• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is the contest off? Starting a new one?

Thinking about it.

I feel bad.

I had to run a half a block and up three flights of stairs and my heart wouldn't stop pounding...

I feel really terrible. Really really terrible. I was in Mexico stuffing myself full of cruise food and didn't gain any weight. And then I just spent 4 days with my orchestra on a trip and suddenly gained like, 4 pounds. Really, really, really terrible disgusting this like has undone everything I've worked for all year...

I doubt it's undone all the work you've done for the year.... we are talking about 14,000 extra calories to gain 4 pounds of fat. How long was the orchestra trip?

If you have gained it all back, then you'll just need to decide to start again, this time wiser for your previous mistakes. I believe you can do that. Learning how to live a healthy life style is a process, and mistakes are a part of that. It's okay. :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Thinking about it.

I doubt it's undone all the work you've done for the year.... we are talking about 14,000 extra calories to gain 4 pounds of fat. How long was the orchestra trip?

If you have gained it all back, then you'll just need to decide to start again, this time wiser for your previous mistakes. I believe you can do that. Learning how to live a healthy life style is a process, and mistakes are a part of that. It's okay. :)

The orchestra trip was 4 days long. Much of it was sitting on a bus for 40+ hours.

I had to eat what was given to me or else I couldn't eat. I was forced out of how I usually eat. And I couldn't do anything about it. Nothing. And just four days could undo everything.

What was the mistake? Supporting my orchestra? Should I never go on trips where I have no say in my food again?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The orchestra trip was 4 days long. Much of it was sitting on a bus for 40+ hours.

I had to eat what was given to me or else I couldn't eat. I was forced out of how I usually eat. And I couldn't do anything about it. Nothing. And just four days could undo everything.

What was the mistake? Supporting my orchestra? Should I never go on trips where I have no say in my food again?

What Biax said. You didn't undo everything, it's just that most likely the foods they were serving were high in sodium. Mix that with sitting, and you gain water weight.

For future reference, bring your own snacks with you so you can at least get *some* healthy eating in. You can make your own trail mix with assorted nuts (healthy fat), raisins and dried fruit (carbs), and pumpkin seeds (protein), and that'll reduce your dependence on their food. Throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips if you need something sweet to make it worth eating for you.

Let's look at this analytically, though. 4 pounds = 14,000 calories. Consider that you probably need 1,500-2,000 calories a day to maintain weight, and we are talking about 20,000 calories minimum for you to gain 4 pounds of fat in 4 days. Did you eat 20,000 calories over 4 days?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What Biax said. You didn't undo everything, it's just that most likely the foods they were serving were high in sodium. Mix that with sitting, and you gain water weight.

For future reference, bring your own snacks with you so you can at least get *some* healthy eating in. You can make your own trail mix with assorted nuts (healthy fat), raisins and dried fruit (carbs), and pumpkin seeds (protein), and that'll reduce your dependence on their food. Throw in a handful of dark chocolate chips if you need something sweet to make it worth eating for you.

Let's look at this analytically, though. 4 pounds = 14,000 calories. Consider that you probably need 1,500-2,000 calories a day to maintain weight, and we are talking about 20,000 calories minimum for you to gain 4 pounds of fat in 4 days. Did you eat 20,000 calories over 4 days?

I could have. Or I could have just not moved nearly as much as I usually do, so my calorie need would have been very, very low...

That trail mix sounds good though.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could have. Or I could have just not moved nearly as much as I usually do, so my calorie need would have been very, very low...

That trail mix sounds good though.

Actually, physical activity is a small sliver of your total energy expenditure - around 30%. So even if you only burn 1,500 calories a day (which I think we calculated as being low for you), we are still talking about ~1,000 calories.

Sorry, I'm not going to let you feel too guilty for letting yourself enjoy a few days of being off your diet. :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Actually, physical activity is a small sliver of your total energy expenditure - around 30%. So even if you only burn 1,500 calories a day (which I think we calculated as being low for you), we are still talking about ~1,000 calories.

Sorry, I'm not going to let you feel too guilty for letting yourself enjoy a few days of being off your diet. :D

No, no, I insist, the insanity of sitting is sure to conserve tons of energy.

What diet are you talking about? I did not enjoy being "off" of whatever diet I'm on at all! I like the food I eat at home and the food they gave us was absolutely terrible!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What diet are you talking about? I did not enjoy being "off" of whatever diet I'm on at all! I like the food I eat at home and the food they gave us was absolutely terrible!

