• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

MBTI Type
INTJ
Bad week.

I used two cheat days. Work is out of control and a friend was unexpectedly in from out of town. Weight is no change, so after three weeks I'm -8 pounds. Did increase pushups from 10 to 20 in my workout, so that's something.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Glad you got finished. What type of progressing are you looking for?

I find that 3 weeks of no progress does indicate it's time to shake things up a bit. :yes:

I don't really have a set goal. Just improvement in general. Tonight I'm going to lighten the weight but do a bunch more reps and see what happens.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Completed another week. I used one cheat day because I had a very busy week.
Right noww I'm at the gym working out !!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
1.675 mi 30 min 170 bpm

Why is it so much more difficult to walk on a track than on the sidewalk?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Bad week.

I used two cheat days. Work is out of control and a friend was unexpectedly in from out of town. Weight is no change, so after three weeks I'm -8 pounds. Did increase pushups from 10 to 20 in my workout, so that's something.

That is awesome! :hug:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sorry about the AWOL-ness, jet lag killed me last week, and I used two cheat days. :( Oh well, a bad week means lots of room for improvement this week.

Today: 110 min hike (yay!)- I am ridiculously out of shape from summer/vacation, but it felt good to be outside and stuff. The weather's cooling down and I started classes again today, so I'm going to try and stay calm and collected and channel my everyday frustrations into exercise energy. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to take a dance class this quarter.

Has anyone done tai chi? Pilates?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, oh, oh Udog - all goals completed for last week, just under the wire. Sorry for the late notice!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did my gym for today... I took a 5 hour "nap". Looks like I'll be up all night again! :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have noticably more energy and stamina. I'm down only two pounds but that included a PMS week with preschool fundraising chocolate bars in the house. (Just don't even ask for a number.) My clothes are fitting better. I'm actually just happy I'm building muscle, that's what I really need. I really want to do something other than stationary biking but I don't know what to do!

Elliptical and stair master are highly recommended. The treadmill is good as well.

If you look into a gym, you can always try and find one with a decent circuit of machines that work various muscles. That's a good place to start resistance training, although you will want to integrate free weights into your program da sooner da better.

Bad week.

Hey, don't forget there is a vacation clause for special occasions. I'm pretty sure everyone is okay with the fact that real life will occasionally come before exercise, and that will not always be a cheat.

Also, congrats on the 8 pounds! I officially weigh in tomorrow, but considering that my dinner the past 4 nights has been pretty bad, I'm not sure if I'll have much to brag about.

I don't really have a set goal. Just improvement in general. Tonight I'm going to lighten the weight but do a bunch more reps and see what happens.

Sounds good. I think 12-15 (with you really feeling it by number 15) reps is a good compromise between muscle building and fat burning.

As for diet, if it helps, pick ONE thing to change, and stick with it. Too many changes at once will result in failure. I know this from recent personal experience. It took me about 3 tries to get my dietary changes into place, and I'm still not where I want to be. (But I've made alot of progress in the attempts.)

1.675 mi 30 min 170 bpm

Why is it so much more difficult to walk on a track than on the sidewalk?

There could be lots of reasons.

Physical:
* The sidewalk path may have a net decrease in elevation, whereas the track is flat.
* You maintain a more steady pace on the track - perhaps your speed changes more frequently on the sidewalk.
* The time of the exercise. Morning sidewalk venture vs afternoon track.
* Tracks almost never have a good breeze, and they are hot, so that can wear on you. Sidewalks are more likely to have a open breeze to cool you off, at least in places.

Psychological:
* The track is just a loop. BORING. The sidewalk offers more variety which may offer distraction for the mind.
* Goals are deilinated by "1 lap, 2 lap", instead of unique landmarks.
* The circumstances - who are you are with - are different on the track, and less enjoyable.

That's a very serious answer to a rhetorical question. :laugh:

Today: 110 min hike (yay!)- I am ridiculously out of shape from summer/vacation, but it felt good to be outside and stuff. The weather's cooling down and I started classes again today, so I'm going to try and stay calm and collected and channel my everyday frustrations into exercise energy. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to take a dance class this quarter.

Hey, I'm just happy you are still with us! Now that you made the physical transition back to school, things should get a bit easier. And I LOVE (with a fiery Fi passion) your strategy of focusing frustration into exercise! :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
WEEK 4: 4 weeks of exercise is better than 3 weeks of exercise

Oh, I guess I should go ahead and post the week's results, shouldn't I?

Week 3 is an important week, as it's often the week people start losing that initial burst of momentum and their bodies start feeling a bit drained. As such, week 3 is a pretty natural place to start using cheats. We gotta pace ourselves for the long haul, and we do that by taking breaks! :D

It's also been really, really great hearing about everyone's exercises. You guys have been very inspirational!

(Blah blah blah, I guess I should just shut up already and post the report, huh?)

Code:
Name		Cheats 
Antimony	10
Blackcat	10
café		10
Clonester	9
Colors		8
EffEmDoubleyou	8
Elaur		9
ergophobe	9
Feops		10
Fidelia		9
Jeffster	10
kelric		10
Kyuuei		9
ladypinkington	10
PinkPiranha	10
Santtu		10
ScantilyClad	9
Tallulah	10
Trinity		10
Udog		9
Winged		9
Wolfy		10

* Includes those that have reported vacations, injuries, and sickness.

People who I haven't heard from - I've included what information I do know:
Little Linguist
poppy

You know the drill - if I missed something or if you completed your goals, please let us know!

Good luck in Week 4, everyone. We are almost done with the first month. :)

Last edited:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
There could be lots of reasons.

Physical:
* The sidewalk path may have a net decrease in elevation, whereas the track is flat.
* You maintain a more steady pace on the track - perhaps your speed changes more frequently on the sidewalk.
* The time of the exercise. Morning sidewalk venture vs afternoon track.
* Tracks almost never have a good breeze, and they are hot, so that can wear on you. Sidewalks are more likely to have a open breeze to cool you off, at least in places.

Psychological:
* The track is just a loop. BORING. The sidewalk offers more variety which may offer distraction for the mind.
* Goals are deilinated by "1 lap, 2 lap", instead of unique landmarks.
* The circumstances - who are you are with - are different on the track, and less enjoyable.

That's a very serious answer to a rhetorical question. :laugh:

Yes, I was thinking about that, trying to figure out why 2 miles is less tiring than 1.5 miles at, by time, about the same speed.

the ~2mi route is very hilly, and I go there and back, so there wouldn't be any net increase or decrease in elevation, and I usually walk that in the afternoon. :/

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I was thinking about that, trying to figure out why 2 miles is less tiring than 1.5 miles at, by time, about the same speed.

the ~2mi route is very hilly, and I go there and back, so there wouldn't be any net increase or decrease in elevation, and I usually walk that in the afternoon. :/

Could you just be having more fun on the mountain side walk? I know I would.

Also, the hills sort of emulate a form of interval training (higher effort followed by lower effort), which is often more work while feeling easier. That's part of the reason interval training can be so effective.

:cry: I dislike seeing that 9 by my name.. Oh well! :D!

Well, you can always use a few more cheats to get rid of it. :devil:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eeee, I never came back to describe my first Krav class, it was coooool! :) they're gonna teach me how to beat people up and rip their heart oudda their chest... coooooool!

I'm going to have to find something else more cardio intensive as well though.

That's all.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Used one cheat today. :cry:

For better accountability, I'll be reporting each day's results, likely in a single post at the end of the week. I'm traveling every weekend for the next 3 weeks but will do the equivalent of my cardio, example - brisk walking for a minimum of an hour, wherever I am.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
4-5 hours of moving things out of my flooded basement. I'd say that counts as a workout. :D

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
People who I haven't heard from - I've included what information I do know:
Clonester
ergophobe: On track as of Saturday
Little Linguist
poppy
Tallulah: Thur - 3 mile cardio.

You know the drill - if I missed something or if you completed your goals, please let us know!

Good luck in Week 4, everyone. We are almost done with the first month. :)

Honestly, I didn't keep track this week--I don't know if I need a cheat or not!

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Week 3 is an important week, as it's often the week people start losing that initial burst of momentum and their bodies start feeling a bit drained. As such, week 3 is a pretty natural place to start using cheats. We gotta pace ourselves for the long haul, and we do that by taking breaks! :D

*whistles innocently*

One cheat day used last week, by the by. :coffee: