Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Hey, I'm totally game for another NYC meetup - the last one was pretty fun. Plus, I didn't even get to finish playing stupid tourist in Manhattan.

Ah... gotta love college. Just be sure to find time to fit workouts in between classes. Or you could always bring your equipment to class and workout in the back. It'll be like watching TV during exercise...

As far as my health speed bump, I'm 99% better. Thanks for asking. I can workout again, which is the main thing. Not being able to do much of anything for 6 weeks sucked.

Wait, so I have to choose between watching fun things in Zumba class and the opportunity to taunt women that think they can beat me up? Oh man, this is an impossible decision you lay before me! How will I ever choose?

Oh, and thanks for the description.
    Yea another should be aimed for. Maybe more hotel collaboration or something too. Transportation out of NYC stops too early, imo.
    The awesome thing about my schedule is that I factored in Zumba. I was so excited about that. I can make a class every day if i have the stamina. Also, I'm studying Exercise Science, so I get to take activity courses . I chose International Folk Dance and Applied Modern Health (walking,running,swimming) on Wednesdays of this semester.
    Definitely glad to hear you're doing better. Props for manning those 6 weeks lol. I get withdrawals after a few days now, I can't even imagine.

I youtubed Turbokick after I posted. That class looks like it'd make most humans curl into a ball on the floor mid-session. Zumba ladies are far nicer, but go where your stamina takes you!
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENFJ

Ugh, it turns out I'm sick again (I went to the doctor's for back pain similar to an infection I had earlier in the summer, and it turns out, the same sort of infection was brewing), and the antibiotic they gave me makes me tired and more sensitive to sunlight.

Again, ugh. Might take the rest of the week off or something.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    Yea another should be aimed for. Maybe more hotel collaboration or something too. Transportation out of NYC stops too early, imo.
    The awesome thing about my schedule is that I factored in Zumba. I was so excited about that. I can make a class every day if i have the stamina. Also, I'm studying Exercise Science, so I get to take activity courses . I chose International Folk Dance and Applied Modern Health (walking,running,swimming) on Wednesdays of this semester.
    Definitely glad to hear you're doing better. Props for manning those 6 weeks lol. I get withdrawals after a few days now, I can't even imagine.

I youtubed Turbokick after I posted. That class looks like it'd make most humans curl into a ball on the floor mid-session. Zumba ladies are far nicer, but go where your stamina takes you!
    I'll let you know how it goes. Assuming I survive. While being curled into a fetal position hasn't stopped me from taunting before, perhaps it isn't the wisest strategy.

Oh, and smart move taking activity classes early! I didn't take any sort of PE class until near the end of my degree. I definitely wish I would have taken the weight lifting class first semester... I ended up being in the best shape of my life after those 6 months. Graduation and real life got in the way after that! (Of course, I fully admit I let it get in the way.)

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Ugh, it turns out I'm sick again (I went to the doctor's for back pain similar to an infection I had earlier in the summer, and it turns out, the same sort of infection was brewing), and the antibiotic they gave me makes me tired and more sensitive to sunlight.

Again, ugh. Might take the rest of the week off or something.
    Please, take the week off. Get yourself healthy for school. If you do go walking simply to get your blood flowing, keep it short and relaxed (nix the jogging).

Did the doc give any advice on future prevention? If so, is there any way you can integrate those changes into your life?

Oh, and I'm sort of slapping myself for not thinking of this earlier, but why not take a diet or exercise class your second semester to help fill one of your general ed requirements?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Please, take the week off. Get yourself healthy for school. If you do go walking simply to get your blood flowing, keep it short and relaxed (nix the jogging).

Did the doc give any advice on future prevention? If so, is there any way you can integrate those changes into your life?

Oh, and I'm sort of slapping myself for not thinking of this earlier, but why not take a diet or exercise class your second semester to help fill one of your general ed requirements?
    If they have one that fits my biology/lab requirement that isn't too bloody and doesn't interrupt anything else, I'll probably do that.

I didn't really get that much advice on future prevention because I just switched doctors. I think I might be able to figure out stuff though.

I do want to still walk, but that sunlight sensitivity thing kind of scared me, I'd never heard of it as a side effect before.

And don't you know, it's not nice to taunt.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I feel horrible about not exercising but even trying to back for school exhausts me...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I feel horrible about not exercising but even trying to back for school exhausts me...
    You shouldn't feel horrible for not exercising when you are sick. You are doing the right thing.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I've gone to Zumba on Wednesday, Thursday, and am going again tonight. My quads weren't enjoying Day 2 for the first 10 minutes lol. I'll have to stretch them a lot before today's session.

Now, my concern is food. On Zumba days, I have to eat a lot. I need to look for cheap, good foods that are high in calories. Otherwise, I'll be constantly eating and constantly full.
    I'll let you know how it goes. Assuming I survive. While being curled into a fetal position hasn't stopped me from taunting before, perhaps it isn't the wisest strategy.

Oh, and smart move taking activity classes early! I didn't take any sort of PE class until near the end of my degree. I definitely wish I would have taken the weight lifting class first semester... I ended up being in the best shape of my life after those 6 months. Graduation and real life got in the way after that! (Of course, I fully admit I let it get in the way.)

Keep us posted on how it goes!
    Maybe one day we can have a challenge at a meetup.
    Zumba.. I Choose You!
    I'm saving my weight training class until my 4th semester. Cardio all the way until then, well, apart from strength training here and there.
    Usually, the individual is the one who gets in the way of body-betterment. I'll totally admit to the same.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    I've gone to Zumba on Wednesday, Thursday, and am going again tonight. My quads weren't enjoying Day 2 for the first 10 minutes lol. I'll have to stretch them a lot before today's session.

Now, my concern is food. On Zumba days, I have to eat a lot. I need to look for cheap, good foods that are high in calories. Otherwise, I'll be constantly eating and constantly full.
    Try to eat your densest carbs (stuff besides fruit and veggies) within 3 hours after your Zumba workout. That can be your "food increase" if you wish. Cheap food will likely include whole grain pasta and rice... try to make it a fistful (or cup) or so and remember to include protein and some healthy fat with it. Look for bulk food stores in your area too, as rolled / steal cut oats, quinoa, etc are super healthy and are reasoanbly priced in bulk.

Beans are super cheap, and are one of the best foods you can eat. Experiment - not all beans make you gassy. Garbonzos (chick peas), green beans, and peas in particular tend to not be as... reactive.

Maybe one day we can have a challenge at a meetup.
    Zumba.. I Choose You!
    I'm saving my weight training class until my 4th semester. Cardio all the way until then, well, apart from strength training here and there.
    Usually, the individual is the one who gets in the way of body-betterment. I'll totally admit to the same.
    Yes, I understand Zumba to be a critical part of part of the NYC experience.

Something to think about for later: If body composition change is your goal (lose fat, gain a bit of muscle), then you may want to consider taking weight training earlier rather than later. Weight training increases lean muscle mass, which means you burn more calories doing nothing. Also, after a workout session your metabolism gets jacked up while it does the work of repairing the damaged muscle, which also means burning more calories doing nothing. If you add a cardio workout a day or two after a weight training workout, while your metabolism is still jacked up a bit, you will begin to compound how you burn calories.

Resistance training is one of the most effective ways to change your body composition, and it's a tool you will want in your arsenal.

Of course, right now what you are doing is working, so I wouldn't recommend changing a thing for the time being.

MBTI
    ENFJ

You shouldn't feel horrible for not exercising when you are sick. You are doing the right thing.
    I just feel like I've been robbed of any chance I have of living normally...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Saturday: Zumba
    Sunday: WiiFit Yoga/Strength Training, Pushups, and Crunches (probably the weakest pushups ever )
    Monday: Zumba
    Tuesday: --
    Wednesday: Zumba

I'd say I'm back into the swing of things.
    I was hoping my 56 year old Zumba instructor would be in today. She used to have knee problems, but worked through them. Now she bounces around like no tomorrow and without an ounce of flinching. I need her secrets because my knees hate the hell out of me right now .
    Try to eat your densest carbs (stuff besides fruit and veggies) within 3 hours after your Zumba workout. That can be your "food increase" if you wish. Cheap food will likely include whole grain pasta and rice... try to make it a fistful (or cup) or so and remember to include protein and some healthy fat with it. Look for bulk food stores in your area too, as rolled / steal cut oats, quinoa, etc are super healthy and are reasoanbly priced in bulk.

Beans are super cheap, and are one of the best foods you can eat. Experiment - not all beans make you gassy. Garbonzos (chick peas), green beans, and peas in particular tend to not be as... reactive.

Yes, I understand Zumba to be a critical part of part of the NYC experience.

Something to think about for later: If body composition change is your goal (lose fat, gain a bit of muscle), then you may want to consider taking weight training earlier rather than later. Weight training increases lean muscle mass, which means you burn more calories doing nothing. Also, after a workout session your metabolism gets jacked up while it does the work of repairing the damaged muscle, which also means burning more calories doing nothing. If you add a cardio workout a day or two after a weight training workout, while your metabolism is still jacked up a bit, you will begin to compound how you burn calories.

Resistance training is one of the most effective ways to change your body composition, and it's a tool you will want in your arsenal.

Of course, right now what you are doing is working, so I wouldn't recommend changing a thing for the time being.
    Raaaah. Next time I go grocery shopping- I'll need a plan for this express purpose. A lot of people have said beans, cheeses, nuts, and peanut butter. I can't complain about not being a bottomless pit , but it does make it difficult in the meantime.

Mm true. Strength training is said to burn for periods of time after working out, while cardio burns during. It's just difficult for me to pick days where I'll do strength training. I'm thinking Sundays and Mondays are nice, but there's no break in between those days. Maybe I'll do some morning strength training and nightly Zumba here and there . Thinking outloud lol.
    Did you try out the Turbokick thing? I want to make sure you survive once you do!

Sparkpeople threw out two interesting factoids to me today-
    1. while resting, lung capacity is reduced to 10-15%.
    2. if someone is/becomes obese, a friend of theirs is 57% more likely to become obese.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]