• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
(However, I noticed one weight machine for back, abs and squats uses NEWTON - what the eff is that? - not kilos :steam: so had to change my record; everything else was accurate and in kilos.)[/B]

*Takes out amateur physics student glasses* A newton is a unit of force (a kilogram is a unit of mass) equalling 1 kg*m per second squared. So I guess the machine is being more exact (but it doesn't really matter if you use force units or mass units when you stay on this same planet at the same altitude). But basically, "on Earth's surface, a mass of 1 kg exerts a force of approximately 9.80665 N". So yeah, it's the same.

Hah, finally something I semi-know about in this thread. Not calories or food groups and muscle groups and stuff. Also, Little Linguist, reading about your "lazy" days makes me sleepy.

If I haven't already said something, I am impressed by the way you are not letting vacation be an excuse to not work out.

You have, but I never turn down a compliment! Actually, I think it is somewhat easier to exercise when I'm away- fewer distractions I think, and no school and work! I mean, I will be very glad if I can keep up my current pace when I start classes again, although then I will have dance class and that will make me less stiff in all the joints.

What is much harder is the figuring out the eating. I'm starting to feel a bit like Hansel, being fattened up by all my gracious hosts: if we're outside it's ice cream (or coffee, but it is so sour!) and if it's inside it's cakes and bars and juice flowing. But it is all delicious so I hope to maybe do a little exercise later.

it hurts.

I went to a college campus for 3 months and chose to drink regular coke in the cafeteria instead of diet. Now I can't drink diet coke -- given a choice between diet coke and iced tea I'd pick the tea, dammit.

I gained a bit of weight but I guess that means less cancer?

I guess now I'm also a bit more aware of my soda consumption because back when I drank diet I would drink it like water.

I can't say I'm that attached to soda, but if you don't like diet soda (and it's weird aftertastes, maybe drinking something like fizzy water helps?). I'm all about food texture, so the fizzy-ness is most of the appeal of soda for me. (Though I have a big weakness for juice and those fancy Izzy sodas like the one you posted are like crack. Especially the clementine flavor one. Luckily I also think thez are ridiculously expensive so only drink them when I am stuck at Starbucks from locking myself out of the house.)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Takes out amateur physics student glasses* A newton is a unit of force (a kilogram is a unit of mass) equalling 1 kg*m per second squared. So I guess the machine is being more exact (but it doesn't really matter if you use force units or mass units when you stay on this same planet at the same altitude). But basically, "on Earth's surface, a mass of 1 kg exerts a force of approximately 9.80665 N". So yeah, it's the same.

OMG That means 100 N is only 10 kg. Awww. :blush: Well, there's always room for improvement.

Hehe, well if reading about my lazy days makes you sleepy, then read about my active ones! :D There are plenty of them, too! :static:

By the way, how are you enjoying life in Germany so far?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like it! Now I'm in Springe (outside of Hannover) and I love it here (it's more my pace, really but very rainy). I'm a little disappointed to learn people only wear liederhosen in Southern Germany. My cousin's music-themed wedding is in 3 hours, so I should be getting ready and practicing the Brahms piece and mangling all the "cht" sounds in "nacht". German consonants are so hard for me!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Busy day on Friday, so just finally posting.

We go to Sam's after husband gets off work on Fridays, so no evening walk.

Crunches done.

Vegetation eaten.

Only one serving of soda.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ You've been pretty consistent :yes: I definitely pigged out at dnd night tonight >.>

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Welcome! Glad you decided to join us. :)

Have you thought about what you wish to do on a weekly basis? Also, I hope you are feeling better soon. Let us know when you are ready to enter the fray.
Thanks! I've wanted to start this for months now, with many failed starts.

That kind of exercise goal needs a steady increase in running, a bit in cycling, other exercises can be done about once per week the whole time.

Running:
Starting from 1 hr/week in three parts in September, I'll gradually increase to 6-7hr/week in October in 4-5 parts, with a mix of short, medium and long distances.

The longest time ran at a time will increase from 30 min to 2h or more. I'll throw in some short and quick runs (half a mile, kilometer, something like that) to develop speed.

From then on, I'll maintain 6-7 hr a week, with my longest lap increasing from 20km (14mi) to 33km (20.5mi), maintaining speed in the range of 9,5-11km/hr.

Cycling:
Starting from around September 20th, to as long as the weather allows, I'll do cycling exercises for 1 hr a week. I'll move to an inside exercise bike when needed. Plus, I'll do most of my trips to work, hobbies, etc. on bike, adding about 2hr of light to moderate cycling per week. It's about as fast as going by bus.

Swimming:
Starting from September 14th, 2-3 times swimming per month. I'll increase the distance swam from 400m (quarter mile) to about two miles (3200m) gradually in 6 months. I'll mix in quick exercises, longest distance swam in 12minutes, fastest time to complete 50m.

Workout:
Starting from September 18th or so, about 5-6 times a month. For the first few times, I'll fit in my entire exercise plan in one go .. about 15-17 body movements, then dividing it in half. I'll exercise for about 45min-60min at a time, doing two sets of 8-12 reps each exercise, with close to the maximum weight possible to endure the whole hour. Sometimes I'll change my exercise plan to ensure steady development.

My main challenge:
Giving up most of the unhealthy food I eat and the alcohol I drink to allow for all this. I've done something like this before, just not in the intensity I'm planning. I'd have to start liking exercise more than evenings at the bar with my friends, delicious fatty food with my loved one and a bag of potato chips now and then. Of course I'll do some other nice things with my people, just not eat and drink too much. I think it's just about to happen. I'll give it a little push and it'll roll in the way of exercise and healthier eating and drinking.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Santtu, glad you joined us, that's awesome!!! :static: :static: :static:

Quick review:

Caloric intake: 1200 kcal

Workout (endurance training, not strength training, so it was about heart rate and duration, not high levels and lots of resistance):

30 minutes stepper, level 6-7, heart rate 135-145
30 minutes stepper, level 4, heart rate 125-135

Totals: 210 flights, 7.01 km, 390 kcal

60 minutes elliptical, level 12, random setting, heart rate 135-145
5 minutes elliptical, level 6, cool-down setting, heart rate about 125

Totals: 8.13 km, 826 kcal

2 rounds of sauna:

- 1 round of organic sauna, 60 degrees, 25 minutes
- 1 round of Aufguss sauna, 95 degrees, 15 minutes

And now, I'm just a bit tired. :D

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yesterday - ate veggies, drank water, no real exercise except a lot of walking at work. Have resisted Coke for a week now.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is much harder is the figuring out the eating. I'm starting to feel a bit like Hansel, being fattened up by all my gracious hosts: if we're outside it's ice cream (or coffee, but it is so sour!) and if it's inside it's cakes and bars and juice flowing. But it is all delicious so I hope to maybe do a little exercise later.

2 weeks of vacation won't make or break you, so I wouldn't worry about it. What tends to kill people is that the vacation causes them to break the healthy habits they have gotten into, and they never resume their diets and exercises when they get back.

Nov/Dec/early Jan will be very interesting times for this thread. I expect alot of vacations, and we will need to figure out ways to make sure everyone gets back into exercising and eating after the holidays!

Thanks! I've wanted to start this for months now, with many failed starts.

That kind of exercise goal needs a steady increase in running, a bit in cycling, other exercises can be done about once per week the whole time.

That's impressively detailed. I have heard that the more detailed you envision the goals, the more likely you are to fulfill them. Although, if it gets to be too complex, don't be afraid to simplify them a bit. :)

Here is what I have you down for:

Run 3x a week for a total of 1 hour.
Sept 21 Bicycle 1 hour a week.
Sept 21 Workout (Do you mean weightlifting?) 1x per week.

I'll add the rest in once we get there.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yes, weights :) but I don't have english names for all the exercises I'll be doing with the weights. Some with free weights, some with machines.

Thank you for noticing.

And yes, less than once/week swimming. Then again, there's a local gym just 100m from my house (ohhoh!) having both a gym and a swimming hall :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
12 minutes on the stationary (without falling off in a heap!), 30 minute power walk, same rigmarole with the 6 lb weights, yadda yadda. I've already announced my intention of getting a bikini body to my fambly so I guess I'm locked in. Darn me and my announcements.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
20 minute walk

I didn't get to take the long route today. It was raining this morning, and then I went shopping, and was so tired out that I had to take a siesta after that and before I knew it people were yelling at me about dinner and a movie that night. Also, the fact that the sidewalk was still wet checked my speed but I still managed to sweat and elevated my heart rate, so it wasn't useless.

I haven't noticed myself getting any stronger in the past few weeks but I have noticed that I've been sleeping a lot better and actually getting hungry (instead of just eating whenever food was thrust upon me). This counts as improvement, right?

Tomorrow I won't be doing anything, but I'll be at a festival a lot of the day and the grounds it's on are HUGE, so it isn't like I'll be sitting on my ass all day. I'll just try not to overdo it on the delicious festival food :)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I got entirely too drunk last night, so i'm having trouble getting motivated! I do intend to do at least 45 minutes of wii fit at some point tonight. :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Kolaches for breakfast, Mexican for lunch. Ah, well. I did go buy some healthy stuff at Whole Foods, though, and I'm about to take a walk around the neighborhood.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*strolls out with Tallulah*

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um... I'm watching the Virginia Tech - Alabama football game. That counts as exercise, right? Riiight?!?!

12 minutes on the stationary (without falling off in a heap!), 30 minute power walk, same rigmarole with the 6 lb weights, yadda yadda. I've already announced my intention of getting a bikini body to my fambly so I guess I'm locked in. Darn me and my announcements.

Yeah, you wouldn't imagine the pressure I've been feeling ever since I announced, in this thread, that I was going to work on my bikini body.

I haven't noticed myself getting any stronger in the past few weeks but I have noticed that I've been sleeping a lot better and actually getting hungry (instead of just eating whenever food was thrust upon me). This counts as improvement, right?

Those are both very good signs - it means your body is getting a workout. I know that 'quick walking' doesn't sound impressive on paper, but it's actually a pretty wonderful workout. It's a moderate impact exercise which is good for the bones, but not tough on the joints like jogging.

I got entirely too drunk last night, so i'm having trouble getting motivated! I do intend to do at least 45 minutes of wii fit at some point tonight. :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of workout does Wii fit provide?

Kolaches for breakfast, Mexican for lunch. Ah, well. I did go buy some healthy stuff at Whole Foods, though, and I'm about to take a walk around the neighborhood.

Doing stuff like going to the store and buying healthy foods is really important! Things like that are easy to overlook, and can then come back to haunt you later. Consider the kolaches and Mexican as a reward. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
2 miles of running, 2 miles of walking, complete. I did it in the rain, and it rocked the casbah. The thunder and lightning TOTALLY motivated me. I went a bit faster as a result, completing the run in 5 1/2 songs instead of 6. I know, I'm a slow runner XD hahaha.

Level 3 of my workout DVD - Complete. I'll break down what I do during the course of the workout. All exercises are done for a set time, as many reps as possible within the timeframe, all exercises are done one after another, with no rest time inbetween.

1 Minutes warm up (Crossing the arms, windmills, double-jump rope, leg twists (I'm not sure how to describe these.. but you hold your arms out and lift your straight legs to and twist your opposite arms) butt kicks, and knee circles)

Circuit 1:
Strength: 30 seconds plank walks (start out in push up position on your elbows, walk yourself up to your hands, and back down again)
1 minute supermans
Repeat those two

Cardio:
30 seconds Mountain climbers
30 seconds of sumo jumps (get into a sort of sumo squat, and jump up and down)
Repeat

Abs:
30 seconds Pike sit ups (arms out straight over your head, and sort of fold yourself into a V and go back down)
30 seconds Scissor crunches (hands under your butt, legs straight up and a bit off the ground, and scissor them side to side)

Circuit 2:
Strength:
30 seconds Oscar winners (that's what I call em.. 5lb dumbbells, lift it up over your head, then squat down to touch it to the ground, and repeat)
1 minute Jumping lunges (lunge, jump to switch legs, repeat)
Repeat those two

Cardio:
30 seconds Shadowboxing (squat down, punch out with dumbbells in hand)
30 seconds butt kicks with arms engaged via dumbbells at 90 degrees
repeat shadowboxing
30 seconds jumping jacks with dumbbells

Abs:
1 minute unassisted sit ups

Circuit 3:
30 seconds Traveling Pushups (Walk walk, push, walk walk push from one side to the other)
1 minute Plank raises. (Push up position but grasping the dumbbells. Lift left arm up like you're rowing it, then set it down. Lift right straight leg up and put it down. do opposite appendages, repeat.)
Repeat those two.

Cardio:
30 seconds squat jumps (squat down, jump up, repeat.)
30 seconds Rockstar jumps (Jumping up high enough to kick your legs back behind you.)
Repeat

Abs:
1 minute side lifts (30 seconds each side)

Cool down 1 minute with stretching.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've planned to increase the distance ran by 10-15% per week.

I will need to close the gap with my current energy consumption (drinking + eating combined) and goal consumption with about 30% per week.

For example, this has been an extremely wet week, considering alcohol. I've drank perhaps 6 portions of alcohol / day. (there's an exceptional situation). I'll get down to optimal (1..1,5...2 per day) by decreasing 30% of the difference each week.

What's expectional? I haven't had free time for a while. I ended up sick, so I drank for my fun. That's once in 4-6 months or so.

The week before? That's okay, 2 portions of alcohol/day - within healthy limits, if a bit high. This week, not so. That's why I'm including it in my plan.

I don't do any drugs.

Still, learning from development possibilities in exercise, development should't come too fast. Learning not to use something is development as well. It's easier to increase one's consumption of unhealthy substances, and harder to decrease it. That's why I'm planning to decrease the amount of alcohol used by only 20-30% /week, even tho I experienced an incease of +200% this week. It's a weak spot for me, just like red meat, potato chips and few other foods.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Out of curiosity, what kind of workout does Wii fit provide?

It provides light to medium aerobic, yoga, balance and strength training. Most of the yoga poses and the strength training are sort of difficult for me, and the aerobic exercises do actually make you sweat if you do them long enough. I highly enjoy doing wii fit boxing on expert.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, guys, you are all doing fantastic!!! So motivating!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :wubbie: I'm going to the gym today again! Hellz yeah. Will report when I get back.

:hug: Great job, guys! :yes: