First 1757656667686977117167 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    ok thanks. so how many should I be consuming? like how many calories to people need? i've done well this week. *pats back* ooo and NO SODA! but i can't give up coffee. haven't had a cup today and have a headache. :/
    First, no soda is an awesome achievement. And if you need to keep coffee for now, then keep coffee for now.

As far as calories, that's always a tricky question because there are so many variables. Here's a site that did a pretty good job matching my calorie needs (I just checked it compared to what I already calculated awhile back).

Calorie Need - Nutrition Guide for Women

How many calories does it recommend?

MBTI
    ENFJ

No walk today because I was in a toga and that would be too difficult to walk to school in

25 min weight training, and it felt like crap. Probably because I only had about 4 hours of sleep last night?

Calorie counter thingy says with 30 minutes of exercise each day, I should eat 2259.3 and I'll be able to reach my goal weight.

That still seems like a lot...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    No walk today because I was in a toga and that would be too difficult to walk to school in

25 min weight training, and it felt like crap. Probably because I only had about 4 hours of sleep last night?
    4 hours of sleep would certainly make a workout less effective. Working out in a toga may prove difficult as well.

Calorie counter thingy says with 30 minutes of exercise each day, I should eat 2259.3 and I'll be able to reach my goal weight.

That still seems like a lot...
    Use the first number - "Calories needed to maintain your weight without exercise". Don't focus on the rest as much. And remember it's just another estimate.

Calorie intake is like Goldilock's porridge: both too many and too few calories will do you no good. You have to figure out what's "just right" for you. It's possible that the number in the website is way too high, but don't simply dismiss it. A number like that has caveats, but it isn't a random number either.

Most people start off with way too few calories, and it makes it difficult for them to lose weight. Or they eat a good number of calories, but eat unhealthy food. 2,000 calories of healthy food is much, much different than 1,250 calories healthy food + 250 calorie soda + 500 calorie bowl of ice cream. You can eat 2,000 calories of food and still be malnourished, and your body can resist using fat when it's in a state of malnourishment.

Here's a breakdown of the calories you use each day:

Physical Energy Expenditure: 25-35%
    Resting Energy Expenditure: 60-65%
    Energy Increases From Eating Food: 5-10%

The highest use of energy, by a long shot, comes from resting energy expenditure. It's called the basal metabolic rate, and you can estimate yours here.

Most people focus on "physical energy expenditure", but the truth is anything you can do to jack up your resting energy expenditure is what will really make the difference. Exercise requires a time investment. If you can increase your resting metabolic rate, you burn more calories even when you aren't exercising. See how powerful a tool that can be?

I geek out a bit more on the topic in my blog:
    Energy balance and losing weight
    More on the BMR. (Danger, math content)

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Cool stuff I found:

365 p

shows a time lapse photographic sequence on a man exercising for 365 days.
    Oh - this is an awesome video!

However, I've always found it weird how exercising makes men's chest hair fall out. That's a health hazard/benefit I haven't read too much about, yet. :confused:

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Most people focus on "physical energy expenditure", but the truth is anything you can do to jack up your resting energy expenditure is what will really make the difference. Exercise requires a time investment. If you can increase your resting metabolic rate, you burn more calories even when you aren't exercising. See how powerful a tool that can be?
    I have definitely noticed this.

The basal rate thingy gave me this: Your basal metabolic rate is 1545 calories per day. Your total energy requirements are 2009 calories per day.

that seems a little better.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Yeah. 2000 calories of healthy food is a great place to start for you, I think. Just remember, using junk food to reach the 2,000 calorie mark doesn't count.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

i totally forgot about the calories i burn just moving around! ok then i should be just fine. i consumed approximately 1700 calories today. i splurged by eating a bowl of cocoa puffs (was out of my "diet" cereal) with chopped banana and skim milk. still, better than a piece of chocolate cake or ice cream. ;P

I trained my lower body.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Yeah. 2000 calories of healthy food is a great place to start for you, I think. Just remember, using junk food to reach the 2,000 calorie mark doesn't count.
    I think you need to give a better example of what's 'healthy.'

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

oh btw guys, since you all seem to be on a diet of sorts, it's important to have a day of the week when you eat more, and i don't mean junk food, i mean more food so that your metabolism doesn't start slowing down.

So if you're on a 1700cal day with training, try a day with a little less training and 2200 cal or something like that.
    Well it depends on your metabolism of course, the more of an endomorph you are the more i'd recommand not to over do that off day.

What else could I say, ah yes, don't eat too much meat at once (no more than 200gr) as the body can only process about 20 grams of protein every 1.5 hours. Otherwise, if you're on a low calory diet it will tend to make you feel tired after a while, and you'll confuse this with hunger/low sugar levels and end up eating more.

And remember, you need energy to exercice. You'll lose more weight on the long term and be healthier by eating that extra snack and have a higher metabolism all day round.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE