User Tag List

First 159209249257258259260261269309 Last

Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 3324

MBTI
    ENFJ

Let's put it this way: if water were liquor, I'd be dead several hundred times over.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I've determined that I hate the activity portion of my Applied Modern Health class.
    The activity portion seems so completely disjointed from the lecture. We discuss target heart rate, exercise injuries, and personal wellness. Then there is no assessment of our fitness levels and we're expected to do better than average in the activities.

I don't like the prospect of pushing my heartrate over 180 so I can get a C in that aspect of the course. It's disheartening and it affects that little person wellness thing discussed in lecture.
    Then I also don't want to be the fattie that complains they can't do it, because that's no fun either.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm the fattie that can't do anything.

I'm afraid that the government is going to come after me for this.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    I've determined that I hate the activity portion of my Applied Modern Health class.
    The activity portion seems so completely disjointed from the lecture. We discuss target heart rate, exercise injuries, and personal wellness. Then there is no assessment of our fitness levels and we're expected to do better than average in the activities.

I don't like the prospect of pushing my heartrate over 180 so I can get a C in that aspect of the course. It's disheartening and it affects that little person wellness thing discussed in lecture.
    Then I also don't want to be the fattie that complains they can't do it, because that's no fun either.
    They are pushing you to the border of your MAXIMUM heart rate just to get a high grade? Is this as an "interval" exercise - say for 30 seconds or so - or do they expect you to sustain this?

Perhaps you should ask why the class isn't doing a physical assessment of everyone before determining their requirements for a grade. It should be a sliding scale, afterall.

Assessment is an important part of starting a major physical exercise. Both of current health levels AND desired health levels. I wouldn't even think about getting a trainer that didn't have a good assessment phase before creating a workout for me, and I can't believe a college class is skipping this.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    They are pushing you to the border of your MAXIMUM heart rate just to get a high grade? Is this as an "interval" exercise - say for 30 seconds or so - or do they expect you to sustain this?

Perhaps you should ask why the class isn't doing a physical assessment of everyone before determining their requirements for a grade. It should be a sliding scale, afterall.

Assessment is an important part of starting a major physical exercise. Both of current health levels AND desired health levels. I wouldn't even think about getting a trainer that didn't have a good assessment phase before creating a workout for me, and I can't believe a college class is skipping this.
    My heart rate specifically jumps through the roof very quickly. Basically, to get a low B, we need to either walk 1.5 miles in 20min, run 1.5 miles in 10min, or jog 2 miles without a limit, but without walking.
    While this isn't anything insane, I think it's still 'more than average' in a short timeframe. We only meet once a week and have four more weeks to get to that level (or better) before we move to some indoor activities.

Doesn't help that I rarely powerwalk or jog and have practically never run in my life . If I was asked to Zumba for an hour I could tear that up! I'll just have to make time to practice around my neighborhood and maybe inform the professor that at least one student actually gives a damn about the class and health

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENFJ

1.5 mi in 20 minutes isn't too difficult as long as you don't have a backpack or anything and it's not a gajillion degrees. Trust me on this one.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think about trying yoga again for a minute and my shoulder starts acting up.

Sigh.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

My heart rate specifically jumps through the roof very quickly. Basically, to get a low B, we need to either walk 1.5 miles in 20min, run 1.5 miles in 10min, or jog 2 miles without a limit, but without walking.
    While this isn't anything insane, I think it's still 'more than average' in a short timeframe. We only meet once a week and have four more weeks to get to that level (or better) before we move to some indoor activities.

Doesn't help that I rarely powerwalk or jog and have practically never run in my life . If I was asked to Zumba for an hour I could tear that up! I'll just have to make time to practice around my neighborhood and maybe inform the professor that at least one student actually gives a damn about the class and health
    Yeah. Jogging is pretty rough on the body, so increasing running distance and intensity too quickly is actually somewhat dangerous. It's what lead to my knee problems.

If he's reasonable, you may be able to work out an an agreement where effort and improvement are the factors of your grade. It sort of depends on if the class is adhering to a state or national standard, like an extension to the Physical Fitness Testing program I had to deal with back in high school.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Yeah. Jogging is pretty rough on the body, so increasing running distance and intensity too quickly is actually somewhat dangerous. It's what lead to my knee problems.

If he's reasonable, you may be able to work out an an agreement where effort and improvement are the factors of your grade. It sort of depends on if the class is adhering to a state or national standard, like an extension to the Physical Fitness Testing program I had to deal with back in high school.
    True. If I have excessive trouble after some practice and next week, I'll bring it up to him. We have a "Personal Assessment Book" which has the time guidelines, grades, and some time alterations based on age. He follows that, but I'm not sure how strictly.

A big part for me is that I don't like any aspect of being active or healthier to get me to the point of being upset while I am making a decent attempt. It's what I view as completely counterproductive, especially since I rarely am openly bothered. I was definitely getting upset yesterday and although I didn't quit walking I didn't feel good about it in the slightest.
    I also don't like admitting defeat and saying "Hey, I'm that person here", but self-respect has to play its part too. @_@

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

A big part for me is that I don't like any aspect of being active or healthier to get me to the point of being upset while I am making a decent attempt. It's what I view as completely counterproductive, especially since I rarely am openly bothered. I was definitely getting upset yesterday and although I didn't quit walking I didn't feel good about it in the slightest.
    Situations like this are definitely not good for the long term. You can only put yourself in that type of situation for so long before it becomes too much.

You may want to talk to your professor sooner simply to get your voice heard, although waiting to request any change seems fair enough to me. Good luck!