User Tag List

heart on fire

Default When BPA-Free Isn't

When BPA-free Isnt / Science News

When BPA-free isnt

By Janet Raloff Web edition : Thursday, July 30th, 2009 (article at link)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I knew I wasn't being crazy when I decided to avoid plastic drinkware even though they all quickly started saying "BPA free!" on the package.

BPA is also in most canned food liners, FYI.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Check out some of the stuff they put in cosmetics, apparently it's barely regulated. I quit using plasticware and teflon cookware which I read was linked to fertility problems and cancer or something. But I stopped long before I read about it because cast-iron rules.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

POISON!

This is why we should be eating from fine Noritake China and Waterford crystal glasses.

It's not about being a snob people, it's about your health!

The last thing I want in my system is ANYTHING that mimics estrogen.

BTW, this is a different effect than soy isoflavones, which bind to human estrogen receptors and BLOCK in vivo produced estrogen from binding to such said receptors. Soy isoflavones do mimic estrogen, BUT they are far less powerful than human estrogen, or BPA.

I believe the hierarchy of discussed estrogens is:

(-)isoflavones<--------human(0)estrogen<-------Bisphenol A's(+)

Thanks for posting this!

-Alex

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

man.

just a question: what materials do YOU use for storage, storing water on the go, etc?
    i fill and re-fill glass water bottles, but have been told that they're not as easily cleaned thoroughly as plastic ones. i do the boiling water routine. glass or plastic, folks? or do you use those swiss metal bottles?
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

That's it! I'm going back to drinking only from gourds and deer stomachs!

Quote Originally Posted by demimondaine View Post
    just a question: what materials do YOU use for storage, storing water on the go, etc?
    i fill and re-fill glass water bottles, but have been told that they're not as easily cleaned thoroughly as plastic ones. i do the boiling water routine. glass or plastic, folks? or do you use those swiss metal bottles?
    Glass is easier to clean than plastic. I re-use plastic sports drink bottles for backpacking because they're lighter weight than any Nalgene bottle, especially the polycarb ones. Just some hot water and dish soap is good enough. I also have a stainless steel bottle I use on winter trips (holds up to freezing and warming over a fire).

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by demimondaine View Post
    man.

I like these stainless steel bottles - I generally only put water in them, so washing them usually amounts to just rinsing them out, but they're obviously dishwasher-safe, too.

I do still think that glass (or stainless) storage is best - as handy as the plasticware pieces are, I just don't really trust them anymore - especially for microwaving. For years I'd bring them to work and then microwave them and eat out of them... I recently decided to give that up and get some glass (pyrex) ones. The new ones are a bit smaller and heavier, but I don't have any worries about plastic deterioration and even fraying. Sometimes the old-style stuff is just better, I think. I'm generally not *as* concerned about storing things in plastic in the refrigerator - but the frequent heating just can't be good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I read an article that basically said that research was done on bottled drinks that came in BPA-free containers and yet the liquid tested positive for hormone disruptors. Their conclusion was that probably during the production process, the liquid made contact with PVC or other materials that would taint it.

Upon reading this, I promptly fixed myself a hat:

... and then set up my own home h2o distiller. Now I just need a few fruit orchards to make my own juice.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4