• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

wolfy

awsm
I did a lot of pull ups and push ups. And did some circuit type stuff in the gym aerobics studio after work. I had fun.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
2nd week done.

3rd week I'm going to be paying more attention to sleep and food.

Excellent. There are alot of tricks out there, including going to bed at a certain time and simply resting in utter silence until you sleep (thanks Jenocyde for that suggestion!), waking up at the same time every day for a month, or just going to bed when you are sleepy.

The last one never works for me because getting on the internet makes me lose my ability to tell how sleepy I really am.

I did a lot of pull ups and push ups. And did some circuit type stuff in the gym aerobics studio after work. I had fun.

You know, for as much kicking and screaming that I do when I go to the gym, I usually enjoy myself when I get there. Lifting is challenging and requires focus. It's neat to compare the numbers to last week's. And cardio allows me to listen to my music. The walks in the woods are wonderful for a bit of thinking.

wolfy

awsm
You know, for as much kicking and screaming that I do when I go to the gym, I usually enjoy myself when I get there. Lifting is challenging and requires focus. It's neat to compare the numbers to last week's. And cardio allows me to listen to my music. The walks in the woods are wonderful for a bit of thinking.

Half of it is showing up. First rule, show up.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Excellent. There are alot of tricks out there, including going to bed at a certain time and simply resting in utter silence until you sleep (thanks Jenocyde for that suggestion!), waking up at the same time every day for a month, or just going to bed when you are sleepy.

The last one never works for me because getting on the internet makes me lose my ability to tell how sleepy I really am.

I'm the same way with the internet. However I now have a secret weapon. Being back in school, I have accounting textbooks to help me sleep. :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh wow, that's powerful stuff. Be careful how much of that you use - you'll wake up groggy in the morning.

On the plus side, they will help you with accounting sheep! (Okay, time for me to lay off the puns for awhile. )

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Good job. Pilates are pretty effective - you should start noticing a difference from those.

Grayscale offered good advice. It's actually pretty expensive to get accurate body fat measurements. A scale with a body fat % analyzer is the easiest solution, but it's only really good for measuring increase/decrease - they are quite inaccurate.

You can also go with something like this: Amazon.com: FatTrack PRO Digital Body Fat Management System with FREE Composition Tracker Body Fat Tracking Software: Health & Personal Care

Although you'll have to learn how to properly use it to do any good, and it's kind of tricky.

I don't know. I don't have a whole lot of money at the moment, but...

I keep hearing these girls talk and talk at gym and apparently 120 is 'normal' for my height but looking in the mirror I think losing 50 lbs would be a bit much for my figure.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know. I don't have a whole lot of money at the moment, but...

I keep hearing these girls talk and talk at gym and apparently 120 is 'normal' for my height but looking in the mirror I think losing 50 lbs would be a bit much for my figure.

Aren't young girls notorious for pushing impossible standards on themselves? You very well may be right that 50 pounds is too much!

I would trust this more than girls talking a gym, but even this isn't 100%: Guide to Determining Your Ideal Weight - Rush University Medical Center, Chicago

Does that fall in line with what they are saying? If you are comfortable sharing it, how tall are you?

Anyway, right now I wouldn't worry about the end game. You've just started exercising really, and it's not reasonable for you to fully know that yet. That knowledge will come as you get to know more about your body. For now, how does focusing on a goal such as 'lose 10-15 pounds' sound?

wolfy

awsm
It's interesting to note that guys like girls a little bigger than girls actually think they do. And girls like guys a little less muscular than guys think they do.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Aren't young girls notorious for pushing impossible standards on themselves? You very well may be right that 50 pounds is too much!

I would trust this more than girls talking a gym, but even this isn't 100%: Guide to Determining Your Ideal Weight - Rush University Medical Center, Chicago

Does that fall in line with what they are saying? If you are comfortable sharing it, how tall are you?

Anyway, right now I wouldn't worry about the end game. You've just started exercising really, and it's not reasonable for you to fully know that yet. That knowledge will come as you get to know more about your body. For now, how does focusing on a goal such as 'lose 10-15 pounds' sound?

Yes, it does, actually. I'm about 5'4" -- 108 - 132 lbs. 120 is about in the middle of that, isn't it?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, it does, actually. I'm about 5'4" -- 108 - 132 lbs. 120 is about in the middle of that, isn't it?

Yes, but it doesn't mean its the best. 132 is valid. If you end up building muscle as your goal states, it's very possible you'll be above 132 and still be very healthy.

How about keeping it simple. You already have a crazy gym teacher that pushing you way too hard - you don't need to do it to yourself. :) 10-15 pounds to start, and you can figure out where to go from there. By then you'll have amassed more knowledge.

wolfy

awsm
Listen to what Udog says. It's important to keep your goal manageable. You need to believe you can do it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Plus it's very possible that 120 will be unhealthy for her. Right now, we have no way of knowing that.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

Some of it will depend on bone structure, though. If you have a larger (or even denser) frame, 120 will be too thin at 5'4". If you have a really petite frame, 120 may still be a bit much. I'd aim for the higher end of the target unless you're just really tiny.

I'm 5' 3", but I'm very small-framed. Even five pounds really shows up on me. Everyone's different.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I missed hearing about your guys' workouts so much while I was internet-less in Trier! Glad to see you joining us, Grayscale.

Kyueii, I feel your pain about the mile. I have been too scared to check if I have gotten any faster at all after attempts at jogging for 6 months.*

I got to a scale today and found out I've gained 5 and a half pounds on vacation so far, and I'm still not leaving 'til Tuesday! Damn you German hospitality and all the cake and the cream.

Wed: Amsterdam walking tour (Van Gogh museum!), no exercise routine. Changing locations all the time gives me an excuse to be lazy and not work out a new workout time and route for each new place. Food = bad.

Thurs: Location change to Trier! Some more touristy walking, but the cold made me so lazy, and couldn't sleep well due to staying with lots of high school students at this ex-dorm sort of thing. Food = no comment, though I did turn down the opportunity to have deep fried anything at a Belgium fast food place.

Fri: Trier self-walking tour! No exercise. Slightly better eating, if you ignore the ice cream sundae. Why are there six ice cream places on every block in Germany?

Sat: Driving along the Mosel river, looking at vineyards, arrive back at Springe. How is it that sitting in a car for 7 hours still doesn't make one less hungry at meal times? Still time to salvage the day, though eating hasn't been too bad, other than the two cups of coffee.

My only health consolation is that I have no boozed it up at all on vacation other than a glass of champagne. :doh: Alcohol has lots of non-nutritious calories, right?

*When I get back home, I hope to take a before snapshot of my exercise goals. Timed mile, number of situps, other things- got to be brave enough to see how I am before I can improve!

I also have a tentative workout schedule for myself once school starts (the 21st). Weekdays I will have a 50 minute dance class two days a week, I'll try to get away for hiking weekday (probably Friday), and night jogging the remaining two days. For weekends, I'll have one jog day and then one new random exercise day where I will try out various things- swimming, ice skating, roller blading, and maybe try and convince my friends to play tennis with me or something.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I did not make it to the gym today because it opens at 12:30 pm and closes at 7:00 p.m. Alas, I was unable to make it. But on a positive note, I cleaned the house from 12:00-7:00 (just stopped ugh) doing all kinds of shit like cleaning windows, vacuuming, sweeping floors, scrubbing the tub, cleaning the furniture, organizing shit, doing laundry. No breaks except to drink some water now and again and go to the ladies'. So that's work, lemme tell ya.

Tomorrow the gym opens at 10 a.m. So I'm going to the gym first thing tomorrow before I hit the next round of cleaning tomorrow, which will probably take me just as long.

That's gotta count for something.

Calorie intake so far: 1000

but I'm kind of scared because he told me we were going out to eat today, which will probably make that 2000. :blush:

G

Glycerine

Haphazard, it really has a lot to to with your frame/body type. If you take two 5' 4 tall individuals, one might look absolutely perfect at 108 lbs but for the other individual they might look emaciated (ribs sticking out). Also, 132+ lbs may make one individual look fairly overweight but another person could really fit and slim. It is not a good idea to look at general weight of a particular height as a rule of thumb but just as a guideline.

For me, if I looked at the height/weight charts, I would probably considered "underweight" but my current weight is what is proportional to my body frame/ body type. Also, maybe you can just aim for a weight that makes you the most optimal with your body (not just a number) but at a realistic goal? That weight varies for each individual.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D I definitely would have preferred going to the gym, but I think I kicked some major butt anyway with seven hours of intensive cleaning! :woot:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazard, it really has a lot to to with your frame/body type. If you take two 5' 4 tall individuals, one might look absolutely perfect at 108 lbs but for the other individual they might look emaciated (ribs sticking out). Also, 132+ lbs may make one individual look fairly overweight but another person could really fit and slim. It is not a good idea to look at general weight of a particular height as a rule of thumb but just as a guideline.

For me, if I looked at the height/weight charts, I would probably considered "underweight" but my current weight is what is proportional to my body frame/ body type. Also, maybe just aim for a weight that makes you the most optimal with your body but at a realistic goal? That weight varies for each individual.

I don't understand the charts. I'm definitely more one of these

plussizegaultier.jpg

than one of these

for-straight-body-type-2-.jpg

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Welcome to the thread! Good luck making your goals.

540A, though? That's early! If you figure out something to motivate yourself to wake up that early, please share it! I'd love to do a morning gym routine, as it's the only time of the day I can guarantee to have to myself. It would require a 445 wakeup time though, and I can't swing that right now.

it is called an alarm clock! :yim_rolling_on_the_

lol... seriously though, focus on the advantages:

- you get your training done first thing in the day and therefore it always gets done, cant get missed because of something that came up after work

- once you get used to waking up that early and hitting the gym, eventually you just naturally begin to feel more energetic at that time of day, leads to better productivity at work too.

- less people at the gym, your time is better utilized because you never waste time standing around waiting to use equipment

it is saturday, about... 11 minutes 1 hour till noon. i slept in today... damnit :doh: but come monday, watch out! off to the gym now.

:headphne: <anyone else do this on the treadmill?