User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

It appears, ladies that there are many of us who have curly hair. I have spent a small fortune trying out new kinds of gels and serums for my hair. My best product so far is the cheapest: Dippity Do (the green one), which costs about $2.00 at WalMart or nearly any drugstore.

Do you have any suggestions for the best stuff to keep your hair unfrizzy, with defined curls and not crunchy? What are these products and where can you get them? What do you like about them?

Also, if you have found products you hate, tell us why.

Do you live in a dry or a humid climate? What type of curly hair to you have? (African, wild ringlets, S shaped waves, slight bend?)
    Likes labyrinthine, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Is this only for curly haired individuals? I'm a wavy-haired individual. (Pretty much exactly the same kind of hair like Jill Hennessy in my avatar.)

To the NF in you: feel encouraged to exclude me if that's outside of your goal for this thread.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

No no! Read the last sentence of my OP! You're welcome too. That's the kind of hair I have as well (I think you've seen my pictures, no?). Maybe I should have called it for wavy haired individuals, but I thought that would leave people out. I usually don't find a lot online that's helpful for people with hair like us.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I have curly hair - not incredibly curly, but curly enough to be springy on a good day (and in humid weather). I use curl defining shampoo (Herbal Essences: Totally Twisted). I buy it at CVS, so anywhere like that should carry it. Also, with regard to frizz, I LOVE those hair dryers that have the attachments that hold your hair in place. That way, your hair isn't flying around all over the place while it's being dried, so it isn't frizzy. Or, you could just hold your hair in place while you dry it. (I do that - my hands get hot, but it works.) Also, I find that it helps to not dry it all the way, because then it gets more curly and less frizzy.

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    NiFe

I am forever trying to tame the beast that is my curly mop. (Album pic):

I experiment with new products weekly, but I find that a generous dollop of leave-in conditioning creme coupled with some light spray gel or mousse does the trick without too much crunch. Typical drug store brands like Garnier Fructis or SAMY work okay.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Also, with regard to frizz, I LOVE those hair dryers that have the attachments that hold your hair in place. That way, your hair isn't flying around all over the place while it's being dried, so it isn't frizzy. Or, you could just hold your hair in place while you dry it. (I do that - my hands get hot, but it works.) Also, I find that it helps to not dry it all the way, because then it gets more curly and less frizzy.
    I find diffusers very useful as well and you're right about not completely drying it with the blow dryer.

Now what's really tricky for me is when I straighten my hair for a few days. I'm never really satisfied with anything I use to keep the frizz at bay. I'm pretty good with technique (I'm a beauty school dropout ), but I could use suggestions for product.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

MBTI
    INTP

This stuff is great. It doesn't weigh the hair down, doesn't make it crunchy, and gives your curls (and waves) some extra spring.

John Frieda

Mine's naturally wavy, and this is what I use when I want to wear it in its natural state.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'm not going to post photos on the public forum, but if you're on my friend list you can see photos of my hair. (The guitar photo is iron-straightened hair; the photo with the MIT prof was straightened hair, but then I had to run an errand outside in the rain and it de-straightened it.) I live in a very non-humid area. When I was in British Columbia I had awesomely curly hair without effort, but when I tried to straighten it it would never stay flat.

I'll post photos of Jill Hennessy to illustrate on the public forum, since her hair is very similar to mine. (Note: Just realized she has transitioned to a back to a music career!)

My greatest success has been to use almost any name brand drugstore shampoo (i.e. not the salon stuff, but the higher end stuff you can find at your local drugstore) with this leave-in conditioner. (Sexy Hair Organics.)

I don't blow-dry my hair, I just let it dry naturally. It dries to wavy like this:

I've had some success in the past to make it curly but when it's too long it will only go this much curly because of the weight (my hair is currently probably exactly the same length).

I also find there's times when I put in gel or moose to make it very curly, and sometimes this is successful. Other times, due to a slightly different haircut or hair length (length = more weight) it is completely unsuccessful and my hair doesn't have any good-lookin' curl ability. Because of this I am wary to rely on making my hair curly and sort of avoid it, just leaving it wavy or straightening it for places that I have to look nice.

Another problem I have is that I have wisps of 3-4 inch long baby hair that are never going to grow around my scalp line; they're completely unnoticeable when I wear my hair down, but when it's in a ponytail and I'm sweaty from sports they migrate into horns when I'm running around.

I could use some product advice.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    NiFe

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This stuff is great. It doesn't weigh the hair down, doesn't make it crunchy, and gives your curls (and waves) some extra spring.

John Frieda

Mine's naturally wavy, and this is what I use when I want to wear it in its natural state.
    I think that stuff is good for wavy hair (my boyfriend can use it), but it just wasn't enough to control mine. I have rebellious curls.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Curly-haired girls
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

You get those little scalp twisty things too? I was in PEI just a bit ago and loved the way my hair went there! Humid, but not too hot=good hair!

I haven't ever had any luck with spray gel or John Freida products. Very disappointing, as my roomie's hair in university used to look gorgeous with FrizzEase! (But she had wild tight curls) My hair would be like that 2nd picture of Jill. Also folks, do you find your hair gets really dry? Do you have any great deep conditioners to recommend along with the other products?
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast