• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where do you run? I live on a long street and it gets boring (I used to walk it)

Hopefully you will get other helpful answers, but I usually go to a nearby lake or forest trail when I'm outdoors.

Otherwise it's the apartment gym or the local Gold's gym.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Super late! Here's last week's report.

9/14
Breakfast/Lunch was a delicious bowl of Vietnamese bbq beef with salad and noodles. Dinner was a bagel, dry roasted soybeans, and pineapple. Did 20 minutes of yoga in the morning but was interrupted, also walked around a bit, but didn't get a good workout in.
Eating: yes
Exercise: some

9/15
Breakfast was a bowl of cheerios, lunch was a tasty hummus and veggie combo and a snapple (rare sugary drink) from a middle eastern deli. For dinner I made chicken, pineapple and onion kabobs. Walked around a lot, but no workout.
Exercise: no

9/16
Had a bagel and ham sammich with some dry roasted soybeans for breakfast. For dinner I made a potato cake thing (shredded red potatoes, eggs, cooked in olive oil) and had some salad with vinagrette. Bowl of ice cream for dessert.
Exercise: no

9/17
Bagel and ham for breakfast, potato and beef casserole for dinner, ice cream for dessert. Did a half hour of yoga and a half hour of jogging/hiking (depending on the terrain).
Eating: ok
Exercise: yes

9/18
Ham sandwich for breakfast, salad and crackers for lunch, went out to eat for dinner (mole enchiladas, beans, rice, and dessert). 40 minutes of tough yoga, 10 of weights, 10 cardio.

9/19
Cereal for breakfast, crackers and a sandwich for lunch. Had an icee and a quesadilla for dinner. Ugh! But I was running around all day doing errands. Also did some serious box-carrying up and down stairs.
Eating: terrible

9/20
Breafkast was a Redline and a really terrible croissant sandwich from Jack in the Box. Had a few bites of soup for lunch, hamburger (delicious organic meat) and potato salad for dinner. Was on the road all day, so the only exercise I got was in the morning loading boxes.
Exercise: only a little

TOTAL:
Eating: Not great
Exercise: 3/3

So I've been essentially doing this routine all summer, and I'm starting to see results. I'm definitely gaining muscle, strength, and endurance. Unfortunately I'm not losing any weight. In fact at the moment some of my clothing fits worse (particularly my arms and upper body). I'm kind of annoyed, but I've known for a while that what I really need is a lot more cardio. Anyone know any good cardio activities other than jogging and swimming?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I walked to my car.

But den I went to Dunkin' Donuts...I mean..NO I DIDN'T!

No..I actually didn't so it's all good.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I live a few minutes away from a river with a park & jog path all along it. In the winter I'm on the treadmill. Pretty soon I'll be back to the gym. It's pretty cold here in Ottawa past October.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Super late! Here's last week's report.

So I've been essentially doing this routine all summer, and I'm starting to see results. I'm definitely gaining muscle, strength, and endurance. Unfortunately I'm not losing any weight. In fact at the moment some of my clothing fits worse (particularly my arms and upper body). I'm kind of annoyed, but I've known for a while that what I really need is a lot more cardio. Anyone know any good cardio activities other than jogging and swimming?

First, congratulations on seeing results. The fact that your arms and upper body aren't fitting as well tells me you are likely gaining muscle mass in that area. Since you are also not losing any weight, it's very likely you are losing small amounts of fat and replacing it with muscle.

I'm sure we can figure out ways to optimize fat loss, if that's what you want.

As for cardio - pretty much anything that gets your heart rate up for 20+ minutes is good cardio. Jumping jacks, aerobics (you can buy or rent a video, or DVR it when it's on TV), elliptical machines, rowing machines, and many other things! Dancing classes, martial arts, picking up a sport. I could go on. :)

Also, veggies + hummus is one of my favorite snacks. I bag several days worth of veggies, take the hummus to work, and there I go - quick, healthy snacks with protein, carbs, and fat. I approve. The hummus makes the veggies much more flavorful and palatable for me.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I went on a walk today (probably about a mile), since it was a nice 65 degree day. That is pretty much all I did physically. I've been so very tired. Food has not been my friend today. I ate a lot, but I tried to incorporate lots of fiber, except for the bowl of ice cream I ate. mmmm

I took a Body Fat Composition test in PE on Monday, and I was at 33% body fat. I shrieked when he told me that. I actually thought it would be more than that, but it's still pretty bad. I should probably lay off the ice cream.

Tomorrow I plan on spending a couple hours at the gym.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I totally had chocolate attack today and ate a candy bar and six oreos XD

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Elaur -- a park/trail close by, or if you have a downtown area accessible. I like mixing things up to keep it interesting. When I was a grad student, I loved the outside track because it felt great and is better for the knees than running on asphalt.

Tuesday Report: 40 minutes cardio on elliptical
Very much on track with eating
3 back and bicep machines, 20 reps*2 sets each.

:cheese:

Wednesday Report:
Will report here tomorrow and then walk Thursday through Sunday while traveling.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm just finishing up for the day. I did a lighter workout but still went full time. I'm so glad I didn't allow myself to get down yesterday for missing. And thanks Udog for the encouragement not to work out, it would have been too much for my body. I think I might be getting sick or fighting something :/ I felt sick to my stomach this morning.

I really think I want to start running but it always bothered my knees when I was younger. Of course, I didn't realize that anytime my knees get cold I get joint pain. (2 of my kids are the same way, scary enough)

Running shoes suggestions?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
guess this is still going on even though i flaked out for a while. back from vacation and cracking down! i decided to try the slim fast method and so far it's working great. had a shake for breakfast and just had a bar with a non fat pumpkin spice latte. for lunch it's tuna with wasa crackers and water. yesterday afternoon i added crystal light to the water but the sugar substitute in it made me hungrier so today it's just plain water. if i "must" have one soda it's gonna have to be regular because i don't want to increase my appetite with any sugar substitutes.

like wolfy, i worked on upper body yesterday too. my lower body is pretty good but i also need to work on core which i did along side upper body yesterday.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Running shoes suggestions?

If, like me, you don't want to go to a running store and get them to watch you run on a treadmill, figure out your arch and recommend a shoe, then use this website
Men's & Women's Running Shoes from Nike, Adidas, New Balance, ASICS, Brooks & Saucony | Road Runner Sports.

They have an arch test:
Click on the Shoe Dog and they'll give you a list of criteria that will help you narrow down. They have shoes on sale in nearly every category and of most brands.

Also helpful was the Road Runner magazine:
Running Shoe Basics: RunnersWorld.com

They have a shoe buying guide and review shoes on a regular basis.

Hope you feel better. Have fun running!

P.S. I favor Nike -- I've worn out several pairs of Nike Frees because they are so light and comfortable (not so great for road running because they don't absorb impact as much) and now a Nike trail shoe (mostly because it was blue and gray :cheese:). I have a high arch so I buy neutral shoes.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
wasa crackers are great to munch on with this for lunch! i have two with my meals at lunch and a sugar free chocolate pudding for dessert.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
For Shoe Suggestions - I never spend a lot of money on running shoes. All the fancy extra technology is unnecessary and although they seem awesome, it's nothing an 8 dollar shoe insert can't re-create, and if you run a lot you're suppose to change out your shoes every year (and I hear sooner than that.. I never do >.> I'm cheap and lazy and hate to shoe shop.)

After like 5 years of the same shoe (they now will be bowling shoes since they have zero traction left.) and being forced to buy another pair from them falling into two pieces, I bought a pair of $50 saucony running shoes on clearance at Famous Footwear. I've worn new balance, nike's, asics.. and they all seem about the same. The brands are generally decent quality, last longer than the recommended shoe replacement timeframe, and get comfy generally quick. I find with Nike's the break-in time is pretty short, which I like, this is my first pair of Saucony's.

>.> .. Sorry if that was long.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
^ nike's never lasted long at all for me. for aerobics i like new balance. i've also heard brooks are good. i just bought these but think i'll exchange them for these since i'll get more use out of them AND i love the sketchers version so much, i'd like to try the original. i justify the expense as i'm not the shoe horse i used to be so i would either wear these or my dansko's unless i had a special event i was attending.

i definitely recommend GOOD FOOTWEAR as i purchased a pair of crappy trainers once and i blame them for the foot/leg injury i had a few years ago.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Every pair of Nike's I've ever had has lasted a long time. I've owned 5 pairs throughout my life, each of which has lasted 3-5 years. Being 22, I've spent most of my life in them :laugh: and I haven't had too many problems at all. I suppose it all depends on life style and what ends up working well for you.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
yeah i guess it depends on a lot of things. I was taking 1-2 aerobics classes once a day, 5 days a week and even the new balance's were wearing out by three months. i'm, also a lot older than you so i need more help. :alttongue:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am steadily feeling more and more awesome the more I work out. :D

I just feel so much... stronger... and bigger. It's great.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ This is a great thing!! I often find if I fall away from exercising it feels daunting.. once I've been doing it a while, it's almost like I'm reluctantly looking forward to it :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah it's gotten to where it's not even a chore, and I look forward to my workout. :D

I've started doing more reps, so my workout went from being an hour to an hour and a half.