• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My sides/back are hurting for no reason, should I even be running? I get a stitch in my side just from walking a decent distance now.

The stitch in your side while jogging is usually caused by improper breathing.

Walking/jogging that sort of distance can be stressful on the joints, too. Be sure to take days off.

Jogging is a little too hard on my foot. I've had 7 surgeries on my left foot and just now have gotten through physical therapy and am able to walk long distances without a lot of pain for the first time. Things like jogging and treadmills where there is a strong impact between my foot and the ground is painful. I do alright with something like an elliptical where I don't have to pick up my foot.

Taking a look at that book though.

Man, that sucks. Yeah, perhaps jogging isn't the best option right now!

Are bicycling or rollerblading options?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The stitch in your side while jogging is usually caused by improper breathing.

Walking/jogging that sort of distance can be stressful on the joints, too. Be sure to take days off.

So I improperly breathe all the time? :huh: and starving makes me breathe better, I guess...

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:huh: I should utilize this thread.

I'd say the only traditional exercise I've done in the past two months has been walking. Otherwise, I take Zumba classes and use Wii games.
The past few days:
Saturday - Zumba 60min
Sunday - Wii: Gold's Gym 80min
Tonight - Zumba 60min.

Since 6/20, I've lost 14lbs. I don't flaunt that information, because I don't quite care yet :laugh:. I've developed STJ 'that's not good enough' attitude toward it ha.
-

I also made an Inspiration Board on Stixy.com. It's a bit corny, but it's motivational.
This is mine: Unkind Pass: musclemilk
*Beware lady-butts

Also, Udog, Sup :cool:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:huh: I should utilize this thread.

I'd say the only traditional exercise I've done in the past two months has been walking. Otherwise, I take Zumba classes and use Wii games.
The past few days:
Saturday - Zumba 60min
Sunday - Wii: Gold's Gym 80min
Tonight - Zumba 60min.

Since 6/20, I've lost 14lbs. I don't flaunt that information, because I don't quite care yet :laugh:. I've developed STJ 'that's not good enough' attitude toward it ha.
-

I also made an Inspiration Board on Stixy.com. It's a bit corny, but it's motivational.
This is mine: Unkind Pass: musclemilk
*Beware lady-butts

Also, Udog, Sup :cool:

'sup. How's life treatin' ya?

And congrats - 14 pounds in 2 months is great! If the 'not good enough' attitude keeps you motivated, then I say go for it. Just be sure to have an idea of what IS good enough, okay?

What's Zumba like? My local gym just started offering it, and I'm debating between that and "TurboKick" as a possible activity on my cardio workout days.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Are bicycling or rollerblading options?

Ehhh. I don't live in an area where it's particularly safe to go roaming around alone. Even during the day.

I'm just being whiney. I know I need to just get into the habit of driving to a gym every day after class. Thats just so much more inconvenient than it used to be, that I want to sit here all grumpy and throw a pity party for myself. :laugh:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Just stopping in to say I have been reading the thread.
I'm leaving for Europe today.
I'll be back Labor Day weekend.
Looking forward to getting my exercising back on track.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ehhh. I don't live in an area where it's particularly safe to go roaming around alone. Even during the day.

I'm just being whiney. I know I need to just get into the habit of driving to a gym every day after class. Thats just so much more inconvenient than it used to be, that I want to sit here all grumpy and throw a pity party for myself. :laugh:

Pity parties are an INFP favorite!! I'll bring the booze if you bring the tears!

You know, it's all about priorities. I don't know what your ultimate goals are, but if health is a priority, then isn't it worth giving a chunk of your day to meet that priority? And depending on your specific goals, a gym may or may not be the best option for you.

Just stopping in to say I have been reading the thread.
I'm leaving for Europe today.
I'll be back Labor Day weekend.
Looking forward to getting my exercising back on track.

*envies*

Have a fantastic trip, Mom!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've been maintaining 130-135 weight goal rather well. I dipped too low (down to 127-8) a while back, but now I'm running again and hitting the gym a couple times a week for strength training. I haven't been rigorously watching my weight, just portion control and healthier swaps here and there.

My sister is trying to loes her baby weight. I warned her that if she just ate whatever she felt like eating all day everyday she'd gain massive weight... She gained like 80 lbs during pregnancy obviously before she had the baby, and I had to remind her that the baby itself only weighs like <10 oz of that. :doh: Now she's upset about the whole thing.. so I gotta help her make a meal roster to keep her on track.

When it comes to cooking, I feel very natural about it. I can look at a recipe, identify important pieces of it, and adjust and tweek it to customize it to myself and my kitchen. My sister follows recipes to the T. Lord forbid we just pinch some pepper in instead of popping the top and measuring 1/4 tsp.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
'sup. How's life treatin' ya?

And congrats - 14 pounds in 2 months is great! If the 'not good enough' attitude keeps you motivated, then I say go for it. Just be sure to have an idea of what IS good enough, okay?

What's Zumba like? My local gym just started offering it, and I'm debating between that and "TurboKick" as a possible activity on my cardio workout days.
:cheese: Thanks mister. I'm keeping in mind when it suffices.
Life is pretty good. Starting college in under two weeks, trying to keep the stress low and the efficiency moderate-high ha. Otherwise, I've just been palling around with debbiegirl and working out.
How have you been? Just read that you hit a health speed bump around two months ago, everything all good? If there's another meetup anytime, I damned well expect to see you there :tongue10:

Zumba.. is a cult (says the ENFJ). Latin fusion funtimes, that I would absolutely recommend and back. My big butt burns heaps of calories every time and it's just a lot of fun.
There are a number of men who go to the classes at my gym. Most of them seem to love it, even if they feel a bit silly at first. There are a lot of latin dance moves, but they try to keep a somewhat easy-to-follow repetition so everyone can catch on and keep up. Don't be surprised at a lot of chest pumping and bootyshaking. :whistling: Turbokick might grant you more manly dignity than Zumba, but there's definitely fun things to watch in a Zumba class.

She gained like 80 lbs during pregnancy obviously before she had the baby, and I had to remind her that the baby itself only weighs like <10 oz of that. :doh: Now she's upset about the whole thing.. so I gotta help her make a meal roster to keep her on track.
Egads. Remind her that about 30lbs of that was good, necessary "i has babytime naow" weight. :yes:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:cheese: Thanks mister. I'm keeping in mind when it suffices.
Life is pretty good. Starting college in under two weeks, trying to keep the stress low and the efficiency moderate-high ha. Otherwise, I've just been palling around with debbiegirl and working out.
How have you been? Just read that you hit a health speed bump around two months ago, everything all good? If there's another meetup anytime, I damned well expect to see you there :tongue10:

Hey, I'm totally game for another NYC meetup - the last one was pretty fun. Plus, I didn't even get to finish playing stupid tourist in Manhattan.

Ah... gotta love college. Just be sure to find time to fit workouts in between classes. Or you could always bring your equipment to class and workout in the back. It'll be like watching TV during exercise...

As far as my health speed bump, I'm 99% better. Thanks for asking. :) I can workout again, which is the main thing. Not being able to do much of anything for 6 weeks sucked.

Zumba.. is a cult (says the ENFJ). Latin fusion funtimes, that I would absolutely recommend and back. My big butt burns heaps of calories every time and it's just a lot of fun.
There are a number of men who go to the classes at my gym. Most of them seem to love it, even if they feel a bit silly at first. There are a lot of latin dance moves, but they try to keep a somewhat easy-to-follow repetition so everyone can catch on and keep up. Don't be surprised at a lot of chest pumping and bootyshaking. :whistling: Turbokick might grant you more manly dignity than Zumba, but there's definitely fun things to watch in a Zumba class.

Wait, so I have to choose between watching fun things in Zumba class and the opportunity to taunt women that think they can beat me up? Oh man, this is an impossible decision you lay before me! How will I ever choose?

Oh, and thanks for the description. :)

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hey, I'm totally game for another NYC meetup - the last one was pretty fun. Plus, I didn't even get to finish playing stupid tourist in Manhattan.

Ah... gotta love college. Just be sure to find time to fit workouts in between classes. Or you could always bring your equipment to class and workout in the back. It'll be like watching TV during exercise...

As far as my health speed bump, I'm 99% better. Thanks for asking. :) I can workout again, which is the main thing. Not being able to do much of anything for 6 weeks sucked.

Wait, so I have to choose between watching fun things in Zumba class and the opportunity to taunt women that think they can beat me up? Oh man, this is an impossible decision you lay before me! How will I ever choose?

Oh, and thanks for the description. :)
:tongue: Yea another should be aimed for. Maybe more hotel collaboration or something too. Transportation out of NYC stops too early, imo.
The awesome thing about my schedule is that I factored in Zumba. I was so excited about that. I can make a class every day if i have the stamina. Also, I'm studying Exercise Science, so I get to take activity courses :). I chose International Folk Dance and Applied Modern Health (walking,running,swimming) on Wednesdays of this semester.
Definitely glad to hear you're doing better. Props for manning those 6 weeks lol. I get withdrawals after a few days now, I can't even imagine.

:laugh: I youtubed Turbokick after I posted. That class looks like it'd make most humans curl into a ball on the floor mid-session. Zumba ladies are far nicer, but go where your stamina takes you!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ugh, it turns out I'm sick again (I went to the doctor's for back pain similar to an infection I had earlier in the summer, and it turns out, the same sort of infection was brewing), and the antibiotic they gave me makes me tired and more sensitive to sunlight.

Again, ugh. Might take the rest of the week off or something.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:tongue: Yea another should be aimed for. Maybe more hotel collaboration or something too. Transportation out of NYC stops too early, imo.
The awesome thing about my schedule is that I factored in Zumba. I was so excited about that. I can make a class every day if i have the stamina. Also, I'm studying Exercise Science, so I get to take activity courses :). I chose International Folk Dance and Applied Modern Health (walking,running,swimming) on Wednesdays of this semester.
Definitely glad to hear you're doing better. Props for manning those 6 weeks lol. I get withdrawals after a few days now, I can't even imagine.

:laugh: I youtubed Turbokick after I posted. That class looks like it'd make most humans curl into a ball on the floor mid-session. Zumba ladies are far nicer, but go where your stamina takes you!

I'll let you know how it goes. Assuming I survive. While being curled into a fetal position hasn't stopped me from taunting before, perhaps it isn't the wisest strategy. :ninja:

Oh, and smart move taking activity classes early! I didn't take any sort of PE class until near the end of my degree. I definitely wish I would have taken the weight lifting class first semester... I ended up being in the best shape of my life after those 6 months. Graduation and real life got in the way after that! (Of course, I fully admit I let it get in the way.)

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Ugh, it turns out I'm sick again (I went to the doctor's for back pain similar to an infection I had earlier in the summer, and it turns out, the same sort of infection was brewing), and the antibiotic they gave me makes me tired and more sensitive to sunlight.

Again, ugh. Might take the rest of the week off or something.

Please, take the week off. Get yourself healthy for school. If you do go walking simply to get your blood flowing, keep it short and relaxed (nix the jogging).

Did the doc give any advice on future prevention? If so, is there any way you can integrate those changes into your life?

Oh, and I'm sort of slapping myself for not thinking of this earlier, but why not take a diet or exercise class your second semester to help fill one of your general ed requirements?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Please, take the week off. Get yourself healthy for school. If you do go walking simply to get your blood flowing, keep it short and relaxed (nix the jogging).

Did the doc give any advice on future prevention? If so, is there any way you can integrate those changes into your life?

Oh, and I'm sort of slapping myself for not thinking of this earlier, but why not take a diet or exercise class your second semester to help fill one of your general ed requirements?

If they have one that fits my biology/lab requirement that isn't too bloody and doesn't interrupt anything else, I'll probably do that.

I didn't really get that much advice on future prevention because I just switched doctors. I think I might be able to figure out stuff though.

I do want to still walk, but that sunlight sensitivity thing kind of scared me, I'd never heard of it as a side effect before.

And don't you know, it's not nice to taunt. :cry:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I feel horrible about not exercising but even trying to back for school exhausts me...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel horrible about not exercising but even trying to back for school exhausts me...

You shouldn't feel horrible for not exercising when you are sick. You are doing the right thing.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've gone to Zumba on Wednesday, Thursday, and am going again tonight. My quads weren't enjoying Day 2 for the first 10 minutes lol. I'll have to stretch them a lot before today's session.

Now, my concern is food. On Zumba days, I have to eat a lot. I need to look for cheap, good foods that are high in calories. Otherwise, I'll be constantly eating and constantly full. :shocking:
I'll let you know how it goes. Assuming I survive. While being curled into a fetal position hasn't stopped me from taunting before, perhaps it isn't the wisest strategy. :ninja:

Oh, and smart move taking activity classes early! I didn't take any sort of PE class until near the end of my degree. I definitely wish I would have taken the weight lifting class first semester... I ended up being in the best shape of my life after those 6 months. Graduation and real life got in the way after that! (Of course, I fully admit I let it get in the way.)

Keep us posted on how it goes!
:laugh: Maybe one day we can have a challenge at a meetup.
Zumba.. I Choose You!
I'm saving my weight training class until my 4th semester. Cardio all the way until then, well, apart from strength training here and there.
:tongue: Usually, the individual is the one who gets in the way of body-betterment. I'll totally admit to the same.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've gone to Zumba on Wednesday, Thursday, and am going again tonight. My quads weren't enjoying Day 2 for the first 10 minutes lol. I'll have to stretch them a lot before today's session.

Now, my concern is food. On Zumba days, I have to eat a lot. I need to look for cheap, good foods that are high in calories. Otherwise, I'll be constantly eating and constantly full. :shocking:

Try to eat your densest carbs (stuff besides fruit and veggies) within 3 hours after your Zumba workout. That can be your "food increase" if you wish. Cheap food will likely include whole grain pasta and rice... try to make it a fistful (or cup) or so and remember to include protein and some healthy fat with it. Look for bulk food stores in your area too, as rolled / steal cut oats, quinoa, etc are super healthy and are reasoanbly priced in bulk.

Beans are super cheap, and are one of the best foods you can eat. Experiment - not all beans make you gassy. Garbonzos (chick peas), green beans, and peas in particular tend to not be as... reactive.

:laugh: Maybe one day we can have a challenge at a meetup.
Zumba.. I Choose You!
I'm saving my weight training class until my 4th semester. Cardio all the way until then, well, apart from strength training here and there.
:tongue: Usually, the individual is the one who gets in the way of body-betterment. I'll totally admit to the same.

Yes, I understand Zumba to be a critical part of part of the NYC experience. :yes:

Something to think about for later: If body composition change is your goal (lose fat, gain a bit of muscle), then you may want to consider taking weight training earlier rather than later. Weight training increases lean muscle mass, which means you burn more calories doing nothing. Also, after a workout session your metabolism gets jacked up while it does the work of repairing the damaged muscle, which also means burning more calories doing nothing. If you add a cardio workout a day or two after a weight training workout, while your metabolism is still jacked up a bit, you will begin to compound how you burn calories.

Resistance training is one of the most effective ways to change your body composition, and it's a tool you will want in your arsenal.

Of course, right now what you are doing is working, so I wouldn't recommend changing a thing for the time being.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Saturday: Zumba
Sunday: WiiFit Yoga/Strength Training, Pushups, and Crunches (probably the weakest pushups ever :laugh:)
Monday: Zumba
Tuesday: --
Wednesday: Zumba

I'd say I'm back into the swing of things.
I was hoping my 56 year old Zumba instructor would be in today. She used to have knee problems, but worked through them. Now she bounces around like no tomorrow and without an ounce of flinching. I need her secrets because my knees hate the hell out of me right now :cry:.
Try to eat your densest carbs (stuff besides fruit and veggies) within 3 hours after your Zumba workout. That can be your "food increase" if you wish. Cheap food will likely include whole grain pasta and rice... try to make it a fistful (or cup) or so and remember to include protein and some healthy fat with it. Look for bulk food stores in your area too, as rolled / steal cut oats, quinoa, etc are super healthy and are reasoanbly priced in bulk.

Beans are super cheap, and are one of the best foods you can eat. Experiment - not all beans make you gassy. Garbonzos (chick peas), green beans, and peas in particular tend to not be as... reactive.

Yes, I understand Zumba to be a critical part of part of the NYC experience. :yes:

Something to think about for later: If body composition change is your goal (lose fat, gain a bit of muscle), then you may want to consider taking weight training earlier rather than later. Weight training increases lean muscle mass, which means you burn more calories doing nothing. Also, after a workout session your metabolism gets jacked up while it does the work of repairing the damaged muscle, which also means burning more calories doing nothing. If you add a cardio workout a day or two after a weight training workout, while your metabolism is still jacked up a bit, you will begin to compound how you burn calories.

Resistance training is one of the most effective ways to change your body composition, and it's a tool you will want in your arsenal.

Of course, right now what you are doing is working, so I wouldn't recommend changing a thing for the time being.
Raaaah. Next time I go grocery shopping- I'll need a plan for this express purpose. A lot of people have said beans, cheeses, nuts, and peanut butter. I can't complain about not being a bottomless pit :laugh:, but it does make it difficult in the meantime.

Mm true. Strength training is said to burn for periods of time after working out, while cardio burns during. It's just difficult for me to pick days where I'll do strength training. I'm thinking Sundays and Mondays are nice, but there's no break in between those days. Maybe I'll do some morning strength training and nightly Zumba here and there :huh:. Thinking outloud lol.
Did you try out the Turbokick thing? I want to make sure you survive once you do!

Sparkpeople threw out two interesting factoids to me today-
1. while resting, lung capacity is reduced to 10-15%.
2. if someone is/becomes obese, a friend of theirs is 57% more likely to become obese.