• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Yesterday was my day off, but today after getting back from Easter festivities with the fam, I went for my daily run.

It didn't go as well today, but I'll chock that up to just getting back with a full stomach of holiday food before I went jogging.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Ran again today.

Cardio is a little better.

Pain in legs still catches up with me during the second leg.

The daily experiment in public shaming continues.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just got back from my daily run.

I improved again today, but my legs hurt like a son of a bitch.

*wonders if six days a week is overdoing is for a beginner*

I officially own this page of the thread. It might as well be my exercise blog.

Beorn

Permabanned
Just got back from my daily run.

I improved again today, but my legs hurt like a son of a bitch.

*wonders if six days a week is overdoing is for a beginner*

I officially own this page of the thread. It might as well be my exercise blog.

It depends on the surface you're running on. 6 days in a row on pavement is tough on any runner's knees and joints. Asphalt is preferable to paved sidewalk, but a dirt trail is really the best if you're running 6 days a week. You might roll an ankle more easily on a trail at the beginning, but in the long run the bumps and roots will only strengthen your feet.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It depends on the surface you're running on. 6 days in a row on pavement is tough on any runner's knees and joints. Asphalt is preferable to paved sidewalk, but a dirt trail is really the best if you're running 6 days a week. You might roll an ankle more easily on a trail at the beginning, but in the long run the bumps and roots will only strengthen your feet.

It's on asphalt/sidewalk.

I do go slow, but it's between 1.5 an 2 miles.

I just grit my teeth and go through the pain as much as I can.

I guess my desire for results outweighs my desire for self preservation.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just grit my teeth and go through the pain as much as I can.

I guess my desire for results outweighs my desire for self preservation.

As someone who has watched a number of people develop stress fractures, I would advise against that and check your desire for results before you can't run at all.

It's one thing to be talking about normal muscle soreness, but beyond that it simply isn't healthy and it doesn't just go away. There's nothing wrong with forcing yourself to go slower/shorter than you think you can to give your body a chance to get used to it.

Of course, if it is just muscle soreness then carry on.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
As someone who has watched a number of people develop stress fractures, I would advise against that and check your desire for results before you can't run at all.

It's one thing to be talking about normal muscle soreness, but beyond that it simply isn't healthy and it doesn't just go away. There's nothing wrong with forcing yourself to go slower/shorter than you think you can to give your body a chance to get used to it.

Of course, if it is just muscle soreness then carry on.

I think I'll take today off to rest up the legs.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Why not just watch what you eat and cut the exercise back to 3-4 days a week?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Why not just watch what you eat and cut the exercise back to 3-4 days a week?

I have a much harder time changing my eating habits than I do exercising.

I eat better now than I did before, but not by much.

This isn't to say I can't make changes to my eating habits, it's just that those changes are usually incremental, and in the past have become easier once I've started losing weight exercising.

I kind of use exercise as a proof of concept that I can lose weight, and once I've started seeing positive results from that, my resistance to changing my eating habits lessens.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Several years ago I lost a lot of weight by eating what I wanted, but I had to work out twice a day. I eventually got stuck and stopped losing, as well as injuring my foot to the point where I could barely walk.

Today I am working on losing my last 10 pounds and have rejoined Weight Watchers. It helps me stay motivated when I know I am weighing in weekly and being held accountable. It's so difficult, because I love food! I am trying to give up sugar, but so far haven't had any luck with that. If anyone has tips on how to quit sugar, or know of any good sugar substitutes, please let me know! Right now I've found that plain greek yogurt with strawberries and truvia are somewhat satisfying.

I also want to thank (again) [MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION] for her superb recommendation several years back that I try ditching Lexapro because it slows down your metabolism. I started losing some weight right away and over the next two years, lost considerably. I think it takes a while for your body to go back to "normal" after taking SSRI's.

An INTP told me a while back that J's do well with diet programs because they like having a plan in place and that kind of makes sense, don't you think? On the other hand, I can see P's benefiting from being given a plan which they can hopefully stick to.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I was on Lex for a while, but I don't remember it having a huge effect on my weight.

Back when I was going to MMA 4/5 days a week, I got down to about 200 before I had to make any adjustments to diet/start running to lose more.

I find that I have an easier time when I make small adjustments to my diet, and let thoe small adjustments accumulate over time to a big change.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Took Fri, Sat, and Sun off from running, but got back to it today.

Cardio was still ok.

But the pain in my legs really held me back today.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
[MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION] Doing running six days in a row is probably over doing it.

Disco's ideal fitness programme would be something like the following: steady pace run of a mile one day, speed run (running in faster bursts) for a mile another day, and long run of a few miles. As well as doing mixed martial arts in between your running, in order to mix the training up, and having a day off completely from training. After a few months increase your speed and distance of each run slowly each week.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm going to pick up the bike tomorrow I think.

I'm going to get a Trek 7.2 FX.

It's a hybrid that's close to a road bike, but with a really durable frame, and tires that can handle jumping the curb and other shenanigans.

It's a good intro bike in that if I really get into it, I can upgrade a lot of different stuff on it, but the basic bike isn't too expensive.

I'm super stoked.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm in it's gonna be low key for me since i only need to lose 10-15lbs my plan is to eat mostly lean meats and vegetables as much as i can and have a yogurt a day at least one. than walk mon wed fri 2-3miles and exercise bike tues thurs for at least 20 mins and walk one day on the weekend and do the exercise bike the other day.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nice bike![MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]

I'm still looking to do the impossible, and turn a bmx somehow into a road bike...

Yeah, I want to put gears on a bmx because... It doesn't keep up with traffic well.
(I doubt very much so that I can do that though.)

I can't wait to get back to the gym, went yesterday, that's the 2nd time this week, I also went on Tuesday.

Last edited: