• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If you are feeling better now, it's likely you just over exerted yourself (especially during that sprint) and inflamed something or other. Usually, if you ice your shins and take it easy for a few days, your leg recovers.

If it continues on, then seeing a doctor sooner rather than later is a good thing. Likely, this is related to your trip and the mad sprint you posted about earlier.

Oh no, this has been going on for a few weeks, walking home from school. Going home from school is about a mile uphill. I know this has been going on at least since that last post of stupid feet of doom and so it's been going on even before that.

"You're walking uphill a mile it's supposed to hurt stupid" is what I'm thinking but it's not like exertion hurt. I don't know what it is.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh no, this has been going on for a few weeks, walking home from school. Going home from school is about a mile uphill. I know this has been going on at least since that last post of stupid feet of doom and so it's been going on even before that.

"You're walking uphill a mile it's supposed to hurt stupid" is what I'm thinking but it's not like exertion hurt. I don't know what it is.

Stretch your legs fully before walking home, see if that has any impact. Walking uphill may be lengthening some muscles and tightening others without balancing them out. Sure walking uphill may cause discomfort but shooting pain isn't a natural side effect of walking.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, stretching is really quite important.

How old are your shoes, Hap? Old shoes could play a role in your pain as well.

If I recall, you are walking over a mile each day. You'll be surprised how quickly running/cross country/etc shoes lose their cushioning with that kind of walking. If I recall, we are talking about 3 months if that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yes, stretching is really quite important.

How old are your shoes, Hap? Old shoes could play a role in your pain as well.

If I recall, you are walking over a mile each day. You'll be surprised how quickly running/cross country/etc shoes lose their cushioning with that kind of walking. If I recall, we are talking about 3 months if that.

I only got my shoes about a month ago -- my old ones were completely falling apart. I can't really think of .8 miles there and .8 miles back as that much.

I'll try stretching, I haven't before. Usually I'm too eager to get out of there. If that doesn't work, well, I suppose I can always start taking the bus again.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I only got my shoes about a month ago -- my old ones were completely falling apart.

They don't happen to coincide with when your legs started hurting do they? It's not new shoes that matter, it's the kind of support they offer.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
They don't happen to coincide with when your legs started hurting do they? It's not new shoes that matter, it's the kind of support they offer.

I started walking home (uphill) about the same time I bought new shoes, so I wouldn't be able to tell.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recommend you not walk at all for the rest of the week so your shins can recover a bit. This isn't the type of pain you want to force yourself through.

Next week, if you are feeling mostly better, resume the downhill walks only. If you are feeling good by the end of next week, then you can add 1 or 2 uphill walks for the week after that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I recommend you not walk at all for the rest of the week so your shins can recover a bit. This isn't the type of pain you want to force yourself through.

Next week, if you are feeling mostly better, resume the downhill walks only. If you are feeling good by the end of next week, then you can add 1 or 2 uphill walks for the week after that.

Err, I have to walk to school, there's no other way for me to get there. I can rest over the long weekend, though.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Udog, you and me should open a counselling service, being such naturally helpful people we'd be ace!

:D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hurk, I woke up this morning from a sore throat.

Today is not going to be a good day.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Today I got a week tryout to a local gym that only costs $10 a month to go... It's the cost of a meal at subway pretty much.

I think I can afford at least that much.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Today I got a week tryout to a local gym that only costs $10 a month to go... It's the cost of a meal at subway pretty much.

I think I can afford at least that much.

Hey. Great things can be accomplished in the cheapest of gyms, even.
It's just how you do it. ;) Keep at it and you'll end up enjoying it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ More importantly, they have TV's.. you wouldn't think this would be a big deal.. but for a couch potato like my mother, she has no excuse to NOT go walking now. She can watch "her show" at the gym with me.

Now it's just a matter of building a cohesive plan as to how I'm going to get the things accomplished I want. I really... really.. want some god damn strength. I'm tired of being weak.

Tomorrow: The agenda is a good amount of speed walking, and an hour of lifting weights, followed by lots of ab work and stretching.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well, I'm using the lessons and feedback from the last one to try and improve this one while reducing the effort on my part. I'm intentionally trying to make this less work on me! :D

My thoughts on the next challenge:
1. Participation is based on submitting a weekly report. Like with the last challenge, they can be as quick or as in-depth as you want to make them.
2. After someone fails to report for X number of weeks, they are out. X is to be determined. I'm thinking 2 or 3.
3. I will only PM someone after they have missed a week, in order to inform them of how many more weeks they have left.
4. Participants will get a special user name color ala The Gauntlet challenges. (Thank you Trinity, Jennifer, and mods for your approval and help with this! Thank you Kyuuei for the idea.) The color has not been determined. I'm open to suggestions. Blue, Red, and Gold are already taken.

So no keeping track of cheats. This will alleviate the work on my end and, honestly, they weren't that popular anyway.

Oh, and everything above is subject to change, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. If someone has any suggestions, please do share.

I vote green color!! Or orange! And I'm in!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Awesome, and thanks for the feedback. The color is currently set at green, and I'm not seeing any reason to change it.

I'm going to disappear from the forums for a couple of weeks, but I'll be back in time to announce the Summer challenge. Happy exercising!

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
OMG! I can eat STRAWBERRIES and POTATOES every day now! RAGNAR here I come!! I'm so happy!

Sayonara beef jerky and boiled egg whites!

(I just switched up my routine from strength training for the past long time, to training for a marathon.)

22.6% body fat, HELL YEAH! I've been working so hard... Three more percent to go I think.

Last edited:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ Rowr. :wubbie:

I'm down to 30.5% body fat myself, and 233.4 lbs.

So I'm back under the weight I was when I won the weight loss contest at work in 2008.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
That's fantastic! so how much have you been able to lose so far? It takes alot of work. lol. I have been spending an hour at the gym 3-5 days a week since xmas, and making food every other day... What type of program are you primarily doing?