• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
My new campus is very walking accessable. This is good.

The only reason I'm not walking it right now is because I still feel sick.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say I'm back into the swing of things.
I was hoping my 56 year old Zumba instructor would be in today. She used to have knee problems, but worked through them. Now she bounces around like no tomorrow and without an ounce of flinching. I need her secrets because my knees hate the hell out of me right now :cry:.

Focus on:
1) Leg and hip stretches.
2) Muscle strength.
3) Proper technique.

Assuming you don't have any major knee issues, those will take you far. You also significantly lower the stress on your knees as you lose weight.

Raaaah. Next time I go grocery shopping- I'll need a plan for this express purpose. A lot of people have said beans, cheeses, nuts, and peanut butter. I can't complain about not being a bottomless pit :laugh:, but it does make it difficult in the meantime.

Cheeses have higher saturated fat content. They are perfectly fine, but eat them in moderation. Also, if you are looking at cheese you can look at lowfat cottage cheese and lowfat yogurt.

I don't recommend the non-fat stuff because I have taste buds.

Did you try out the Turbokick thing? I want to make sure you survive once you do!

Not yet... went rollerblading last week. I may try a class this week.

Sparkpeople threw out two interesting factoids to me today-
1. while resting, lung capacity is reduced to 10-15%.
2. if someone is/becomes obese, a friend of theirs is 57% more likely to become obese.

Interesting. If you want to learn more about #2, check out this video from TED on how social networks influence us:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-tOghblfE&feature=player_embedded"]Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networks [/YOUTUBE]

My new campus is very walking accessable. This is good.

The only reason I'm not walking it right now is because I still feel sick.

I hope you feel better soon! Glad to hear you made it and enjoy the layout of the campus.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I hope you feel better soon! Glad to hear you made it and enjoy the layout of the campus.

Water seems to have revived me for another fifteen minutes.

I think people should just shut up about obesity for a while and see what happens, you know?

It's weird, people always talk about cravings, and the only thing I seem to really want is dairy.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Water seems to have revived me for another fifteen minutes.

I think people should just shut up about obesity for a while and see what happens, you know?

It's weird, people always talk about cravings, and the only thing I seem to really want is dairy.

Is "dairy" code word for "ice cream" by any chance? Cuz if so, I understand completely.

Also, I've heard some interesting theories about how the "obesity epidemic" is largely just fear mongering by corporations to feed into the multi-billion dollar health industry. There's probably some truth to it, too. Some of what is considered obese today would have been considered ideal in earlier ages.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Is "dairy" code word for "ice cream" by any chance? Cuz if so, I understand completely.

Also, I've heard some interesting theories about how the "obesity epidemic" is largely just fear mongering by corporations to feed into the multi-billion dollar health industry. There's probably some truth to it, too. Some of what is considered obese today would have been considered ideal in earlier ages.

If "ice cream" is code for milk with a fat percentage higher than 0, greek yogurt, tea lattes and hot milk chocolate, then yeah, I'm totally into ice cream. I think I learned my dairy tolerance at the Minnesota state fair -- as long as I have fewer than 5 servings a day, I should probably be okay.

It just seems suspect to me how the standards keep moving in one direction -- down. Because of this, many people who would not have been diagnosed with health issues before now are, which makes it seem like an epidemic. Whether the standards are rightfully being moved down is questionable, and it makes it seem that all of the sudden things have suddenly changed and there's a problem, when such a "problem" may have been there before.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unkind - I did the Turbokick workout today. I survived, but it was indeed quite challenging. My punches and kicks near the end of the routine would have had questionable ability to intimidate potential thugs. Overall, I enjoyed it though. Far more fun than 45 minutes of an elliptical machine.

Zumba class isn't available on Saturdays, so I won't be able to try it out this month.

If "ice cream" is code for milk with a fat percentage higher than 0, greek yogurt, tea lattes and hot milk chocolate, then yeah, I'm totally into ice cream. I think I learned my dairy tolerance at the Minnesota state fair -- as long as I have fewer than 5 servings a day, I should probably be okay.

