User Tag List

First 545535455565765105155 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    4 weeks is enough time to possibly notice a weight change.

4 weeks is enough time to notice increased strength - that actually requires about 2 weeks, and after that muscle size may slowly start to increase. However, we've already talked about how your technique (and lack of proper instruction from your teachers!) may have been keeping you from seeing results there. I wouldn't even count the time spent before you started making adjustments.

I don't know anything about improving balance - that's completely out of my league. Sorry. :\

What is causing you to lose your balance? Is your head spinning or anything like that?
    I just jump and I don't re-balance.

I really don't know. I DO know that I've had a lot of ear infections over the years, and I've heard that can cause problems...

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Haphazard, strength wise it's difficult for me to notice anything until a longer time passes. I've been recently worried about my weight as well, and I didn't notice any changes until I started watching what I ate as well as exercising. If you live a very active lifestyle, you don't need to worry so much about what you eat, but for us that live normal ones diet will be an essential key to noticing weight loss. Also, I'd recommend whatever strength training you're doing to be alternating - One day Less repititions and more weight, and the next the opposite. This will build both endurance and strength. I also recommend working out until muscle failure with strength training, instead of doing repetitions. When you count, you're putting a limit on what you're muscles are capable of. So I'd just test your abilities, record them, and then don't count while you exercise for a week or so. Then come back and test them again and see how you've progressed.

Balance issues can stem a lot from a lack of strengthened core muscles - your abdominals and the muscles in your legs.

Increased abdominal work will help, and working with those huge bouncy-balls will help with balance issues too as they force the muscles that control balance to work. In aerobics class, the instructor said she can always tell who has a strengthened core by the amount of balance people have when they first get on one of those big execise balls.

I would also incorporate lunge work into your walking to help with your legs. They're easily done, hurt fast, and are god-sends for building up leg muscles and they also force you to work out the muscles that control balance in the legs. Like, lunge to a light pole or something, then walk to recover and do it again. Or maybe when you get to a light pole, do 10 pendulum lunges (where your right foot is stationary and your left foot lunges forward.. comes back to the standing position.. then lunges backwards, and goes back to the standing position again.) and then walk to the next light pole and do the other leg.
    I really don't have much control over my weight routine because of school.

What's a lunge? Sounds painful.

I've never learned how to ride a bike... because I could never balance well enough to do it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Trying to totally derail here:

I'm considering joining a gym but I don't know how to pick one. Or what to even do once I get there. I've worked out over the years but never in a gym.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Gyms are overwhelming and confusing.. But if you look up some routines online and print them out, you can walk in with an idea of what you like to do. Or try circuit training on all the machines and see which ones you enjoy. (circuit training is essentially get on a machine, figure it out, and do it for a minute straight, then switch to the next machine and do that one for a minute.. etc.)

To haphazard: A lunge is essentially where you stand hip-width apart (your legs) with your back pretty much straight, chin up. You take an exaggerated step forward, bending at the knees, until your knees form 90 degree angles (your thigh should be just about parallel to the floor. An easy way of knowing is when your back knee is just about to tap the floor.) without extending your knee over your toes. You then force yourself back up into the standing position using the strength in your legs.

Ear problems can throw off your balance I've heard, but if you cannot ride a bike an easy way to replace that is to lay on your back, and prop your hips up into the air with your hands and bicycle in the air. Or you can scissor your legs while on the ground.

Sitting cross-legged style and laying back and doing crunches will work out lower abdominal muscles as well. There are all kinds of ab work you can do that requires absolutely no balance ^_^
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

A1 BB Standing shoulder press worked up to 57.5 for 3

B1 Incline DB press 30 3x10
    B2 DB row 30 3x12

C1 DB Shoulder press
    C2 DB curls
    C3 DB extension

20 min elliptical.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I just jump and I don't re-balance.

I really don't know. I DO know that I've had a lot of ear infections over the years, and I've heard that can cause problems...
    Hap, the ear infection thing CAN make a difference. There could be other things going on, though. This is something that may be doctor worthy.

I agree with Kyuuei's advice on core strength and balance. Also, if you don't see ANY results after 4 weeks, it may be time to make some small adjustments. This is why I'm curious what your long term goals are, because we can then analyze what you do to see what may and may not be leading you towards them. It's possible you just need more time, and it's possible that you may need to make some (possibly minor) adjustments.

Here's a good video of how to do lunges: YouTube - The 'Right' Way to Do Lunges. The stuff about vertical movement in your torso is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Trying to totally derail here:

I'm considering joining a gym but I don't know how to pick one. Or what to even do once I get there. I've worked out over the years but never in a gym.
    I don't have any expert advice on gyms, but the thing to do is check out a couple of local gyms in your area. They'll give you a tour and explain what they offer. I *think* $30-$45 per month is a pretty standard rate, and the rates are generally negotiable. Be careful though, some gyms really try to screw you over with 'lifetime memberships', high entrance fees, and whatnot. Bally's was notorious for those kind of practices, so be especially careful with them.

I liked this article: How to Find a Gym

As for routine - it really depends on what your goals are and what is available at your gym. We'll be happy to help you create a routine if you figure out what kind of gym you want to go to.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Time for my weekly drop in: yep. I have been doing all of what I am supposed to do. I only skipped one day.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I worked out today.

That makes a full week with no cheats

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Time for my weekly drop in: yep. I have been doing all of what I am supposed to do. I only skipped one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I worked out today.

That makes a full week with no cheats
    News like this makes my heart siiiiiing.

Good job, guys!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Hap, the ear infection thing CAN make a difference. There could be other things going on, though. This is something that may be doctor worthy.

I agree with Kyuuei's advice on core strength and balance. Also, if you don't see ANY results after 4 weeks, it may be time to make some small adjustments. This is why I'm curious what your long term goals are, because we can then analyze what you do to see what may and may not be leading you towards them. It's possible you just need more time, and it's possible that you may need to make some (possibly minor) adjustments.

Here's a good video of how to do lunges: YouTube - The 'Right' Way to Do Lunges. The stuff about vertical movement in your torso is very important.
    My goal?

My end goal is to get strong enough to do my own heavy lifting. Right now, I just want to pass this class.

I'm pretty sure the balance issues are just because I'm too fat to do what the teacher is asking for.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    My end goal is to get strong enough to do my own heavy lifting. Right now, I just want to pass this class.
    Weight training is an excellent way to lose weight for a variety of reasons.

So your routine, as I understand it:
    .8 mile to work with 10-30 pound backpack.
    Exercise class @ school - varies day to day

Does that sum it up?

What type of exercises do you do in the class? Can you tell us a bit about a week in the exercise class?