• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Had to close up the apartment windows and turn on the heaters. My sinuses are now kicking my ass. I'm waking up stuffy and lethargic every morning.

Have you replaced the air filter recently?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My knee is hurting and I didn't even work out this weekend. Strange. I also appear to have a miserable cold. I'm still doing my workout since I took off last Friday. I don't want to lose my momentum.

On a good note, I took another group of pics and I do have a noticeable difference - compared to the first day of the challenge. I've only lost about 5 pounds, but I know when I work out I build muscle so I don't drop weight like I do if I just diet.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
My knee is hurting and I didn't even work out this weekend. Strange. I also appear to have a miserable cold. I'm still doing my workout since I took off last Friday. I don't want to lose my momentum.

On a good note, I took another group of pics and I do have a noticeable difference - compared to the first day of the challenge. I've only lost about 5 pounds, but I know when I work out I build muscle so I don't drop weight like I do if I just diet.

If your knee is hurting now. You may have hurt it at least a couple of days before the weekend. Is it a deep pain? Or is it more like the muscles around you knee are just sore?

Suggestion. Give your knee a little more time to recover. Find something to do that places less stress on it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah, I watched it, it's not like a joint pain. Sometimes my joints can get out of whack and click, it wasn't doing that.

I finished for the day.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Elaur, 5 pounds in 5 weeks is respectable. The fact that you can see the difference is huge as well.

I agree with Biaxident. That's why we don't use cheats for injuries, in fact. Proper recovery is that important.

Remember, we are aiming for long term change here. Part of long term change is sometimes sacrificing the short term so your body can properly recover. You have all of us here to give you a violent friendly push to help you regain momentum if you lose it while recovering. :D

EDIT: Hah, too late - you already worked out! Well, if it's still hurting tomorrow it's always an option.

On that note, I skipped the gym this morning. I hurt my calf yesterday (sharp pain, not sore pain), and it was still hurting this morning. I'll try to start back up tomorrow.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Elaur, 5 pounds in 5 weeks is respectable. The fact that you can see the difference is huge as well.

I agree with Biaxident. That's why we don't use cheats for injuries, in fact. Proper recovery is that important.

Remember, we are aiming for long term change here. Part of long term change is sometimes sacrificing the short term so your body can properly recover. You have all of us here to give you a violent friendly push to help you regain momentum if you lose it while recovering. :D

On that note, I skipped the gym this morning. I hurt my calf yesterday (sharp pain, not sore pain), and it was still hurting this morning. I'll try to start back up tomorrow.

Ask Halla about working through the pain. The man has put several surgeon's children through college. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I completed my week again. Curiously, still no additional weight loss since the 8 pounds I lost the first week...four weeks holding steady on weight. I hope it's because I'm building muscle instead of that my workout is not rigorous enough.

On the bright side, my workout is progressing. The first week I started with 30 minutes on the treadmill, 10 pushups, and 20 crunches. I'm up to 35 minutes on the treadmill with incline added, 30 pushups, and 40 crunches. In the coming weeks I'm going to look into mixing up the workout with some lunges, squats and other stuff. Six weeks seems to be about the time to mix it up.

For the experienced people, a question...I have some 5 lb dumbbells an old roommate left. Would they serve any purpose for a large framed man, or are they too light to make any difference? I was thinking at high numbers of reps maybe they could tone, but I don't know. I'm not interested in bulging muscles, just building strength.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bad weekend for eating (I invited everyone to a birthday feast on Sat and ate greasy while lost on the road back from the beach on Sun), but I did manage my cardio on Sun. So yay, I'm back to 4x a week.

Sleep deprivation totally caught up with me this weekend though. Going to try doing daytime cardio? Plus the weather's getting a little cold at night, even bundled up and sweating.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Late again! I'm bad at this :D

9/28
Breakfast was yogurt, berries, pears and granola. Lunch was an egg salad sandwich with tomatoes and lettuce, with some Sun Chips. Had a little granola later. Walked, but nothing much.
Eating: good
Exercise: no

9/29
For breakfast I had yogurt, berries, and granola again. Had a handful of dry roasted soybeans for a snack. Dinner was the same as yesterday. Vanilla pudding for desert. Walked around for like a half hour.
Eating: good

9/30
Had a granola bar for breakfast and a turkey, cream cheese, and lettuce sammich for lunch. Soybeans for a snack, and saltines later.
Eating: moar veggies plz
Exercise: not really

10/1
Had the usual yogurt parfait for breakfast, saltines and a granola bar. Dry roasted soybeans later. Dinner was a rather flavorless (and fairly healthy) mushu vegetable plate, followed by (much less healthy) cherry ice cream. Did at least an hour of walking around.
Eating: ok
Exercise: yes

10/2
The usual for breakfast, leftover vegetables and rice for lunch. Dinner was a lite beer (lol). Had two totally vile-but-delicious bacon-y cheesey potato skins in the early morning. Did a little walking and about 15 minutes of yoga/crunches/push ups.
Eating: Um. ok.
Exercise: not enough

10/3
Had the other two potato skins for breakfast and some cereal, and orange juice. For lunch I stole a couple bites of my friend's Panda Express and had a cone of sugar free frozen yogurt. Dinner was a 6" from subway (lettuce, tomato, spinach, cucumber, dressing and cheese). Went for a 30 minute jog, did 15 minutes of yoga/crunches etc. Also did a lot of walking around. Snacked on some dry roasted soybeans.
Eating: pretty good
Exercise: yes

10/4
Ate a chicken ceasar salad and a bagel for lunch. Went to a friend's house for dinner, had meatloaf, weird cheesy vegetables, potatoes. Snacked on some very tiny cupcakes, three fun-sized candy thangs, and soybeans.
Eating: ok

TOTAL:
Exercise: 2/3
Eating: acceptable but inconsistent.

Remaining cheat days: 7

As long as the weather remains tolerable I'll keep going out for jogs. I'm also doing a lot more walking around and I take the stairs (4 flights) a couple times a day, so although workouts have been sparse I've been fairly active.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just got back from Muay Thai. My gym clothes look like I went swimming in them. Feel good though.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Reporting for last week - still am sick and added sick tummy to my other ailments. Everyone at school has been down! I had three workouts, but missed the other one.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I completed my week again. Curiously, still no additional weight loss since the 8 pounds I lost the first week...four weeks holding steady on weight. I hope it's because I'm building muscle instead of that my workout is not rigorous enough.

On the bright side, my workout is progressing. The first week I started with 30 minutes on the treadmill, 10 pushups, and 20 crunches. I'm up to 35 minutes on the treadmill with incline added, 30 pushups, and 40 crunches. In the coming weeks I'm going to look into mixing up the workout with some lunges, squats and other stuff. Six weeks seems to be about the time to mix it up.

Your increases are telling me you are definitely getting healthier, so congratulations! I'm finding your discipline to be very admirable - I've been trying to match it, to be honest. And mixing up your routine somewhere between weeks 4-8 is highly recommended. I'll be doing the same after Week 8.

If fat loss (with some muscle gains) is your goal, perhaps we can try and develop a routine that is a bit more optimized for those goals. Lunges and squats are a great start.

For the experienced people, a question...I have some 5 lb dumbbells an old roommate left. Would they serve any purpose for a large framed man, or are they too light to make any difference? I was thinking at high numbers of reps maybe they could tone, but I don't know. I'm not interested in bulging muscles, just building strength.

Someone like Biax or Wolfy might be able to verify, but if you start feeling it around rep 12-20, then you can probably get some good out of them. If you can do 20 easily, then there are probably better options available to you. Although those will be great for adding a bit of weight for lunges and whatnot.

10/1
TOTAL:
Exercise: 2/3
Eating: acceptable but inconsistent.

Remaining cheat days: 7

As long as the weather remains tolerable I'll keep going out for jogs. I'm also doing a lot more walking around and I take the stairs (4 flights) a couple times a day, so although workouts have been sparse I've been fairly active.

I like the way that, for the most part, you exercised on the days that you cheated the most on. If those cheats came after the exercise, even better.

Also, I have you down for having used 2 cheats. One this week, and one during week 2. I gave you the benefit of the doubt last week on account of sickness.

Reporting for last week - still am sick and added sick tummy to my other ailments. Everyone at school has been down! I had three workouts, but missed the other one.

No cheats required if you've been sick. The stress from exercise can actually prolong recovering from sickness.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I busted into weight training class and did a 1 mile run. They didn't know what hit them. I clocked in at 9:35.. Not awesome at all, but it's about 30 seconds over what I should run my first mile of my 2 mile run in, so I'm proud of it. Then I went back for my workout partner and ran with her to the finish line.

Some leg presses, squats, outter and inner thigh work and calf raises completed the workout today. My partner asks the coach "Why didn't you come get me?!" and he goes "I was about to but I just saw a flash and some leaves blow by and she was off to get you already!" :laugh:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I like the way that, for the most part, you exercised on the days that you cheated the most on. If those cheats came after the exercise, even better.

Also, I have you down for having used 2 cheats. One this week, and one during week 2. I gave you the benefit of the doubt last week on account of sickness.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the power of food guilt :D

Oh, yeah, I guess I kind of forgot to take into account that I was sick for most of that week. Thanks, I feel like that's an honest enough assessment.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Your increases are telling me you are definitely getting healthier, so congratulations! I'm finding your discipline to be very admirable - I've been trying to match it, to be honest. And mixing up your routine somewhere between weeks 4-8 is highly recommended. I'll be doing the same after Week 8.

If fat loss (with some muscle gains) is your goal, perhaps we can try and develop a routine that is a bit more optimized for those goals. Lunges and squats are a great start.

Someone like Biax or Wolfy might be able to verify, but if you start feeling it around rep 12-20, then you can probably get some good out of them. If you can do 20 easily, then there are probably better options available to you. Although those will be great for adding a bit of weight for lunges and whatnot.

No cheats required if you've been sick. The stress from exercise can actually prolong recovering from sickness.

Slow, strict, squeeze the muscle as you curl. Do a 4 count, 4 seconds up, 4 seconds down. Squeezing the entire time. If after 12 reps you feel nothing, let me suggest gallon milk jugs filled with concrete. Or perhaps investing in a cheap pair of dumbbells. Until you get into the 50 pound range they are pretty reasonable.