• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Wow, this thread is 121 pages now!

Just did my workout tonight. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to try to do some outdoor walking this week.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyone around these parts got some ideas based on what works for them?

Problem: Quit my gym due to a fall out with one of the managers, it was a one of a kind in its approach to fitness, more like a sports institute with very individualised attention and consistent reviews, I've tried normal gyms before and they don't work for me, I'll go for a short period then loose motivation cause I'm not getting feedback or results. Personal training works but is usually exy, I don't want exy.

I want to cover flexibility, toning and cardio. The flex and tone are covered with Pilates but the cardio is what I'm stuck on.

I have a terribly short attention span, I need to be challenged and keep thinking, if exercise doesn't have dynamic change or a high fun factor I won't stick at it. I've looked at a couple of martial arts but they didn't cover enough cardio area as the focus is technique first, I'm going to see if I can find a Muay Thai Kickboxing class but I just wanted to know if anyone (especially you fellow ADD-looking, kinda fickle Ps) has found something with good cardio and mucho interest holding points?

HEEEEEEELP!

Also: Update, have been attending Pilates classes twice each week, as stated above it doesn't feel like enough but it's something, combined with a resumed effort in eating healthier it's making a difference.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I worked out chest and triceps at o' dark thirty this morning. *yawns*

I read about a concept called adherence yesterday. The article recommended making a table (5-6 by 7, 5-6 meals a day, 7 days a week) and then marking an "X" if you ate properly, a "*" if you didn't, and a "0" if you skipped it. Anything below 90% adherence means you can't tell if your lack of success is due to the diet, or failure to adhere to it.

For those that are curious what a "No Sugar, No Flour" diet looks like, yesterday I had:
LUNCH: Tomato basil soup and salad bar at Jason's Deli
SNACK: Garbanzo beans
DINNER: Buffalo burger patty (grilled on this thing, about as good as indoor grilling gets) with provolone. Ate with a Mediterranean Salad. (sliced cucumber + copped tomato + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + salt)

Today
PRE-WORKOUT: Smoothie (1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 cup water, frozen banana, frozen strawberries, vanilla protein powder, Greens+, pecans, rolled oats)
BREAKFAST: Frozen suasage and egg scramble with 1 handful of spinach.

TOTAL
Exercise: 3/3 (It was split up more, but I was actually very active this week)
Eating: good

I'm pretty happy with how I did this week, especially since I was feeling kind of sick for part of it. Also I've realized it might not be possible for me to get in hour-long workouts just because things are getting kind of hectic, so I'm going to try to break it up into smaller workouts that I do every day and larger ones that I do a couple times a week, that way at least I actually get the exercise.

Excellent! Good luck with your change of strategy. Being active in small increments seems pretty smart to me, as it gives you a chance to get into the habit of being active during your free time. Only good things can come of that.

Problem: Quit my gym due to a fall out with one of the managers, it was a one of a kind in its approach to fitness, more like a sports institute with very individualised attention and consistent reviews, I've tried normal gyms before and they don't work for me, I'll go for a short period then loose motivation cause I'm not getting feedback or results. Personal training works but is usually exy, I don't want exy.

I want to cover flexibility, toning and cardio. The flex and tone are covered with Pilates but the cardio is what I'm stuck on.

You can try mixing in some interval training. For some reason, cardio is much more interesting and challenging to me when I vary the rate every few minutes. (Right now, I do 2 minutes of hard cardio with 3 minutes light cardio, for up to 30 minutes. It removes alot of the monotony for me.)

Do you have access to a pool?

How about sports? Tennis is a solid workout if you can find a semi-decent opponent. Soccer, I mean football, is an awesome workout.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Finished up my workout! I did arms (and cardio) today. I've been doing good on my healthy veggie diet. :D I love eating vegetarian, you can feel so full and still know you aren't consuming too much.

So I'm doing some bent arm lateral raises (i think that's what it is) and my shoulders are clicking a little too much for my liking as I'm doing it. Is there anything I can replace that with? I have loose joints in my shoulders. I've been able to move one of them out of the joint since I was a kid. The arm workouts have REALLY been helping but the lateral raises clicking doesn't sound good to me.

It seems like when I would do the rolling shoulders that my physical therapist gave me to do I would get clicking and a LOT more pain so I stopped doing those. It even aggravates my shoulders "injury" so I want to avoid anything that makes my shoulders click. I don't even know what the clicking is. eta: I just looked it up, apparently it's associated with loose shoulders (instability) which I guess isn't a surprise.

I'm trying to get the workout done right away in the morning since that is my mini challenge this week. It's going well!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that despite not having lost any weight on the scale over the past 2 weeks, I can now fit in a pair of pants that I couldn't fit into a few weeks ago.

Anyway:
SNACK: Apple slices with almond butter
LUNCH: 2 vegetarian 'burger' patties. They were kind of blah. I'm going to have to make them more interesting if I want them to become a staple.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
WEight training we had no cardio and circuit training. I challenged myself on the weights to make up for the lack of running.

wolfy

awsm
WEight training we had no cardio and circuit training. I challenged myself on the weights to make up for the lack of running.

Have you ever tried metabolic training with weights?
Circuits, tabata, any stuff like that? Want to know about it?

Here is one example

Tabata is 20 seconds on 10 seconds off done eight times. You can use cardio equipment or weights. One tabata of front squats are you're done like a dinner.

Here is an example of metabolic training for MMA.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I walked to school and did 25 min weight training.

Everything's just as hard as it's always been and I haven't been improving at all. Should I up the amount I exercise?

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Could you say more about what you don't like about normal gyms - individual working on machines or even classes? Here, I go to a gym that has several locations and offers different classes every day. I have some friends who visit the same gym and during a regular week, I plan to meet at least one person for the classes. I like kickboxing and Latin aerobics. Having several options at different locations helps. On a couple other lower motivation days, I find taking a book with me and doing the elliptical works well (fights ADD impulses to get off). I actually enjoy the weight training so no motivation needed there. So, find a workout partner(s) - multiples are better.

Yoga for flexibility? Running group? Dance class? I really LOVE dance based cardio - so much fun and hard work!

Sucks to lose a gym over some idiot. Sorry dudette. Hope you find something else that works well for you.

Report: Just managed a brisk 30 minute walk. Getting back into the swing of things slowly.

Hap -- try doing more cardio. Not more time but more strenuous, run for 30 seconds at a time instead of walking the whole way? Slowly increase the time you spend running. Hang in there. Even if you don't feel the difference, keep at it. :hug:

Udog - I also wore pants I had to put away a year ago. They fit great! :yay: Very noticeable change now and working on more.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hap -- try doing more cardio. Not more time but more strenuous, run for 30 seconds at a time instead of walking the whole way? Slowly increase the time you spend running. Hang in there. Even if you don't feel the difference, keep at it. :hug:

I don't know how well that would work especially considering how wet the sidewalks are now and that I'm lugging around a huge backpack.

If I can feel my heart thudding when I'm doing weights, does that count as cardio?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Sparred a little in Muay Thai today. I was with my buddy who's 39 and has an 11 year old son. He's a crafty old timer. He was poppin me but once I got back into the swing of things I started pushing the action on him pretty well.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know how well that would work especially considering how wet the sidewalks are now and that I'm lugging around a huge backpack.

If I can feel my heart thudding when I'm doing weights, does that count as cardio?

Good point :doh: How about doing some running/ jumping jacks at home every day to supplement the walking? Even putting music on loud and just jumping around/dancing is a good supplement.

No, heart thudding while doing weights is not desirable, I think. You may need to reduce the pounds . I'm not an expert here, Wolfy?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Good point :doh: How about doing some running/ jumping jacks at home every day to supplement the walking? Even putting music on loud and just jumping around/dancing is a good supplement.

No, heart thudding while doing weights is not desirable, I think. You may need to reduce the pounds . I'm not an expert here, Wolfy?

Dancing sounds good, I can definitely do that tomorrow. :)

Uh. I don't know how to reduce the pounds when they're on my body.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Dancing sounds good, I can definitely do that tomorrow. :)

Cool!

Uh. I don't know how to reduce the pounds when they're on my body.

:rofl1: That's not what I meant! I wanted to say reduce the level of weights you are using if the heart pounding is bad. If you're doing weights with dumbells - use smaller ones. If using machines, reduce the pounds you are lifting. You should definitely feel the resistance the weights offers and it should be challenging, that's good but I don't know if heart pounding is a good idea. I'd ask Wolfy or one of the others who may be pros.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
:rofl1: That's not what I meant! I wanted to say reduce the level of weights you are using if the heart pounding is bad. If you're doing weights with dumbells - use smaller ones. If using machines, reduce the pounds you are lifting. You should definitely feel the resistance the weights offers and it should be challenging, that's good but I don't know if heart pounding is a good idea. I'd ask Wolfy or one of the others who may be pros.

But that is what I meant. Because of limited resources in gym class a lot of weight training is done using body weight as resistance, and I'm carrying about 50lbs more than most girls in that class.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
But that is what I meant. Because of limited resources in gym class a lot of weight training is done using body weight as resistance, and I'm carrying about 50lbs more than most girls in that class.

Got it. That's a tough one - I imagine you don't have much control over what's done in gym class. How often do you have to do weight training at school?