• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Falling Down

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Umm. I was looking at how I walk more critically today and I noticed that I walk on each foot differently. Is this a problem?

Most likely, any asymmetry in such an intricate biomechanical process like running is never good. Differences can be minute, but lead to different effects. You can start favoring a leg, hips get messed up, back starts to hurt... all because you may just be balancing on different parts of your feet. What, specifically, is the difference?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Most likely, any asymmetry in such an intricate biomechanical process like running is never good. Differences can be minute, but lead to different effects. You can start favoring a leg, hips get messed up, back starts to hurt... all because you may just be balancing on different parts of your feet. What, specifically, is the difference?

My left foot has its toes pointing outward more and pushes more while my right is more straight and pushes more up.

It doesn't look like much of a difference but when I try to walk like both of my feet are like my right feet it's enough that my left foot feels weird and tries to curl up so I'm walking on the side of my foot. Walking this way I've found is slower, and I've tried to walk like both of my feet were like my left feet, which was faster, but made me bounce up and down more.

For the record, my left foot has better balance when I try to stand on it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It almost sounds like your legs aren't the same size, which isn't terribly uncommon, but a Dr scholes in one shoe could help something like that. What about when you run? Does that still happen with your feet?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It almost sounds like your legs aren't the same size, which isn't terribly uncommon, but a Dr scholes in one shoe could help something like that. What about when you run? Does that still happen with your feet?

When I jog, yes. When I run, I can't really get fast enough for it to count as a run unless I'm on my toes.

So, if I get some Dr. Scholls, should I put it in my right shoe or my left shoe?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
When I jog, yes. When I run, I can't really get fast enough for it to count as a run unless I'm on my toes.

So, if I get some Dr. Scholls, should I put it in my right shoe or my left shoe?

Well, it depends if your legs aren't the same size. Best way to tell is to sit on the floor with your legs out straight, since if you stand up sometimes you'll set your weight to one side and compensate for the difference. It could be a multitude of things really.

I'm not really that qualified to answer most of these questions, though...so be skeptical. But if your right foot has balance issues and you walk better emulating your left foot, maybe it's your right foot or right leg?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, it depends if your legs aren't the same size. Best way to tell is to sit on the floor with your legs out straight, since if you stand up sometimes you'll set your weight to one side and compensate for the difference. It could be a multitude of things really.

I'm not really that qualified to answer most of these questions, though...so be skeptical. But if your right foot has balance issues and you walk better emulating your left foot, maybe it's your right foot or right leg?

Well, it doesn't seem like it could hurt to try. I could probably convince my mother to buy me a pair of insoles, and if it's uncomfortable to walk with only one in, I could just take it out.

Until then I'll try walking like my left foot though, wider step, etc.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Well, it doesn't seem like it could hurt to try. I could probably convince my mother to buy me a pair of insoles, and if it's uncomfortable to walk with only one in, I could just take it out.

Until then I'll try walking like my left foot though, wider step, etc.

Do you have medical insurance? If it's that bad you can always get it checked out.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I don't get it. You're supposed to be faster going down hill, not slower. Perhaps I should take advantage of my near-spherical shape and just roll down the hill, then?

Well you got me falling to the floor laughing.

Maybe it's because you lose speed going up a hill and balance is more difficult then.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well you got me falling to the floor laughing.

Maybe it's because you lose speed going up a hill and balance is more difficult then.

I can understand why you lose speed going up a hill but I don't see why balance would be more difficult. You can shift your weight forward to keep you up if you're going to fall going uphill. If you're going downhill and you're going to fall, well, for humans you can only shift so far back.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Lose weight and gain strength?

That may sound insensitive, but if simple momentum is exceeding your ability to stabilize on a decline, it sounds like you could attack this particular problem from both sides at once.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Lose weight and gain strength?

That may sound insensitive, but if simple momentum is exceeding your ability to stabilize on a decline, it sounds like you could attack this particular problem from both sides at once.

I have the most problems walking across hills.

That is exactly the final plan but I have to do this again on Monday, and I don't think I can lose 20lbs and gain much more coordination in a week -- and it's most certainly not going to help if I twist something before I can do that.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I have the most problems walking across hills.

That is exactly the final plan but I have to do this again on Monday, and I don't think I can lose 20lbs and gain much more coordination in a week -- and it's most certainly not going to help if I twist something before I can do that.

Refuse the exercise until you're capable of performing it.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
There goes my GPA...

No reasonable system will risk injuring a student. Discuss the matter with the instructors or their superiors.

Edit: And if you really want to press the point, have a doctor or sports equivilent make a written recommendation. No school will risk the litigation of ignoring a doctor's instructions.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Edit: And if you really want to press the point, have a doctor or sports equivilent make a written recommendation. No school will risk the litigation of ignoring a doctor's instructions.

But that would cost money. D:

And I highly doubt that anyone would be able to find anything wrong.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, what a strange gym class.

As for going downhill, I'd forget trying to powerwalk downhill. That's hard stuff when your momentum gets going.

If you're a heavier person, taking it slower downhill is better for you because you will have greater momentum. Maybe that's why you're falling over...you are not accustomed to quickly adapting your posture and footing to shift your weight and control your momentum. Or your gait prevents you from doing such easily.

But hey, at least you don't consistently fall down going up inclines! That's even more embarrassing.

I would suggest not doing something your body isn't used to at full tilt. That's likely to cause injury.

Maybe you need more practice at going down inclines to build up a muscle memory so you can later do so faster. I can understand why your body wouldn't be adjusted to such a thing if you have not done much (prior to the class) that involves going up and down hills are quick speeds on a daily basis...most everyday activities do not involve this.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There goes my GPA...

Surely PE doesn't count for THAT high a percentage of it relative to other classes?

I don't see how you're going to succeed at anything if they're piling body issues onto your plate when you've already got a full load of academic concerns. If you're stuck focusing on this stuff, it's going to take away time and energy from your classwork, which WILL hurt your GPA. It just doesn't make sense... it seems like you're always falling between the cracks or something. This is the kind of stuff there are systems in place to prevent, but you always seem to slip between the gears and find yourself in the middle of situations with unreasonable expectations that they refuse to help you with.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I talked to the teacher today.

At first she said get my ears checked.

Then she said she didn't notice I had fallen behind so much because she was in the front of the line.

(I feel like even more of a retard now)

Upon looking at how I walk, she said that I walk with my feet too close together. My feet need to be as wide as my shoulders. Or something.

It's very strange to walk that way... I may still try the Dr. Scholls, though.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:hug:
sorry you fall down, haph.

It could be anything!
The teacher was right though it could have something to do with your inner ear, the center that controls balance and where you are in relation to the space around you. Any dizziness?