• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge! Anyone interested?

P

Phantonym

Oh yeah, to make things interesting and more challenging, I'm going to throw in some dietary goals to lose some weight as well. I already have the no junk-food, no sweets, no added sugar, no wheat, lots of water and walking thing going on but I want to make the healthy meals more regular = 3 full meals and 2 snacks a day.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
For anyone looking for motivation, bookmark this link to a before and after section of a fitness discussion board. People post their results after varying types of workouts, diets and time.

Anyone concerned about going to a gym and feeling like they are too fat or weak and won't fit in, my experience has been that regulars like it when someone comes in because the change (both physically and in their confidence/self-image) is dramatic and wonderful to see happen.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
goals-

take a class at the gym four times a week and burn at least 600 calories per class.
elliptical (at home) at least 30 minutes four times a week. calorie burn at least 200.
cut back on sugar.
drink more water.

class schedule-
monday- muscle class at 6:30 pm
tuesday- cycle at 8:30 am
wednesday- boot camp class 10:00 am
thursday- muscle class at 9:30 am

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Very good goals :) Classes highly motivate me because I feel like I can't let the instructor and classmates down, and it's scheduled so I'm morely likely to stick to it.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright

My Super Epic Goals (The Minimums)

10 push ups a day
30 sit ups
4 sets of 4 lunges on each leg (total of 32, 16 for each leg)
Walk more. 30 minutes?
More water/tea minusing sugar.
Incorporate even more pilates, to not bulk up on muscle. Ew.

Weight goal: 115 lbs, minimum. I weigh...hm. 124-126. Something like that. So, 10-15lbs.

This isn't too hard. I already do all of this stuff every day.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ These are respectable goals :yes: Any changes in your diet? Or do you already eat pretty healthy?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great stuff guys! I think this could turn out to be pretty fun and challenging.

One note: The goals like, "I want to weigh X pounds and run X miles" is great for motivation, but I won't be using those. For the contest, I'll be using the "Exercise 4 times a week" type goals, as that's the type of thing that will get you to X pounds over time.

You're right I need a minimum, I'll start with cardio 4 days a week for 45 minutes a day. :)

<Mr Burns>Excelleeent</Mr Burns>

I need to put on some muscle, so I'll commit to doing wall-sits, twisty-half-situps* and push-ups every day until 2010.

Sounds good. Have you thought about adding leg lunges to the mix? They would make a fine addition to your routine.

Goals (don't laugh - I said I was wimpy):
Drink only two cans of soda a day
Eat at least one serving of fruit/vegetable a day
Continue to walk at least a mile with my husband 3 or more times a week.
Do some kind of crunches every day for . . . I'll start with five minutes and add a few more minutes each week

No one is laughing - those sound like admirable starting goals. I do recommend you make it a 5 day a week on the crunches thing. 7 days a week doesn't allow much room for error or rest. :)

If you want to challenge yourself a bit more down the line, you can always add other types of abdomen exercises. I did that a long time ago, and it was really satisfying to see the difference after being consistent after 2 months.

My goal would then be to resume my 3x/week schedule I had going before and stick to it, less a few unavoidable exceptions such as illness, injury, and absence. Keeping the pace for 6 straight months would be quite the feat for me.

I think 6 straight months will be a feat for everyone participating in this thread. Those sound like solid goals to me - that's enough to build some muscle at least.

And of course there will be leeway for illness and injury. All I really expect is some sort of communication so that I know you are still trying and just had a setback.

I want to continue my exercise schedule- Run 3 days a week, 1 day soccer, 1 day volleyball (which will switch to hockey in October).

Sounds pretty challenging! Soccer is a great workout - tons of sprinting.

Oh yeah, to make things interesting and more challenging, I'm going to throw in some dietary goals to lose some weight as well. I already have the no junk-food, no sweets, no added sugar, no wheat, lots of water and walking thing going on but I want to make the healthy meals more regular = 3 full meals and 2 snacks a day.

Between that and the yoga that sounds pretty worthwhile and challenging to me. No junk food and sweets over 6 months isn't very reasonable, though, especially since we have the holidays coming up at the end of the year.

May I suggest that you allow yourself a bit of leeway? Unless you know yourself well enough to know that one cheat will ruin your efforts, at least.

goals-

take a class at the gym four times a week and burn at least 600 calories per class.
elliptical (at home) at least 30 minutes four times a week. calorie burn at least 200.
cut back on sugar.
drink more water.

class schedule-
monday- muscle class at 6:30 pm
tuesday- cycle at 8:30 am
wednesday- boot camp class 10:00 am
thursday- muscle class at 9:30 am

I like those goals. Getting involved with a class is a good idea. How long is the class?

Alright

My Super Epic Goals (The Minimums)

10 push ups a day
30 sit ups
4 sets of 4 lunges on each leg (total of 32, 16 for each leg)
Walk more. 30 minutes?
More water/tea minusing sugar.
Incorporate even more pilates, to not bulk up on muscle. Ew.

Sounds good! Although by now you may know my stance on doing exercise every day. Rest is good, and so is room to error. Might I suggest 5 days a week? You can always still do 7 days on your own, but consider 5 the minimum.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, okay, so when do we start? ***looks confused***

Unless I hear a big uprising, official start date is Monday, August 31st! I'll update the OP tomorrow, and create the official thread this weekend.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
Okay I am in. I have been doing 30 minutes on the tredmill 5 days a week and would like to make it 1 hour on the tredmill 5 days a week.

I have done an hour at a time here and there but would really like to push myself to do an hour consistantly. Also do like a 100 situps or more everyday.

I don't have a losing weight goal per se as I am more interested in losing inches. I want to lose inches and tone up more then lose weight. My grand goal is to be able to fit and fit well the peach dress hubby proposed to me in that made his eyes pop out- it was hilarious to see his cartoon dog hello nurse reaction! It is one hell of a dress,lol.

Don't know the specifics of inches needed to do that- my victory will be getting into the dress- I just want to keep going until that happens and of course keep a regimen up afterwards so that I can continue wearing it,lol.

P

Phantonym

May I suggest that you allow yourself a bit of leeway? Unless you know yourself well enough to know that one cheat will ruin your efforts, at least.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't thinking about making this into an absolute boot camp. The goal still remains the same - yoga three times a week + balanced meals regularly every day and make a habit of this.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay I am in. I have been doing 30 minutes on the tredmill 5 days a week and would like to make it 1 hour on the tredmill 5 days a week.

I have done an hour at a time here and there but would really like to push myself to do an hour consistantly. Also do like a 100 situps or more everyday.

Sweeet. Sounds great!

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ These are respectable goals :yes: Any changes in your diet? Or do you already eat pretty healthy?

Not really. I don't think I need to cut back on any sugar or anything. I don't really like it, and I never eat sugars, sweets in general, cake, other baked goods etc. I eat really healthy. I opt for spices over fat.

Whenever I do have something that is "bad for me" it is normally good, because I don't eat much of it. I suppose the guidelines I can set are don't eat any more sugar/fat stuff than I do currently. As long as I don't go beyond what I am doing now.

Sounds good! Although by now you may know my stance on doing exercise every day. Rest is good, and so is room to error. Might I suggest 5 days a week? You can always still do 7 days on your own, but consider 5 the minimum.

And yeah, I will go 5 day minimum. There will be days I can't work out anyways, being I have a pretty active social life. Sometimes I might make it 7, and as I work up more muscle and tolerance, I will raise my level of intensity/how much I work out.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I think my goal will be to maintain the amount of exercise I'm doing right now through fall and winter:

-1 solid hour of exercise, 3 times a week (either hiking, swimming, or yoga+crunches/lunges kind of stuff). This is in addition to normal walking to classes kind of stuff.

Also:

-Adopt a meal schedule that's more natural for me: a good breakfast, a late lunch, and a late evening snack.
-eat more fresh vegetables.

I already eat pretty well (whole wheat everything, lots of fruit, lean meats, light yogurt) so part of the challenge will be continuing to do that once I go live in the dorms and can't cook my own food any more. I think Subway will be seeing a lot of me as that's about the only fast-food type restaurant that I'm willing to eat at.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just joined a gym today. I exercised for 3 hours without even realizing it. I plan on doing this every day after class (4 days a week).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think my goal will be to maintain the amount of exercise I'm doing right now through fall and winter:

-1 solid hour of exercise, 3 times a week (either hiking, swimming, or yoga+crunches/lunges kind of stuff). This is in addition to normal walking to classes kind of stuff.

Also:

-Adopt a meal schedule that's more natural for me: a good breakfast, a late lunch, and a late evening snack.
-eat more fresh vegetables.

I already eat pretty well (whole wheat everything, lots of fruit, lean meats, light yogurt) so part of the challenge will be continuing to do that once I go live in the dorms and can't cook my own food any more. I think Subway will be seeing a lot of me as that's about the only fast-food type restaurant that I'm willing to eat at.

:static: That's the spirit! Welcome aboard! :D :hug:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I just joined a gym today. I exercised for 3 hours without even realizing it. I plan on doing this every day after class (4 days a week).

Ah, you guys have made a just and true decision. Stick to it, and all of your wildest dreams will come true. Assuming your wildest dreams are limited to getting in better shape and losing some weight.

G

Glycerine

I think school will give me enough exercise. I tend to lose weight when school is in session only because I walk A LOT around school to de-stress myself, lol. However, I will still attempt to do this.
EDIT: Wow, that made me sound uber obsessive about weight but I'm really not. A couple years back, I chose to be completely sedentary for a whole year and gained 10% of my total body weight so yeah.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, you guys have made a just and true decision. Stick to it, and all of your wildest dreams will come true. Assuming your wildest dreams are limited to getting in better shape and losing some weight.

Yes. I need to get this flab off of me.

I think school will give me enough exercise. I tend to lose weight when school is in session, lol. However, I will still attempt to do this still.

You're like a stick already! No need to be worried about weight. :)