Yeah, that's totally what I meant by "ice cream"! :D

And yeah, all of those foods are tasty. I can understand the cravings. Dairy has lots of fat and protein, and when you combine it with sugar, it becomes a potent combo.

It just seems suspect to me how the standards keep moving in one direction -- down. Because of this, many people who would not have been diagnosed with health issues before now are, which makes it seem like an epidemic. Whether the standards are rightfully being moved down is questionable, and it makes it seem that all of the sudden things have suddenly changed and there's a problem, when such a "problem" may have been there before.

The B.M.I. is the biggest bunch of BS ever. I have no idea why we use it, outside of the fact that it makes it easy for insurance companies to label a person as unhealthy. It was created over 150 years ago by a mathematician, and wasn't even intended for medical use. And we won't get into what drug company lobbying has done to change the standards.

But I do believe there's a problem - the increase in cardiovascular disease at earlier ages and young children becoming diabetic really suggest we have an issue. However, instead of really analyzing that, lets just say there's an epidemic that an expensive diet plan will cure with 10 minutes of exercise and a powdered drink!

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thursday: Zumba
Friday: --
Saturday: Zumba

I messaged the one instructor the other night. She said she would show me some specifics after one of her classes. I'm hoping to go to her class early tomorrow morning (providing my car allows it :cry:).
Focus on:
1) Leg and hip stretches.
2) Muscle strength.
3) Proper technique.

Assuming you don't have any major knee issues, those will take you far. You also significantly lower the stress on your knees as you lose weight.

Cheeses have higher saturated fat content. They are perfectly fine, but eat them in moderation. Also, if you are looking at cheese you can look at lowfat cottage cheese and lowfat yogurt.
I don't recommend the non-fat stuff because I have taste buds.

Interesting. If you want to learn more about #2, check out this video from TED on how social networks influence us:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-tOghblfE&feature=player_embedded"]Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networks [/YOUTUBE]
Thanks :). I could/should dedicate more time to stretching. I do a bit, but I could utilize more of my down time. Weight loss is sloooow :tongue10:.. well not that slow, but I'm just making a fuss :tongue:

I wish I liked cottage cheese. I probably should give it a second shot, since I tried some whipped version once. It was like Ricotta.. I just wanted to slather it on pasta.
My Dad made a face when I was checking out some 50-75% reduced fat cheddar ha, so I bought a small thing of normal cheddar and monterey jack. I did get some pecans, almonds, and beans though! Yay.

I still need to watch the last few minutes of that clip. It's very interesting, but completely understandable. I can definitely tune into the emotional groups, thass srs ENFJ biznass :dry:. It's actually a big part of why I hang with INFPs, they keep the vibe mellow and can be contained otherwise lol.
Something interesting, I noticed that I've been the overweight one in my group, but it was always the skinny people being the bad influences. They were the biggest fat kids at heart and now that I've been rid of them, it's easier for me to make better choices. So odd. They may be skinny, but I wouldn't put much stock in their health.
Unkind - I did the Turbokick workout today. I survived, but it was indeed quite challenging. My punches and kicks near the end of the routine would have had questionable ability to intimidate potential thugs. Overall, I enjoyed it though. Far more fun than 45 minutes of an elliptical machine.

Zumba class isn't available on Saturdays, so I won't be able to try it out this month.
:D Glad to hear you are alive after it. Is it as high-intensity as youtube clips would lead me to believe? Lots of bouncing and "RAH"ing?
I'll be rooting for a future Zumba adventure for you. I don't think I could ever abandon my favorite cult.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wish I liked cottage cheese. I probably should give it a second shot, since I tried some whipped version once. It was like Ricotta.. I just wanted to slather it on pasta.

Definitely worth trying again. I like eating cottage cheese with an apple. You know.. not mixed together or anything, just in the same meal.

