• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Let's put it this way: if water were liquor, I'd be dead several hundred times over.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've determined that I hate the activity portion of my Applied Modern Health class.
The activity portion seems so completely disjointed from the lecture. We discuss target heart rate, exercise injuries, and personal wellness. Then there is no assessment of our fitness levels and we're expected to do better than average in the activities.

I don't like the prospect of pushing my heartrate over 180 so I can get a C in that aspect of the course. It's disheartening and it affects that little person wellness thing discussed in lecture. :dont:
Then I also don't want to be the fattie that complains they can't do it, because that's no fun either.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm the fattie that can't do anything.

I'm afraid that the government is going to come after me for this.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've determined that I hate the activity portion of my Applied Modern Health class.
The activity portion seems so completely disjointed from the lecture. We discuss target heart rate, exercise injuries, and personal wellness. Then there is no assessment of our fitness levels and we're expected to do better than average in the activities.

I don't like the prospect of pushing my heartrate over 180 so I can get a C in that aspect of the course. It's disheartening and it affects that little person wellness thing discussed in lecture. :dont:
Then I also don't want to be the fattie that complains they can't do it, because that's no fun either.

They are pushing you to the border of your MAXIMUM heart rate just to get a high grade? Is this as an "interval" exercise - say for 30 seconds or so - or do they expect you to sustain this?

Perhaps you should ask why the class isn't doing a physical assessment of everyone before determining their requirements for a grade. It should be a sliding scale, afterall.

Assessment is an important part of starting a major physical exercise. Both of current health levels AND desired health levels. I wouldn't even think about getting a trainer that didn't have a good assessment phase before creating a workout for me, and I can't believe a college class is skipping this.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
They are pushing you to the border of your MAXIMUM heart rate just to get a high grade? Is this as an "interval" exercise - say for 30 seconds or so - or do they expect you to sustain this?

Perhaps you should ask why the class isn't doing a physical assessment of everyone before determining their requirements for a grade. It should be a sliding scale, afterall.

Assessment is an important part of starting a major physical exercise. Both of current health levels AND desired health levels. I wouldn't even think about getting a trainer that didn't have a good assessment phase before creating a workout for me, and I can't believe a college class is skipping this.

My heart rate specifically jumps through the roof very quickly. Basically, to get a low B, we need to either walk 1.5 miles in 20min, run 1.5 miles in 10min, or jog 2 miles without a limit, but without walking.
While this isn't anything insane, I think it's still 'more than average' in a short timeframe. We only meet once a week and have four more weeks to get to that level (or better) before we move to some indoor activities.

Doesn't help that I rarely powerwalk or jog and have practically never run in my life :laugh:. If I was asked to Zumba for an hour I could tear that up! I'll just have to make time to practice around my neighborhood and maybe inform the professor that at least one student actually gives a damn about the class and health :yes:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
1.5 mi in 20 minutes isn't too difficult as long as you don't have a backpack or anything and it's not a gajillion degrees. Trust me on this one.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think about trying yoga again for a minute and my shoulder starts acting up.

Sigh.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My heart rate specifically jumps through the roof very quickly. Basically, to get a low B, we need to either walk 1.5 miles in 20min, run 1.5 miles in 10min, or jog 2 miles without a limit, but without walking.
While this isn't anything insane, I think it's still 'more than average' in a short timeframe. We only meet once a week and have four more weeks to get to that level (or better) before we move to some indoor activities.

Doesn't help that I rarely powerwalk or jog and have practically never run in my life :laugh:. If I was asked to Zumba for an hour I could tear that up! I'll just have to make time to practice around my neighborhood and maybe inform the professor that at least one student actually gives a damn about the class and health :yes:

Yeah. Jogging is pretty rough on the body, so increasing running distance and intensity too quickly is actually somewhat dangerous. It's what lead to my knee problems.

