• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You are not so unfit as you say. I'm at least 150 lbs overweight and cannot even lift my feet from the ground, and have spittle that congeals to a solid mass in my lungs with the very slightest of exertion. YOU may have been designed to run, but I am not. I am more designed for handstands than I am running, and I can't even do handstands because I'm too fat. And yes, I've tried running several thousand times, it's excruciatingly painful and is causing me incredible pain just remembering it. They say trying to do something over and over again, expecting different results, is a sign of insanity. Or science. The line between the two isn't very clear.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure what you're getting from posting in this thread, honestly. You won't let anyone encourage you. You can't find anything you want to do, because it causes you pain, but you don't seem to want to get to the bottom of what's causing it. You seem very depressed, and believe me, I can relate to that. But you seem to be really comfortable in wallowing mode. Are you wanting to get better? Lots of people have tried to help, but you seem pretty intent on suffering, so you can tell people about your suffering.

Any small step is better than nothing. Walking is better than sitting still. You don't have to run. You don't have to do yoga. Walk slowly around the block. Sit in a chair and move your arms and legs. Anything is better than nothing. If you are suffering from chronic pain, you need to get to the bottom of that before you do anything else. That has to be your priority. There are resources if you don't have money. They will take some effort on your part to find. But doing something about it robs you of your right to complain. And when you are used to that, it's a hard thing to let go of. But you need to let go of it. Let go of your need to have an answer for everything, a reason why you can't do anything. You are not powerless. There are some members on this board that live with pain every day, but they do what they can, when they can. They are not wealthy, but they use the resources they have, and put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes that's all we can do, but it gives us hope and a little bit of personal power.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm at least 150 lbs overweight and cannot even lift my feet from the ground, and have spittle that congeals to a solid mass in my lungs with the very slightest of exertion.
Haven't you said you weigh like.. 152? I mean.. I'm sure someone could totally cut out an organ of yours, discard the rest of you as dead weight, and paint a face on said organ for maximum efficiency, buuut a part of me doesn't think that's the best of plans. Plus the pain might be absolutely unbearable. I also believe you still wouldn't be satisfied in that case. The organ would need an unhappy face.

There are a lot of nice members that you should be trying to listen to. Course, this is in the event that you're not a troll, though it is more and more plausible with each passing post.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wednesday: Applied Modern Health Walk, Int Folk Dance, & Zumba

My time for the walk was better today :). It wasn't by too much, but I didn't have to push myself so insanely and didn't feel like I was going to keel over after. I'd say it's partly due to the colder weather and general walking around more lately :yes:.

I need to reel in my food choices a tad again. I've been keeping an eye on the caloric intake and making sure that's well and good, but I've loosened up on what I'm eating at certain times. I don't believe in being insanely strict, but I do believe in reinforcing the better habits.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
haphazard, I'm going to say this one last time and hope you pay attention instead of nitpicking the rest of my post: clean up your attitude, it stinks. What good is wallowing in your own self pity going to do for you? That's not a rhetorical question - you should have a long, hard think about it. For years I've struggled with my weight, and it was only recently when I realised that I had to find something that would work instead of feeling sorry for myself about the stuff that didn't.

You should also realise your position is not unique. There are plenty of people in the world your weight or heavier who have gone on to lose all those extra lbs despite early set backs. The only difference between them and you is attitude. They found what worked and did that. You just need to try different stuff until you find what works. I saw a video online the other day of a guy called ben who lost over 120lbs in something like 18 months. I'll look for the link later and post it on here. I think you should watch it.

EDIT: Damn youtube tags aren't working.. Click HERE instead to see the video.

p.s. If there was ever anyone not designed for running it's me. I'm 5'2 with stumpy legs and bad knees (the clicky knees run in the family on BOTH sides :( ). So you saying things like:

You are not so unfit as you say......YOU may have been designed to run, but I am not.

not only is knocking yourself down, but is diminishing MY accomplishment. Which I will not tolerate. I do not find running easy, but I do find it enjoyable. There's a difference.

We are not so different, you and me. I believe, from a quick glance at your blog, that we are about the same age (19), have similar interests like music (you play viola - an instrument I've always LOVED - and I play flute&piano), and crafty things (you knit awesome things, and I like to sew bags). I wish you'd listen to advice from people trying to help you, and realise YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Everyone has their own problems you know, you just need to learn how to deal with yours. Good luck :)

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Yoga day! And today I am forcing my cousin to do it with me! I am getting the hang of the warrior now.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Losing weight won't make you happy. I've lost a ton of weight and I still think I'm a fatass. Being a fatass is a state of mind, if you cannot be happy with yourself while fat, you will not be happy with yourself while skinny. Many skinny people feel this way, too. Don't blame me for spreading my depression. They've done research on this.

I do like that organ idea, though. Unkind, would you like to do the honors?

I'm feeling kind of achey and feverish this morning, but I've still got to get off my fat ass and go to work.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Losing weight won't make you happy. I've lost a ton of weight and I still think I'm a fatass. Being a fatass is a state of mind, if you cannot be happy with yourself while fat, you will not be happy with yourself while skinny. Many skinny people feel this way, too. Don't blame me for spreading my depression. They've done research on this.

@ bolded: Take responsibility for your actions, Hap. No one is forcing you to post in this thread. Sharing your sloppy use of science to justify your mindset is not adding anything.

You cross a line when you try to bring other people down. I will not tolerate your attempts to discredit the efforts of other members nor will I tolerate your attempts at encouraging their failures. I created this thread to be a safe haven for support and encouragement. I don't know if you've crossed any uncrossable lines according to forum policy, but if you don't stop, I *will* speak to the mods about whether or not banning you from this thread is a viable option.

