• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Skipped Muay Thai yesterday.

It's weird, my reading for class tired me out so much that I just ended up going to sleep about 10pm.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's time for Udog's Nano Challenge™. Hey, why are you looking at me like that? This challenge thing is a totally original idea! :ninja: I'm going to challenge myself to follow the "No Sugar, No Flour" diet by Dr. Gott for the next two weeks. The diet is as simple, and as hard, as it sounds: I will avoid sugar and flour for the next 2 weeks, starting now. The goal here is to rid myself of the taste for sweets.

Oh, and I woke up early and did Back and Biceps at the gym this morning. I'm feeling pretty good, but kind of slezzzzzzzzzzz*
I can't join you in the diet, though I am curious to know
what else there is to eat besides flour and sugar?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

That's a good question, considering food is mostly made up of sugars, fats, and proteins.

Unless he means refined sugar.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a brief review of the diet: Dr. Gott's No Flour No Sugar Diet - Diet Review. It's simple, but a bit extreme. I plan on sticking to it only for 2 weeks to help rid myself of my craving for sweets.

And yeah, I mean processed sugars. Sorry for not clarifying that.

Hap, the 3 macronutrients are carbohydrates, fat, and protein. What is normally considered as sugar (glucose, sucrose, fructose) is classified as a simple carbohydrate. Complex carbs are more like fiber (fruits, veggies) and starches (potatoes).

The problem with processed sugars is that they are densely packed with calories but contain no nutrients. A highly processed sugar diet makes it possible for you to eat 3,000 calories a day and still be malnourished. Which means your body may be in a form of starvation mode, because it's not getting the food it needs to run properly. You lose on multiple levels.

Fruit still contains sugars, but it also contains nutrients and fiber (mostly in the peel), making a 100 calorie apple pack alot of nutrition.

Carbs are good. The brain needs them for energy.

Lots of whole foods. Fruits, veggies, meats (some meats are healthier than others), dairy, spices, nuts, and legumes.

If you can't give up pasta and white bread, a good alternative is whole grain pasta and whole grain bread. The carbs aren't as refined. Plus, I personally find they have a richer taste.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
That picture's not me. It's some random Internet dude who cheated on his wife. But maybe if someone uses all 10 of their cheat days they have to do that to get back in the challenge? ;)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Here's last week's.

10/19
Had a parfait for breakfast, an egg salad sandwich with veggies+chips+grapes for lunch, and some butternut squash soup for dinner.
Eating: good
Exercise: no

10/20
Parfait for breakfast. Lunch was some sweet potato fries, and odwalla, and a cliff bar. For dinner I had stew on egg noodles and buttered bread. Did about 20 minutes of yoga.
Eating: pretty good
Exercise: some

10/21
Parfait for breakfast. Had an early dinner of chicken, rice and green beans and some sugar cookies. Still feeling kind of sick, but well enough to get some exercise. Did 15 minutes of yoga to warm up, went for a 20 minute jog, and did another 20 minutes of yoga after.
Exercise: yes

10/22
Parfait for breakfast, bagel and cream cheese for lunch, eggs+mushrooms and spinach+biscuits and gravy+banana bread for dinner. Walked around a lot and took the stairs.
Exercise: a little

10/23
Had something for lunch but didn't write it down. Dinner of tortillas, chicken, rice, beans and veggies. Chai tea and hot cocoa. Walked around a lot.
Eating: ok
Exercise: some

10/24
Fruit, yogurt and a scone for lunch. Hot cocoa. Did 10 minutes of yoga, 30 minutes jogging/walking/sprinting, and 10 more minutes of yoga.
Exercise: yes

10/25
Had almonds and poptarts for lunch. Dinner was quiche, carrots, and gelato.
Exercise: no

TOTAL
Exercise: 3/3 (It was split up more, but I was actually very active this week)

I'm pretty happy with how I did this week, especially since I was feeling kind of sick for part of it. Also I've realized it might not be possible for me to get in hour-long workouts just because things are getting kind of hectic, so I'm going to try to break it up into smaller workouts that I do every day and larger ones that I do a couple times a week, that way at least I actually get the exercise.

wolfy

awsm
I trained upper body yesterday. It was a good training session. I've been keeping carbs low too. I had oden for dinner this evening.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
25 min Tae Bo/Ab workout

Too rainy to walk today. Again. AUGH. I heard that this was the wettest October here on record.

I have the opportunity to make my own dinner tonight though :D Planning on garlic/onion couscous with soybeans and maybe some soup.

I have a feeling that if I keep this up I'll end up built like a sumo wrestler.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, weight training yesterday revealed that I REALLY need to up the stakes on my upper body strength. I lack it, and I'm diminishing in my abilities and it's hurting my Krav Maga sessions. So weight training will have a hardcore focus on training my arms after cardio, with ab work at the end.. Aerobics does a good job of training my legs and abs, so this will help balance it all out.

Anyways, I demolished the circuit training in aerobics. It was pretty fun, the stations we did. Then Krav Maga class kicked my ass on the conditioning portion of the class, but technique wise I'm definitely getting better. Nothing is muscle memory yet, but I think I'll start writing down techniques I learn in my blog to keep me on track. :)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
So, weight training yesterday revealed that I REALLY need to up the stakes on my upper body strength. I lack it, and I'm diminishing in my abilities and it's hurting my Krav Maga sessions. So weight training will have a hardcore focus on training my arms after cardio, with ab work at the end.. Aerobics does a good job of training my legs and abs, so this will help balance it all out.
You shouldn't just do arms, do your whole upper body. It's all connected. If you strengthen one part at the expense of something else, you set yourself up to get hurt.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just got back from CSW. Feel great.

Kinda torqued my buddies shoulder a little bit during a kimura today.

We were doing a lot of clinch pummeling.

I just realized that there are a bunch of videos from my gym on youtube.

This is the gym's owner and head coach, Kenny Barry doing a little promo.
[YOUTUBE="ZBInNVbgDjE"]WMA Jax[/YOUTUBE]

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Just got back from CSW. Feel great.

Kinda torqued my buddies shoulder a little bit during a kimura today.

We were doing a lot of clinch pummeling.

Didn't realize you were an Eric Paulson guy.

Yeah kimura can be dangerous if you just wait for the pain to tap.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkh5H02Iw2M"]Ouch[/YOUTUBE]

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You shouldn't just do arms, do your whole upper body. It's all connected. If you strengthen one part at the expense of something else, you set yourself up to get hurt.

This is a great point. Currently I do bicep curls, tricep extensions, and bench press and lateral pulls. Is there any other ones that help with all over muscle strength??

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
This is a great point. Currently I do bicep curls, tricep extensions, and bench press and lateral pulls. Is there any other ones that help with all over muscle strength??

You'll need good shoulder strength. Overhead press, dumbbell lateral raise, bent over rows, might want to throw in some wrist curls for forearms...:newwink:

And work your rotator cuff muscles...otherwise you'll end up like Halla and have a bunch of tears...And put some doctor's 12 children through college. :newwink:

wolfy

awsm
You'll need good shoulder strength. Overhead press, dumbbell lateral raise, bent over rows, might want to throw in some wrist curls for forearms...:newwink:

And work your rotator cuff muscles...otherwise you'll end up like Halla and have a bunch of tears...And put some doctor's 12 children through college. :newwink:

Yeah, those are great. Incline presses will help too. Pulldowns and chins, Shoulders, lats and serratus anterior work will really help your punching power. And torso work too.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:D <jots notes down> I see I see.. :glasses: Yes any details would help out since Im bad with names even though I might know the exercise itself.