• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Excellent, ergo!

I did my physical therapy exercises. Since my knee hasn't been hurting, I asked if I can upgrade to using the elliptical. So today I did 5 minutes elliptical, and we'll slowly increase the impact I put on my knee over the next few weeks. In 2 or so weeks, I should be doing a few minutes of treadmill if all goes well.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did my exercise program today.
I used ankle weights for the first time... just to challenge myself.
I do a whole body work out that includes weights and exercise band...
stretching and balance work.

I've stayed in my pj's all day. :blush:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went for a walk. My knee was hurting a small bit before the walk ... so alas, I may lose elliptical privileges. We'll see.

I did my exercise program today.
I used ankle weights for the first time... just to challenge myself.
I do a whole body work out that includes weights and exercise band...
stretching and balance work.

I've stayed in my pj's all day. :blush:

That sounds like a good workout! Good idea about the ankle weights, too. It's a great way to burn a few extra calories and subtly work on strength. :)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
NF based – Speech (beware, emotion content ahead)
6 months ago, around 30 brave and noble TypeC members embarked on a 6 month challenge of health and exercise. While we all have had our ups and downs, 15 have made it through and successfully completed the challenge. Honestly, this thread turned out to be far more interesting and inspiring than I ever could have hoped for. Thank you to everyone for sharing both your triumphs and your challenges – I really had a great time with this.

:yay:

Big thanks to you, Udog, for organizing and following up with this :).

Finally felt good enough this week to complete a full workout regimen after the weeks-long annoying sick/cough-spasm thing. On the elliptical thing... I'm thinking about ditching my exercise bike (that I bought 8-9 years ago dirt cheap and is practically falling apart now). Ellipticals are much more expensive, but they might give a better workout too. I run (or try :D) a couple of times a week, but in bad weather I think it's a poor idea (ie, my lungs probably shouldn't hurt for hours after running, like they do when I run in 15-degree weather). For anyone who's got an elliptical, do you like it?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Four weeks into the Men's Health personal trainer program, and I have lost 9.8 pounds and 1.5% body fat. :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Four weeks into the Men's Health personal trainer program, and I have lost 9.8 pounds and 1.5% body fat. :)

That's very good progress!

How long does the program last, again?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's very good progress!

How long does the program last, again?

Well, basically it lasts until you cancel it. Some of the workouts do have timed "phases" to them. My workout plan actually auto-switched me over to "Phase 2" today when I entered my results, based on the number of workouts I've completed. I read over the first couple weeks of prescribed Phase 2 exercises, said "No way in hell" and manually switched back to Phase 1. :D

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did my exercise program last night after work. I was sooooooo exhausted... and weak from a migraine med... but I did it anyway. And I'm glad I did because it made me feel better... at least emotionally.

When I got home from work, I pulled into my garage and wept in my car... and relished the silence. My 16 year old son eventually got curious as to why I hadn't come into the house and opened the garage door to see what I was doing. He opened my car door and said, "Bad day?" And I burst out laughing... because it reminded me of that scene in Kate & Leopold where Kate is whooping and dancing on the sidewalk and Leopold says, "You seem pleased."

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did physical therapy yesterday. My hips aren't locking nearly as much as they used to - I'm making progress! Unlike last week, where the elliptical caused my knee to hurt for 2 days, my knee is doing fine today.

I did my exercise program last night after work. I was sooooooo exhausted... and weak from a migraine med... but I did it anyway. And I'm glad I did because it made me feel better... at least emotionally.

When I got home from work, I pulled into my garage and wept in my car... and relished the silence. My 16 year old son eventually got curious as to why I hadn't come into the house and opened the garage door to see what I was doing. He opened my car door and said, "Bad day?" And I burst out laughing... because it reminded me of that scene in Kate & Leopold where Kate is whooping and dancing on the sidewalk and Leopold says, "You seem pleased."

:hug: I'm glad you got a good cry out, and then was able to get a laugh out of it.

Thanks for posting. :) I hope you remember the emotional boost, and can use it as incentive to work out next time you are feeling a bit down.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
As a last resort, Udog will fly me to your house for 2 weeks, so that I may whip(literally) you into shape. :D

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Did upper body on Monday, lower on Wednesday, and about to do upper again today in a few hours. Been eating well: lots of protein, no junk food, trying to get fiber in. Gonna start biking to class.

I weigh 120 pounds right now, and I can only bench 65. Let's compare that to 6 weeks from now =D.

I want to start doing the interval training cardio between lifting days, but my legs are always so destroyed after lower-lifting days that I can't run right.

This my routine: Advice would be greatly appreciated!

MONDAY: Bench press, tricep extension, military lift, crunches with weights
WEDNESDAY: Squats with weights, leg press, quad extension, hamstring, crunches with weights, sometimes more bench press if I feel up to it.

Then on Friday, repeat Monday, then keep cycling between upper and lower. On days in-between, I've been doing nothing.

Am I missing anything important? I really don't know what I'm doing.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a last resort, Udog will fly me to your house for 2 weeks, so that I may whip(literally) you into shape. :D

Hahaha! That would probably do it!

I want to start doing the interval training cardio between lifting days, but my legs are always so destroyed after lower-lifting days that I can't run right.

I know this problem myself. :) How many times a week do you work out legs? Definitely take the day after a leg training off (or better yet, keep it to light activity like walking), but by the second or third day you should be able to go back to intervals. Back when I could jog, I would would plan a rest day after leg day whenever possible.

Edit: You edited your post with more info while I was replying. Will check out your workout later (if someone doesn't beat me to it) - but I gotta go for now.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The weather was beautiful today, so I took advantage of it and went on my 60 minute walk.

I had been eating very well the past few days (cooking my own meals again, even), but I indulged a bit tonight. And by a bit, I mean alot! :D

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know this problem myself. :) How many times a week do you work out legs? Definitely take the day after a leg training off (or better yet, keep it to light activity like walking), but by the second or third day you should be able to go back to intervals. Back when I could jog, I would would plan a rest day after leg day whenever possible.

Edit: You edited your post with more info while I was replying. Will check out your workout later (if someone doesn't beat me to it) - but I gotta go for now.

I do legs every other workout day, and I workout every other day. I always take 1 day off after lifting anything, but the problem is during those days off I'm sore, and I can't run; Then the next day, it's back to lifting. I wonder if I shouldn't be lifting every other day?

Also, could you give me some tips on the workout I posted if you wouldn't mind? :)

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, just got back from the gym again. Worked out upper. Added shoulders to the workout.

I've been continuing to eat right and dropped a few pounds before I started lifting (I only weigh 119lbs right now, so I don't think anymore slimming down is needed lol)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I do legs every other workout day, and I workout every other day. I always take 1 day off after lifting anything, but the problem is during those days off I'm sore, and I can't run; Then the next day, it's back to lifting. I wonder if I shouldn't be lifting every other day?

Also, could you give me some tips on the workout I posted if you wouldn't mind? :)

If you do legs right, you can get away with doing them every 5-7 days. If you are sticking to an every other day schedule. You may be doing too much, unless you are using proper supplementation.

How long have you been lifting weights? How old are you?

Need more info.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The weather was beautiful today, so I took advantage of it and went on my 60 minute walk.

I had been eating very well the past few days (cooking my own meals again, even)...
Yay! :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

If you do legs right, you can get away with doing them every 5-7 days. If you are sticking to an every other day schedule. You may be doing too much, unless you are using proper supplementation.

How long have you been lifting weights? How old are you?

Need more info.

Agreed with Biax. When I was being a good boy about lifting, I was only lifting legs once a week or so. Usually, I scheduled my rest day for right after leg day because, yes, jogging is usually shot the day after a good leg work out.