So, please, stop. Just stop. This thread isn't for your venting. There are other places, such as your blog, where you are more than welcomed to do that.

G

Glycerine

If you want others to help, you need to first help yourself. What do you truly want to get out of this? From a outsider's POV, you seem to be engaging in the victim mentality and don't know how to get out of it. It's like you are so used to it that you don't know anything different. I was a lot like that and still am to an extent...

I have a permanent physical disability and you have weight problems. Both of these things are not the end of the world, right?

Even though I think Hap needs a lot of tough love, I feel like some of you are being a bit harsh.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Ok Haph, I'm gonna PM you in a while after I've had a chance to collect my thoughts, because there's a lot of things I want to discuss with you but I don't wish to drag this thread any further off topic. There are two things I will say on-thread though, and this will be the last of it .

1:

If you said this to me in person, I would have punched you in the face before you had time to blink. I don't think I could have exercised any self restraint in time (and I am not my nature a violent person, though I am quite impatient at times). My goal is not specifically to lose weight, it is to get healthier by doing A, B and C. Losing the extra lbs will be a product of that goal, but it is not the goal itself. Insinuating that I will never be happy is an unbelievable insult, and I want you to know that your words have this effect. If you ever dare to make such an insolent comment again, I swear I will be so angry you won't know where to look. An INTP enraged is not a sight you want to see. I have no wish to be annoyed or angry with you, but you need to stop making ill-thought-out comments first.

2:

You say you've already lost a lot of weight? Then give yourself credit for that. Seriously, you should be proud of your achievements. For the love of god, stop focusing on your negative thoughts and look for reasons to smile instead.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you said this to me in person, I would have punched you in the face before you had time to blink. I don't think I could have exercised any self restraint in time (and I am not my nature a violent person, though I am quite impatient at times).

Comments like these add nothing to the discussion, and are likely against forum policy. (Threats of physical violence.) Her comments were wrong, but this reaction isn't really any better.

For what it's worth, you seem to be on the right track to me. She's right in that losing weight alone won't make you happy, but she's was wrong in that taking active steps to improve your health and body are both empowering and have been shown to increase energy levels and wellness.

As far as I can tell, you are on the right track, and I sincerely hope you continue to share your progress with us. :)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm sorry. What she said touched a nerve and my response was a knee jerk reaction to that. I should have waited and written a less emotionally charged post.

Thanks for all the encouragement by the way, i do really appreciate it :)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Today's a 'rest day' on the C25k, but I want to do some other form of exercise on these off days. At the weekend I'll have time to look up stuff, but for today I just walked to my piano lesson (which is a 50min brisk walk from my house). Can't wait for my run tomorrow :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Today's a 'rest day' on the C25k, but I want to do some other form of exercise on these off days. At the weekend I'll have time to look up stuff, but for today I just walked to my piano lesson (which is a 50min brisk walk from my house). Can't wait for my run tomorrow :D

Just be sure to respect the rest days. Rest days allow your body to heal from the damage you did to it during your workouts, and are as every bit as important as the exercising itself. Otherwise, you risk over training and injury.

However, there is a concept of "active rest", where you keep your body moving while you still avoid exerting it. I find that light walking, hiking, (recreational) swimming, cleaning, etc make for great rest day activities.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, so long as it's not high impact like running I should be ok... I'll probably do strength training on some days, and different cardio (maybe cycling) on others. Saturdays will remain as my day off though :D

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Nice work everyone, you're all awesome! Keep it up! :D

I. FEEL. AMAZING! :D :D: D

Did Week 2 Day 3 of the Couch to 5k today, and it was awesome! I decided to up my speed today - I actually ran (albeit slowly) instead of shuffling along, and for the walking portions I kept up a brisk pace instead of falling into my normal easy stride. It was tough going, but I paid attention to my body during it and all I was feeling was discomfort at the exertion rather than tension or pain. I'm really happy about today's workout (in case you haven't already guessed :tongue:), but I'm going to pull back the pace again on Sunday, when I'll do Week 3 Day 1.

During the 5min cool-down walk, I saw a runner on the other side of the road. He was going at a pretty fast pace (to me), but it just looked like a very graceful, easy lope for him. The first thing that sprung into my mind was, "Wow, I can't wait til I'm able to do that!" Old me would have felt bad about my achievement today against this comparison; new me is feeling inspired and hopeful and really excited for what the future will bring. All I have to do is keep doing what I'm doing and I'll get there. I can't explain how big a deal this is for me - I feel now like I've reason to be doubly proud of myself today. So, good job, me *pat on back* :D

I don't mean to sound boastful or anything, I'm just flying high this evening. *celebratory dance*

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm down another belt buckle. That's 3 since July. Or is it 4? I lost count.... which I consider to be a high quality problem.

I can't lift because of my cough, but I've been walking anywhere from 2-5 miles almost every day.

Did Week 2 Day 3 of the Couch to 5k today, and it was awesome! I decided to up my speed today - I actually ran (albeit slowly) instead of shuffling along, and for the walking portions I kept up a brisk pace instead of falling into my normal easy stride. It was tough going, but I paid attention to my body during it and all I was feeling was discomfort at the exertion rather than tension or pain. I'm really happy about today's workout (in case you haven't already guessed :tongue:), but I'm going to pull back the pace again on Sunday, when I'll do Week 3 Day 1.

That was one of my favorite tricks for jogging as well. I found that if I focused on the energy my legs had LEFT, instead of the burning, I could go much farther and longer.

I don't mean to sound boastful or anything, I'm just flying high this evening. *celebratory dance*

No way. That's what this thread is for. *high fives*