User Tag List

First 3676848586878896136186 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm not interested in bulging muscles, just building strength.
    Good one
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Bad weekend for eating (I invited everyone to a birthday feast on Sat and ate greasy while lost on the road back from the beach on Sun), but I did manage my cardio on Sun. So yay, I'm back to 4x a week.

Sleep deprivation totally caught up with me this weekend though. Going to try doing daytime cardio? Plus the weather's getting a little cold at night, even bundled up and sweating.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Late again! I'm bad at this

9/28
    Breakfast was yogurt, berries, pears and granola. Lunch was an egg salad sandwich with tomatoes and lettuce, with some Sun Chips. Had a little granola later. Walked, but nothing much.
    Eating: good
    Exercise: no

9/29
    For breakfast I had yogurt, berries, and granola again. Had a handful of dry roasted soybeans for a snack. Dinner was the same as yesterday. Vanilla pudding for desert. Walked around for like a half hour.
    Eating: good

9/30
    Had a granola bar for breakfast and a turkey, cream cheese, and lettuce sammich for lunch. Soybeans for a snack, and saltines later.
    Eating: moar veggies plz
    Exercise: not really

10/1
    Had the usual yogurt parfait for breakfast, saltines and a granola bar. Dry roasted soybeans later. Dinner was a rather flavorless (and fairly healthy) mushu vegetable plate, followed by (much less healthy) cherry ice cream. Did at least an hour of walking around.
    Eating: ok
    Exercise: yes

10/2
    The usual for breakfast, leftover vegetables and rice for lunch. Dinner was a lite beer (lol). Had two totally vile-but-delicious bacon-y cheesey potato skins in the early morning. Did a little walking and about 15 minutes of yoga/crunches/push ups.
    Eating: Um. ok.
    Exercise: not enough

10/3
    Had the other two potato skins for breakfast and some cereal, and orange juice. For lunch I stole a couple bites of my friend's Panda Express and had a cone of sugar free frozen yogurt. Dinner was a 6" from subway (lettuce, tomato, spinach, cucumber, dressing and cheese). Went for a 30 minute jog, did 15 minutes of yoga/crunches etc. Also did a lot of walking around. Snacked on some dry roasted soybeans.
    Eating: pretty good
    Exercise: yes

10/4
    Ate a chicken ceasar salad and a bagel for lunch. Went to a friend's house for dinner, had meatloaf, weird cheesy vegetables, potatoes. Snacked on some very tiny cupcakes, three fun-sized candy thangs, and soybeans.
    Eating: ok

TOTAL:
    Exercise: 2/3
    Eating: acceptable but inconsistent.

Remaining cheat days: 7

As long as the weather remains tolerable I'll keep going out for jogs. I'm also doing a lot more walking around and I take the stairs (4 flights) a couple times a day, so although workouts have been sparse I've been fairly active.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENFJ

.8 mi to school

I forgot how many laps I did, but I did laps today
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Just got back from Muay Thai. My gym clothes look like I went swimming in them. Feel good though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Reporting for last week - still am sick and added sick tummy to my other ailments. Everyone at school has been down! I had three workouts, but missed the other one.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I completed my week again. Curiously, still no additional weight loss since the 8 pounds I lost the first week...four weeks holding steady on weight. I hope it's because I'm building muscle instead of that my workout is not rigorous enough.

On the bright side, my workout is progressing. The first week I started with 30 minutes on the treadmill, 10 pushups, and 20 crunches. I'm up to 35 minutes on the treadmill with incline added, 30 pushups, and 40 crunches. In the coming weeks I'm going to look into mixing up the workout with some lunges, squats and other stuff. Six weeks seems to be about the time to mix it up.
    Your increases are telling me you are definitely getting healthier, so congratulations! I'm finding your discipline to be very admirable - I've been trying to match it, to be honest. And mixing up your routine somewhere between weeks 4-8 is highly recommended. I'll be doing the same after Week 8.

If fat loss (with some muscle gains) is your goal, perhaps we can try and develop a routine that is a bit more optimized for those goals. Lunges and squats are a great start.

For the experienced people, a question...I have some 5 lb dumbbells an old roommate left. Would they serve any purpose for a large framed man, or are they too light to make any difference? I was thinking at high numbers of reps maybe they could tone, but I don't know. I'm not interested in bulging muscles, just building strength.
    Someone like Biax or Wolfy might be able to verify, but if you start feeling it around rep 12-20, then you can probably get some good out of them. If you can do 20 easily, then there are probably better options available to you. Although those will be great for adding a bit of weight for lunges and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    10/1
    TOTAL:
    Exercise: 2/3
    Eating: acceptable but inconsistent.

Remaining cheat days: 7

As long as the weather remains tolerable I'll keep going out for jogs. I'm also doing a lot more walking around and I take the stairs (4 flights) a couple times a day, so although workouts have been sparse I've been fairly active.
    I like the way that, for the most part, you exercised on the days that you cheated the most on. If those cheats came after the exercise, even better.

Also, I have you down for having used 2 cheats. One this week, and one during week 2. I gave you the benefit of the doubt last week on account of sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Reporting for last week - still am sick and added sick tummy to my other ailments. Everyone at school has been down! I had three workouts, but missed the other one.
    No cheats required if you've been sick. The stress from exercise can actually prolong recovering from sickness.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I busted into weight training class and did a 1 mile run. They didn't know what hit them. I clocked in at 9:35.. Not awesome at all, but it's about 30 seconds over what I should run my first mile of my 2 mile run in, so I'm proud of it. Then I went back for my workout partner and ran with her to the finish line.

Some leg presses, squats, outter and inner thigh work and calf raises completed the workout today. My partner asks the coach "Why didn't you come get me?!" and he goes "I was about to but I just saw a flash and some leaves blow by and she was off to get you already!"
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I like the way that, for the most part, you exercised on the days that you cheated the most on. If those cheats came after the exercise, even better.

Also, I have you down for having used 2 cheats. One this week, and one during week 2. I gave you the benefit of the doubt last week on account of sickness.
    Thanks! Yeah, that's the power of food guilt

Oh, yeah, I guess I kind of forgot to take into account that I was sick for most of that week. Thanks, I feel like that's an honest enough assessment.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Your increases are telling me you are definitely getting healthier, so congratulations! I'm finding your discipline to be very admirable - I've been trying to match it, to be honest. And mixing up your routine somewhere between weeks 4-8 is highly recommended. I'll be doing the same after Week 8.

If fat loss (with some muscle gains) is your goal, perhaps we can try and develop a routine that is a bit more optimized for those goals. Lunges and squats are a great start.

Someone like Biax or Wolfy might be able to verify, but if you start feeling it around rep 12-20, then you can probably get some good out of them. If you can do 20 easily, then there are probably better options available to you. Although those will be great for adding a bit of weight for lunges and whatnot.

No cheats required if you've been sick. The stress from exercise can actually prolong recovering from sickness.
    Slow, strict, squeeze the muscle as you curl. Do a 4 count, 4 seconds up, 4 seconds down. Squeezing the entire time. If after 12 reps you feel nothing, let me suggest gallon milk jugs filled with concrete. Or perhaps investing in a cheap pair of dumbbells. Until you get into the 50 pound range they are pretty reasonable.