User Tag List

First 1523242526273575125 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    (However, I noticed one weight machine for back, abs and squats uses NEWTON - what the eff is that? - not kilos :steam: so had to change my record; everything else was accurate and in kilos.)[/B]
    *Takes out amateur physics student glasses* A newton is a unit of force (a kilogram is a unit of mass) equalling 1 kg*m per second squared. So I guess the machine is being more exact (but it doesn't really matter if you use force units or mass units when you stay on this same planet at the same altitude). But basically, "on Earth's surface, a mass of 1 kg exerts a force of approximately 9.80665 N". So yeah, it's the same.

Hah, finally something I semi-know about in this thread. Not calories or food groups and muscle groups and stuff. Also, Little Linguist, reading about your "lazy" days makes me sleepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    If I haven't already said something, I am impressed by the way you are not letting vacation be an excuse to not work out.
    You have, but I never turn down a compliment! Actually, I think it is somewhat easier to exercise when I'm away- fewer distractions I think, and no school and work! I mean, I will be very glad if I can keep up my current pace when I start classes again, although then I will have dance class and that will make me less stiff in all the joints.

What is much harder is the figuring out the eating. I'm starting to feel a bit like Hansel, being fattened up by all my gracious hosts: if we're outside it's ice cream (or coffee, but it is so sour!) and if it's inside it's cakes and bars and juice flowing. But it is all delicious so I hope to maybe do a little exercise later.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    it hurts.

I went to a college campus for 3 months and chose to drink regular coke in the cafeteria instead of diet. Now I can't drink diet coke -- given a choice between diet coke and iced tea I'd pick the tea, dammit.

I gained a bit of weight but I guess that means less cancer?

I guess now I'm also a bit more aware of my soda consumption because back when I drank diet I would drink it like water.
    I can't say I'm that attached to soda, but if you don't like diet soda (and it's weird aftertastes, maybe drinking something like fizzy water helps?). I'm all about food texture, so the fizzy-ness is most of the appeal of soda for me. (Though I have a big weakness for juice and those fancy Izzy sodas like the one you posted are like crack. Especially the clementine flavor one. Luckily I also think thez are ridiculously expensive so only drink them when I am stuck at Starbucks from locking myself out of the house.)

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    *Takes out amateur physics student glasses* A newton is a unit of force (a kilogram is a unit of mass) equalling 1 kg*m per second squared. So I guess the machine is being more exact (but it doesn't really matter if you use force units or mass units when you stay on this same planet at the same altitude). But basically, "on Earth's surface, a mass of 1 kg exerts a force of approximately 9.80665 N". So yeah, it's the same.
    OMG That means 100 N is only 10 kg. Awww. Well, there's always room for improvement.

Hehe, well if reading about my lazy days makes you sleepy, then read about my active ones! There are plenty of them, too!

By the way, how are you enjoying life in Germany so far?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I like it! Now I'm in Springe (outside of Hannover) and I love it here (it's more my pace, really but very rainy). I'm a little disappointed to learn people only wear liederhosen in Southern Germany. My cousin's music-themed wedding is in 3 hours, so I should be getting ready and practicing the Brahms piece and mangling all the "cht" sounds in "nacht". German consonants are so hard for me!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Busy day on Friday, so just finally posting.

We go to Sam's after husband gets off work on Fridays, so no evening walk.

Crunches done.

Vegetation eaten.

Only one serving of soda.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ You've been pretty consistent I definitely pigged out at dnd night tonight >.>
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Welcome! Glad you decided to join us.

Have you thought about what you wish to do on a weekly basis? Also, I hope you are feeling better soon. Let us know when you are ready to enter the fray.
    Thanks! I've wanted to start this for months now, with many failed starts.

That kind of exercise goal needs a steady increase in running, a bit in cycling, other exercises can be done about once per week the whole time.

Running:
    Starting from 1 hr/week in three parts in September, I'll gradually increase to 6-7hr/week in October in 4-5 parts, with a mix of short, medium and long distances.

The longest time ran at a time will increase from 30 min to 2h or more. I'll throw in some short and quick runs (half a mile, kilometer, something like that) to develop speed.

From then on, I'll maintain 6-7 hr a week, with my longest lap increasing from 20km (14mi) to 33km (20.5mi), maintaining speed in the range of 9,5-11km/hr.

Cycling:
    Starting from around September 20th, to as long as the weather allows, I'll do cycling exercises for 1 hr a week. I'll move to an inside exercise bike when needed. Plus, I'll do most of my trips to work, hobbies, etc. on bike, adding about 2hr of light to moderate cycling per week. It's about as fast as going by bus.

Swimming:
    Starting from September 14th, 2-3 times swimming per month. I'll increase the distance swam from 400m (quarter mile) to about two miles (3200m) gradually in 6 months. I'll mix in quick exercises, longest distance swam in 12minutes, fastest time to complete 50m.

Workout:
    Starting from September 18th or so, about 5-6 times a month. For the first few times, I'll fit in my entire exercise plan in one go .. about 15-17 body movements, then dividing it in half. I'll exercise for about 45min-60min at a time, doing two sets of 8-12 reps each exercise, with close to the maximum weight possible to endure the whole hour. Sometimes I'll change my exercise plan to ensure steady development.

My main challenge:
    Giving up most of the unhealthy food I eat and the alcohol I drink to allow for all this. I've done something like this before, just not in the intensity I'm planning. I'd have to start liking exercise more than evenings at the bar with my friends, delicious fatty food with my loved one and a bag of potato chips now and then. Of course I'll do some other nice things with my people, just not eat and drink too much. I think it's just about to happen. I'll give it a little push and it'll roll in the way of exercise and healthier eating and drinking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Santtu, glad you joined us, that's awesome!!!

Quick review:

Caloric intake: 1200 kcal

Workout (endurance training, not strength training, so it was about heart rate and duration, not high levels and lots of resistance):

30 minutes stepper, level 6-7, heart rate 135-145
    30 minutes stepper, level 4, heart rate 125-135

Totals: 210 flights, 7.01 km, 390 kcal

60 minutes elliptical, level 12, random setting, heart rate 135-145
    5 minutes elliptical, level 6, cool-down setting, heart rate about 125

Totals: 8.13 km, 826 kcal

2 rounds of sauna:

- 1 round of organic sauna, 60 degrees, 25 minutes
    - 1 round of Aufguss sauna, 95 degrees, 15 minutes

And now, I'm just a bit tired.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yesterday - ate veggies, drank water, no real exercise except a lot of walking at work. Have resisted Coke for a week now.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    What is much harder is the figuring out the eating. I'm starting to feel a bit like Hansel, being fattened up by all my gracious hosts: if we're outside it's ice cream (or coffee, but it is so sour!) and if it's inside it's cakes and bars and juice flowing. But it is all delicious so I hope to maybe do a little exercise later.
    2 weeks of vacation won't make or break you, so I wouldn't worry about it. What tends to kill people is that the vacation causes them to break the healthy habits they have gotten into, and they never resume their diets and exercises when they get back.

Nov/Dec/early Jan will be very interesting times for this thread. I expect alot of vacations, and we will need to figure out ways to make sure everyone gets back into exercising and eating after the holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Thanks! I've wanted to start this for months now, with many failed starts.

That kind of exercise goal needs a steady increase in running, a bit in cycling, other exercises can be done about once per week the whole time.
    That's impressively detailed. I have heard that the more detailed you envision the goals, the more likely you are to fulfill them. Although, if it gets to be too complex, don't be afraid to simplify them a bit.

Here is what I have you down for:

Run 3x a week for a total of 1 hour.
    Sept 21 Bicycle 1 hour a week.
    Sept 21 Workout (Do you mean weightlifting?) 1x per week.

I'll add the rest in once we get there.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Yes, weights but I don't have english names for all the exercises I'll be doing with the weights. Some with free weights, some with machines.

Thank you for noticing.

And yes, less than once/week swimming. Then again, there's a local gym just 100m from my house (ohhoh!) having both a gym and a swimming hall
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]