User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Falling Down

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Umm. I was looking at how I walk more critically today and I noticed that I walk on each foot differently. Is this a problem?
    Most likely, any asymmetry in such an intricate biomechanical process like running is never good. Differences can be minute, but lead to different effects. You can start favoring a leg, hips get messed up, back starts to hurt... all because you may just be balancing on different parts of your feet. What, specifically, is the difference?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Most likely, any asymmetry in such an intricate biomechanical process like running is never good. Differences can be minute, but lead to different effects. You can start favoring a leg, hips get messed up, back starts to hurt... all because you may just be balancing on different parts of your feet. What, specifically, is the difference?
    My left foot has its toes pointing outward more and pushes more while my right is more straight and pushes more up.

It doesn't look like much of a difference but when I try to walk like both of my feet are like my right feet it's enough that my left foot feels weird and tries to curl up so I'm walking on the side of my foot. Walking this way I've found is slower, and I've tried to walk like both of my feet were like my left feet, which was faster, but made me bounce up and down more.

For the record, my left foot has better balance when I try to stand on it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

It almost sounds like your legs aren't the same size, which isn't terribly uncommon, but a Dr scholes in one shoe could help something like that. What about when you run? Does that still happen with your feet?

MBTI
    ENFJ

It almost sounds like your legs aren't the same size, which isn't terribly uncommon, but a Dr scholes in one shoe could help something like that. What about when you run? Does that still happen with your feet?
    When I jog, yes. When I run, I can't really get fast enough for it to count as a run unless I'm on my toes.

So, if I get some Dr. Scholls, should I put it in my right shoe or my left shoe?

When I jog, yes. When I run, I can't really get fast enough for it to count as a run unless I'm on my toes.

So, if I get some Dr. Scholls, should I put it in my right shoe or my left shoe?
    Well, it depends if your legs aren't the same size. Best way to tell is to sit on the floor with your legs out straight, since if you stand up sometimes you'll set your weight to one side and compensate for the difference. It could be a multitude of things really.

I'm not really that qualified to answer most of these questions, though...so be skeptical. But if your right foot has balance issues and you walk better emulating your left foot, maybe it's your right foot or right leg?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, it depends if your legs aren't the same size. Best way to tell is to sit on the floor with your legs out straight, since if you stand up sometimes you'll set your weight to one side and compensate for the difference. It could be a multitude of things really.

I'm not really that qualified to answer most of these questions, though...so be skeptical. But if your right foot has balance issues and you walk better emulating your left foot, maybe it's your right foot or right leg?
    Well, it doesn't seem like it could hurt to try. I could probably convince my mother to buy me a pair of insoles, and if it's uncomfortable to walk with only one in, I could just take it out.

Until then I'll try walking like my left foot though, wider step, etc.

Well, it doesn't seem like it could hurt to try. I could probably convince my mother to buy me a pair of insoles, and if it's uncomfortable to walk with only one in, I could just take it out.

Until then I'll try walking like my left foot though, wider step, etc.
    Do you have medical insurance? If it's that bad you can always get it checked out.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Do you have medical insurance? If it's that bad you can always get it checked out.
    I do but... I don't think it's that bad. I want to try what I can first.

MBTI
    nnnn

I don't get it. You're supposed to be faster going down hill, not slower. Perhaps I should take advantage of my near-spherical shape and just roll down the hill, then?
    Well you got me falling to the floor laughing.

Maybe it's because you lose speed going up a hill and balance is more difficult then.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    Well you got me falling to the floor laughing.

Maybe it's because you lose speed going up a hill and balance is more difficult then.
    I can understand why you lose speed going up a hill but I don't see why balance would be more difficult. You can shift your weight forward to keep you up if you're going to fall going uphill. If you're going downhill and you're going to fall, well, for humans you can only shift so far back.