If he's reasonable, you may be able to work out an an agreement where effort and improvement are the factors of your grade. It sort of depends on if the class is adhering to a state or national standard, like an extension to the Physical Fitness Testing program I had to deal with back in high school.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah. Jogging is pretty rough on the body, so increasing running distance and intensity too quickly is actually somewhat dangerous. It's what lead to my knee problems.

If he's reasonable, you may be able to work out an an agreement where effort and improvement are the factors of your grade. It sort of depends on if the class is adhering to a state or national standard, like an extension to the Physical Fitness Testing program I had to deal with back in high school.

True. If I have excessive trouble after some practice and next week, I'll bring it up to him. We have a "Personal Assessment Book" which has the time guidelines, grades, and some time alterations based on age. He follows that, but I'm not sure how strictly.

A big part for me is that I don't like any aspect of being active or healthier to get me to the point of being upset while I am making a decent attempt. It's what I view as completely counterproductive, especially since I rarely am openly bothered. I was definitely getting upset yesterday and although I didn't quit walking I didn't feel good about it in the slightest.
I also don't like admitting defeat and saying "Hey, I'm that person here", but self-respect has to play its part too. @_@

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A big part for me is that I don't like any aspect of being active or healthier to get me to the point of being upset while I am making a decent attempt. It's what I view as completely counterproductive, especially since I rarely am openly bothered. I was definitely getting upset yesterday and although I didn't quit walking I didn't feel good about it in the slightest.

Situations like this are definitely not good for the long term. You can only put yourself in that type of situation for so long before it becomes too much.

You may want to talk to your professor sooner simply to get your voice heard, although waiting to request any change seems fair enough to me. Good luck!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Why does deep breathing make me so goddamn dizzy? I had the feeling it was supposed to have the opposite effect.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes.

Dizzy, on my back, deep breathing.

Next time, tell the instructor so they can give you tips on what you may be doing right or wrong. If it were me, I would go to them before the class and simply say what happened last time, and ask them if they have any pointers on how to fix it.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think that's pretty normal if you're not used to deep breathing. Unless we pay attention to our breaths, they're generally pretty shallow. I remember getting lightheaded when I first started breathing more deeply.

D

Dali

Thank you, and kudos to yourself as well.

If I may ask, what was YOUR motivation to start? What motivates you to keep up the good fight?

I wanted to look better in clothes (and out of them. hehe), I wanted to be fitter, I wanted the freedom to be able to wear a fitted shirt or t-shirt without being insecure about man-boobage and my belly, I wanted to be able to engage in Parkour, I wanted to dance without being embarrassed about 'wobbly bits wobbling', I wanted the stamina to be able to withstand a long-haul flight (with multiple connections) without being totally wiped out at the end...

I love seeing and feeling the changes that occur. I like the seemingly boundless physical stamina I've got. I like that I can decide, on a whim, to move very heavy furniture, by myself, while barely breaking a sweat. I like being able to wear whatever I want to without being insecure about unwelcome 'bumps' here and there. Also, the compliments and appreciative looks certainly don't hurt either. :D

I never want to go back to what I was and still feel ashamed that I let myself get to that. I feel immense shame that I used to scoff stupid amounts of the worst forms of junk-food with nary a thought as to what I was doing to myself, shame that I'd sit on my ass all day at the office or at home and engage in absolutely no unnecessary movement, shame that I took solace in food and my novels (simultaneously) whenever I was down/stressed (the novels aren't the shameful part).

A lot of my motivation to live a healthy lifestyle (for it is an all-encompassing way of being) comes partially from my fear that I'd revert to what I was and mostly from my perfectionist tendencies. We have a saying in Swahili that goes "Unakula ngombe mzima na unabakisha mkia?" Roughly translated, it means "If you're going to embark on something, see it through till the end." (how J). I've decided to live healthy and I'm going to go the whole hog, so help me God.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think that's pretty normal if you're not used to deep breathing. Unless we pay attention to our breaths, they're generally pretty shallow. I remember getting lightheaded when I first started breathing more deeply.

I don't breathe.