Okay, that sucks. I'd figure a school function would be required by law or something to make sure everyone had healthy food. Shame on them!!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For those interested in a new exercise challenge, rumor has it that May 1st may be a date of interest. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to do this, though.

Personal update: I forgot to mention that I moved onto the treadmill last week. I alternated 1 minute walking with 1 minute jogging for 4 minutes, so it wasn't anything too fancy. Truthfully, though, I've been slacking a bit other than that.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
May 1? Hurrah!! I'm looking forward to it! Is there any way that we can make it easier to organize, maintain, etc? You've done such a great job with this last one.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I'm using the lessons and feedback from the last one to try and improve this one while reducing the effort on my part. I'm intentionally trying to make this less work on me! :D

My thoughts on the next challenge:
1. Participation is based on submitting a weekly report. Like with the last challenge, they can be as quick or as in-depth as you want to make them.
2. After someone fails to report for X number of weeks, they are out. X is to be determined. I'm thinking 2 or 3.
3. I will only PM someone after they have missed a week, in order to inform them of how many more weeks they have left.
4. Participants will get a special user name color ala The Gauntlet challenges. (Thank you Trinity, Jennifer, and mods for your approval and help with this! Thank you Kyuuei for the idea.) The color has not been determined. I'm open to suggestions. Blue, Red, and Gold are already taken.

So no keeping track of cheats. This will alleviate the work on my end and, honestly, they weren't that popular anyway.

Oh, and everything above is subject to change, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. If someone has any suggestions, please do share.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Err, can somebody tell me what shin splints feel like?

Painful. They get worse the more your shins/feet are punished, running on hard surfaces is especially bad. There are different causes, mine were caused by Pes Planus (an impressive new word I just learnt *pride* basically flat feet) which due to a bunch of reasons lead to inflammation, the more inflamed it became, the weaker the muscle became, the more inflamed it became [and repeat], it was a cycle that could not end without rest and orthotics. Problem was it wasn't immobilising, so I could still run and play sports, which I did, it was just really painful at the end of a game and would not desist until I took 2 years off all sports.

When I'd run my fingers down my shins the inflammations would be painful and raised, massaging them was especially painful. Anti-inflammatory are supposed to help, they prolly did but they didn't take away much pain.

If you think you have Shin Splints, get them checked out as if the cause is the same as mine you will need orthotics, sooner rather than later is better as my feet have also caused problems with my pelvis and therefore lower back.

Err, forgot, also tingling, that's what it felt like, I didn't get it so much in my feet (IIRC) as I did my actual shins but tingling is often present.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know what's wrong.

I don't know what pain is like. I think I'm kind of stupid in that respect.

Any help on like, where? Like something is bolting through about where tall athletic socks stop on my legs, far before anything else on my leg hurts or feels like it's been properly "exercised".

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Rule of thumb, if you have shooting pain get it checked out, a sports physio would be best. But fyi I would get a shooting pain.

I'd generally wear a shin compression wrap or calf sleeve while exercising, it alleviated some pain but it still hurt like hell. This calf sleeve is covering where it hurt, draw a line from about the inside of the tag down and that where my shin was inflamed:

ANATECH_CALF_SLEEVE.jpg

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Rule of thumb, if you have shooting pain get it checked out, a sports physio would be best. But fyi I would get a shooting pain.

I'd generally wear a shin compression wrap or calf sleeve while exercising, it alleviated some pain but it still hurt like hell. This calf sleeve is covering where it hurt, draw a line from about the inside of the tag down and that where my shin was inflamed:

ANATECH_CALF_SLEEVE.jpg

This is definitely from the side (outside in), not from the front. It's not hurting now.

I don't know how I would define a shooting pain. I mean, I managed to walk all the way home, didn't I?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are feeling better now, it's likely you just over exerted yourself (especially during that sprint) and inflamed something or other. Usually, if you ice your shins and take it easy for a few days, your leg recovers.

If it continues on, then seeing a doctor sooner rather than later is a good thing. Likely, this is related to your trip and the mad sprint you posted about earlier.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is definitely from the side (outside in), not from the front. It's not hurting now.

I don't know how I would define a shooting pain. I mean, I managed to walk all the way home, didn't I?

Hmm... If it's not sore in the below areas then it's prolly something other than shin splints.

shin_splints.gif

Not a physio so dunno but if it's sore again I'd suggest ice and rest, if it persists get a second opinion :D