes or intimate cleansing wipes
    • sanitary gloves (latex, nitrile, vinyl, whatever)

Use the glove to pop out the lady cup so you don't have a mess on your hands. Wipe it out with the cleansing wipes and replace. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

I'm totally devoted to my diva cup and I've done some proselytizing over the last year. Other women may scoff and tell me how gross it it, but I when I have to hole up in my home when the zombies come or society disintegrates, I'll be chillin.

On another note, I'm kind of dumbstruck with how uncomfortable women are with the concept of lady cups. I don't know if this has already come up in the thread, but the squeamishness is surprising and saddening. So many of the same women are like "it's our bodies" when it comes to other issues but mention this and they turn in to squealing middle school girls.

kyuuei, if you're concerned about slippage, different cups having different sizing...much like a bra. You may want to try which one fits. I know the price of lady cups tend to range anywhere from $30 - $40 but you'll save that much money in less than a year when you find the right one.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

How do you guess at sizing? Do they give you some idea of where to start?

I have been surprised even at how many women find the idea of tampons unappealing. I think one advantage of that and of DivaCups is that you have a much better awareness of how your body is set up internally, which I think lends a much greater degree of both comfort and knowledge about your physical health and sexuality.

A window to the soul

This whole messy concept blows my mind; I can't deal with it. I must run.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    On another note, I'm kind of dumbstruck with how uncomfortable women are with the concept of lady cups. I don't know if this has already come up in the thread, but the squeamishness is surprising and saddening. So many of the same women are like "it's our bodies" when it comes to other issues but mention this and they turn in to squealing middle school girls.
    That totally made me think of:

Or the updated version:

Our Bodies, Ourselves

The original had a full page black and white picture of a woman using a mirror to check out her own vagina (technically externally, labia, etc.). It was blowing people's minds back then and it still does today :girlpower:
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Seriously. I don't get it. It's especially puzzling when it comes from women who pride themselves on being unflappable about everything else, but the thought of a little menstrual blood FROM THEIR OWN BODY on their fingers is just unfathomable. News flash, you've got a vagina, it does this thing every month, get over it.

I can't use a cup because I have an IUD but if I didn't, I would be all over it.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Seriously. I don't get it. It's especially puzzling when it comes from women who pride themselves on being unflappable about everything else, but the thought of a little menstrual blood FROM THEIR OWN BODY on their fingers is just unfathomable. News flash, you've got a vagina, it does this thing every month, get over it.

I can't use a cup because I have an IUD but if I didn't, I would be all over it.
    That's just it, I have pride and I'm realistic. Anything as messy as what you just described is not practical or sanitary. It sounds like a very low tech, reusable device designed for poor people and environmentalists.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    That's just it, I have pride and I'm realistic. Anything as messy as what you just described is not practical or sanitary. It sounds like a very low tech, reusable device designed for poor people and environmentalists.

There's this thing called "washing your hands after using the bathroom," it helps with the sanitary issues. You might get some blood on your hands when you use a tampon too. OH NOES