User Tag List

First 3644454647485696146 Last

MBTI
    INTP

That sounds like a perfect solution, cafe! The little glass bottles will make it feel more like a treat, too!

Good day today--ate leftover pasta, plus squash, broccoli and avocado for lunch, and made myself a spectacular omelette (2 egg white/1 egg, shrimp, asparagus, fresh mushrooms, onion, green onion, spinach) for dinner. Having a Virgin Mary for evening snack as I type. Going to take off exercise-wise today. I've met my goal, and I need to grade some journals tonight.
    Something Witty

I'm keeping up with my five times a week schedule, but I'm starting to get a little bit of pain at the front of my shins and in my left heel when I'm on the treadmill for a while. It's nothing that's like OMG HURT, but it's definitely discomfort. Could this be shin splints (which I have no idea what they are)? It's not enough that I'm going to cut down my schedule, but it's enough that I think about it.

Also, as far as treadmills go, I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What increases the cardio benefit more...the speed of the treadmill, the uphill angle, or the length of time?

Thanks!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

my ankles are killing me from my 3 mile walk today! in the rain.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm keeping up with my five times a week schedule, but I'm starting to get a little bit of pain at the front of my shins and in my left heel when I'm on the treadmill for a while. It's nothing that's like OMG HURT, but it's definitely discomfort. Could this be shin splints (which I have no idea what they are)? It's not enough that I'm going to cut down my schedule, but it's enough that I think about it.
    I've had mucho problems with shin splints in the past, it's painful, annoying and without a quick fix, if the pain - might be a tingling kinda feeling and/or a numb painful feeling that is accentuated if you firmly run your fingers down your shins, I don't know shit about human biology but you should be able to feel the inflammation in between the nobbly thingo bits - if that's there and continues to progressively get worse then chances are good you have a problem.

I'm no expert but the shins combined with the heel soreness scream warning bells that your footwear is not giving proper support for your running style. Most people who work in athletic shops take the job cause they don't have to clean up the restroom after a customer throws up like they do at McDonalds, they don't know what they're talking about so they won't be able to fix that for you.

Shin splints only get better by not doing anything, I guess this would have a rather negative effect on your exercise regime so if it gets worse I strongly suggest going to see a podiatrist and having them check your feet and what happens when you walk/run so they can see if there are any problems and recommend what athletic shoes would give you proper support.

Otherwise, treadmills (and running in general) is one of the harshest things on your feet and legs, ecliptical machines are better as there's no jarring action, if you can use them instead or something similar I highly recommend it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I'm glad they are feeling better. I'm wondering if the joints are just not used to the physical exertion. If that's the case, they'll get better as you continue on.

Although I do hope you are resting them over the weekend. Giving them a chance to rest is very important.
    oops.

I'll... take a break today, then.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Also, as far as treadmills go, I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What increases the cardio benefit more...the speed of the treadmill, the uphill angle, or the length of time?

Thanks!
    All of the above. Here is an awesome article on cardio progressions. Cardio Progressions.

Also here is a very good article on how to organise your training best for fat loss. These rules apply for training in general too.The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Workout:

60 minutes elliptical level 12-13 random (10 second intervals), 5 minutes cool down level 6 manual, 8.5 km, 915 kcal

60 minutes stepper fat burner level 5-6 (1 minute intervals), 5 minutes cool down level 1 manual, about 7 km (can't remember exactly), 212 flights, 407 kcal

Calories burned: about 1300

Calories consumed today: about 1500

Later on, I will do some ironing and cleaning (I hope!). So that probably counts as well....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Thanks!
    I agree with Trinity. Especially this \/

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Otherwise, treadmills (and running in general) is one of the harshest things on your feet and legs, elliptical machines are better as there's no jarring action, if you can use them instead or something similar I highly recommend it.
    That may give your shins some relief without having to sacrifice your exercise routine. If you've never been on an elliptical before it might be a bit weird at first, but you should learn quickly.

Another note about treadmills: The belt you walk on is powered, so walking/jogging on them is easier than walking in real life. Setting it to a 1% incline or higher will help compensate for that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    my ankles are killing me from my 3 mile walk today! in the rain.
    In the rain!? That actually sounds kind of fun. I hope you also take a well deserved break.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    oops.

I'll... take a break today, then.
    Enjoy it; you've earned it and then some. Remember, without the breaks you aren't exercising - you are just physically punishing your body.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    All of the above. Here is an awesome article on cardio progressions. Cardio Progressions.
    That's a pretty good article. (I worry it may have a bit too much jargon to those that haven't been studying this stuff for awhile.) Basically it seems to talk about 3 forms of progression, and they are all valuable:

1. Increase the time you spend doing cardio.
    2. Increase the intensity by either increasing the incline, level, or speed.
    3. This one was new to me! Increase your load via weight vest.
    This strategy is especially useful during periods of weight loss. Technically, rather than actually loading your cardio, you're actually replacing the load that you've lost. And this is a huge asset as the same amount of cardio, once you've lost weight, is much less effective.

After all, 30 minutes of walking done four times per week at 200 pounds is more calorie-costly vs. 30 minutes of walking done four times per week at 185 dieted-down pounds. So why not walk at 200 pounds for a few weeks, then 210 pounds, and so on ó regardless of how much body weight you're carrying?

I love that last point, because it partially explains why so many people see great results early on and then stagnate. They lose weight, so that 30 minute cardio exercise isn't as difficult as it was 1 month ago! Combine that with lower weight = lower basal metabolism, and you have 2 challenges that must be overcome if someone wishes to continue losing weight over a period of time.

Also here is a very good article on how to organise your training best for fat loss. These rules apply for training in general too.The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove
    This article was really good as well. We need to bookmark this one for later, as it offers alot of good recommendations for those that can't seem to lose fat.
    You'll notice that this is perhaps the opposite recommendations from what you typically read in the mainstream media. Usually fat loss recommendations start with low intensity aerobics, progress to high intensity aerobics, then intervals. Finally, when you're "in shape" they recommend resistance training.

Here is what I am doing right now:

1. Improved diet.
    2. Resistance Training. (Weight lifting. Increases lean mass, which in turn increases metabolism. By building some muscle, I burn more calories sitting around doing nothing.)
    3. Moderate cardio. Elliptical and Arc Trainer.

That's really cool that some exercises can increase your metabolism for up to 38 hours after you've finished them. I'll need to look into that when I'm ready to optimize a bit.

Wolfy: Do you have any good articles on High Intensity Anaerobic Interval Training?

MBTI
    INTP

I think I've lost a couple of pounds--don't have a scale, don't want one, but I can look at myself and tell it's coming off my lower half. Yay! Motivation to continue. I feel a lot better than I did a couple of weeks ago, mainly b/c I've cut WAY down on sugar and preservatives, and I'm eating more fruits, veggies and healthy protein. Also being more diligent about vitamins and supplements.
    Something Witty