Something interesting, I noticed that I've been the overweight one in my group, but it was always the skinny people being the bad influences. They were the biggest fat kids at heart and now that I've been rid of them, it's easier for me to make better choices. So odd. They may be skinny, but I wouldn't put much stock in their health.

Those are the people that will probably become obese when they are in their forties.

:D Glad to hear you are alive after it. Is it as high-intensity as youtube clips would lead me to believe? Lots of bouncing and "RAH"ing?
I'll be rooting for a future Zumba adventure for you. I don't think I could ever abandon my favorite cult.

Well, I think I stumbled into the Secret Land of Pregnant Women. 4 of the women there were with child, including the instructor. I had to take a shower to wash the hormones off of me after the class. ;) So it wasn't as high intensity as the demo videos, but it was still pretty high intensity for those that could keep up.

If nothing else, I ROCKED the break portions.

wolfy

awsm
Well, I think I stumbled into the Secret Land of Pregnant Women. 4 of the women there were with child, including the instructor. I had to take a shower to wash the hormones off of me after the class. ;) So it wasn't as high intensity as the demo videos, but it was still pretty high intensity for those that could keep up.

If nothing else, I ROCKED the break portions.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I need to move weights back and forth between studios at work. There can be over 30 women in one, the estrogen is intimidating. Especially if they start saying "gosh, you are strong"...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Well, the good news is the only gym I can find here is open until 1am. This is good because I am a night owl and tend to go to gyms late at night. The bad news is... It sucks. Very little equipment, half broken, and it smells like B.O. and has poor ventilation.

It seems the only other option here is a "Curves" though, and I heard they have a weird system that involves group workouts with music playing and some kind of switching machines when the music beeps like its a game of musical chairs.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, the good news is the only gym I can find here is open until 1am. This is good because I am a night owl and tend to go to gyms late at night. The bad news is... It sucks. Very little equipment, half broken, and it smells like B.O. and has poor ventilation.

It seems the only other option here is a "Curves" though, and I heard they have a weird system that involves group workouts with music playing and some kind of switching machines when the music beeps like its a game of musical chairs.

Liking your gym is very important. It can be hard enough to motivate yourself to go at all, but if you have to also put up with that mess? Doesn't sound like a recipe for success. (Unless they have a major perk, like being very close to home.)

That Curves thing sounds weird. It sounds circuit-based, with a bit of music and social atmosphere to try and take some of the monotony out of it. Is that a type of workout you'd enjoy?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
That Curves thing sounds weird. It sounds circuit-based, with a bit of music and social atmosphere to try and take some of the monotony out of it. Is that a type of workout you'd enjoy?

Not at all. The reason I like to go at like 3am is because its empty.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I can't tell easily how it compares to what I was doing before.

Can you find a map of your campus with a scale on it? I also understand that the downloadable version of Google Earth lets you pick two points and returns the distance. Both can be used get an estimate of how much you are walking.

If it's in your bugdet, you can also get a pedometer.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know if it's in my budget, especially if I'll be getting a skateboard/scooter/rollerskates/whatever.

Could Google Earth recognize walking paths?

The problem is that if I do gain 15 lbs in the next year or so, people will assume it's the freshman fifteen instead of, well, I lost at least 15 lbs due to illness in the past year and I'm just gaining it back.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could Google Earth recognize walking paths?

The problem is that if I do gain 15 lbs in the next year or so, people will assume it's the freshman fifteen instead of, well, I lost at least 15 lbs due to illness in the past year and I'm just gaining it back.

I don't think Google recognizes specific walking paths, but you can still use it to get an estimate.

How's the school's food selection? Have you had the chance to see if the school offers any dietary services to help you create a healthy meal plan?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't think Google recognizes specific walking paths, but you can still use it to get an estimate.

How's the school's food selection? Have you had the chance to see if the school offers any dietary services to help you create a healthy meal plan?

I don't know.

The dorm I'm in has a great salad bar. The food is pretty good overall.