• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My hair is wavy/frizzy and I end up straightening it, normally. I would love to figure out what to do with it to make it wave up some days.

T

ThatGirl

I have Shirley Temple looking ringlets. It literally looks like I roller set my hair, which would be great....if I was eighty.

The trick to great curls starts at the shampoo bowl. You want to chose a product that is hydrating without being heavy.

Fine Hair: Fine haired curls can be weighed down relatively easy. Redkin's Body Full shampoo and conditioner are great for this type of hair. Shampoo regularly at the beginning of your shower and let the conditioner sit through the duration. The conditioner is great, because the longer it sits the better it will work. It does not contain the heavy smoothing waxes and fillers of other products, so it will not build up on the hair and turn your curls turn into stringy waves.

Medium Textured Hair: This is probably the easiest curl to manage. You could use almost any regular product. Redkin's Fresh Curls Shampoo and Conditioner are a good match. If your curls are tight you may want to use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner, if they are loose, a volume based one. I believe Matrix Amplify is a good product.

Course/Thick/Extremely Curly: You will want to use some sort of smoothing system. Matrix Sleek Look, Redkin Smooth Down, TiGi, products are all good for this. One thing about these shampoos and conditioners though is that over time they will build up and the hair will become waxy. If your hair remains over coated, nutrients will no longer be able to penetrate this layer and condition the hair. Over time hair will become dry and brittle. Using a clarifying shampoo about once a week is recommended.

With curly hair, your goal in a shampoo and conditioner should not be protein based. Unless your hair is very damaged, you need moisture, not protein. Over time protein will dry the hair out and cause it to break. The goal is to stabilize the PH not sway it from one extreme to another.

The longer your hair is the more your curls will be weighed down. If you are attempting to get them to spring up, you can try a few tricks. When towel drying do not abrade the hair. Pat or scrunch drying is more effective. Pile the hair loosely on top of the head and allow to air dry until barely damp. The you can let the hair down, add product (I always liked Redkin Fresh Curls spray gel) and go. When working with sticky, gel like products, you don't want to scrunch, as the hair will stick to your fingers and then separate the ringlet giving you frizz. Instead use your open palm to pat the hair and push it up.

If you are trying to minimize overly curly or course hair, you will want to seek more cream based products. Pomades, and control creams are your best bet (Enjoy makes a good one). After initially combing through when wet, don't touch the hair again. The more you play with it the bigger it will get.

And as always, the main factor in making curly hair beautiful, its all in the cut. Keep in mind that curly hair tends to tangle and break within itself. Your ends will always look like that, unless you commit to your four to six week quarter inch trims. For fine hair, see texture based cuts. Course or heavy you will want to look for undercuts, and fewer layers.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've got this Treseme conditioner and shampoo that is fab-u-lous. Omg. :wubbie: I let it air dry, and my wavy hair looks far more styled and calm and smooth than it does when left to its own devices. :heart:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You might want to do some reading at Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com!. As a result of hanging out there for a bit, I used Devacurl products. They are great. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to the styling products -- but that's unusual -- I think most people can use them.

I'm white, but my solution for the humid summer has been to get my hair cornrowed. I've got braids down to about my bra strap, and it stays neat with zero maintenance.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My greatest success has been to use almost any name brand drugstore shampoo (i.e. not the salon stuff, but the higher end stuff you can find at your local drugstore) with this leave-in conditioner. (Sexy Hair Organics.)

I've seen that brand before --I'll look into it.

usehername said:
I don't blow-dry my hair, I just let it dry naturally. It dries to wavy like this:

I can only get away with this if the products are light enough/strong enough, which means getting it juuuuuust right and it can't be humid outside.

I've had some success in the past to make it curly but when it's too long it will only go this much curly because of the weight ...
I also find there's times when I put in gel or moose to make it very curly, and sometimes this is successful. Other times, due to a slightly different haircut or hair length (length = more weight) it is completely unsuccessful and my hair doesn't have any good-lookin' curl ability. Because of this I am wary to rely on making my hair curly and sort of avoid it, just leaving it wavy or straightening it for places that I have to look nice.

Trying to get all these factors just right is the story of my hair's life.

Another problem I have is that I have wisps of 3-4 inch long baby hair that are never going to grow around my scalp line; they're completely unnoticeable when I wear my hair down, but when it's in a ponytail and I'm sweaty from sports they migrate into horns when I'm running around. :doh:

I could use some product advice.

All the women in my family have the "baby hair" phenomenon around the scalp line. Annoying! The only time they've never been an issue is when my hair is styled curly around the face and they hide the wisps, or if I use heavy product to slick it back --but eventually they always come back out to play.

You get those little scalp twisty things too? I was in PEI just a bit ago and loved the way my hair went there! Humid, but not too hot=good hair!

I haven't ever had any luck with spray gel or John Freida products. Very disappointing, as my roomie's hair in university used to look gorgeous with FrizzEase! (But she had wild tight curls) My hair would be like that 2nd picture of Jill. Also folks, do you find your hair gets really dry? Do you have any great deep conditioners to recommend along with the other products?

I do have dry hair and I condition liberally during every wash. I also try to do a hot oil treatment once a month and a Hask Henna 'n' Placenta pack.

Yeah, it wouldn't work for my sister who has an afro kink to the curls in her hair, alot tighter and smaller. She uses "pink gel":

Ampro Pink Berry Ice Gel from Discount Beauty Products and Beauty Supply and a mix of pink lotion to weight it down so that she can wear it longer.

I will look into this.

Does anyone have recommendations for taming your hair in a humid environment? I just moved to a very humid place recently and I'm having one bad hair day after another.

I lived in Houston for many years. Talk. about. humidity. /ugh Honestly, I never found a great solution, just a tolerable one which was generous product. My hair just rarely got the chance to look great. :(

I make my own hair products. I use a light gel that I make out of basically just aloe vera juice/gel from the health food store, vegetable glycerin and xantham gum (to make it that thick, gooey consistency). I also put in jojoba oil or sweet almond oil or some other carrier oil that I have on hand and has a nice smell. I experimented until I got the right consistency for my mop of many different textures and curl patterns, which represent my many different pockets of ethnicity. The more xantham gum you use, the crunchier your hair will be. Seems to work ok.

Vegetable glycerin is a humectant, which helps your hair retain its natural moisture and allows it to shine without using silicone. Alcohol based products actually dry out your hair, which in my opinion, is the biggest reason why curly hair products fail us and make our hair dry and brittle. The alcohol and the harsh chemicals. Our hair is dry enough since the natural oils don't travel down to the ends as quickly or as easily as our straight haired counterparts.

The stuff I use makes my hair so soft and touchable, never ever flakes (unless I use waaaay to much gum) and holds my curl patterns. It literally feels that there is nothing in my hair, once dry. When it's still damp, it can feel a little slick or tacky. If I mess around in my hair and frizz it out, I simply just dab a little water to reactivate it, and it's back to what it was almost instantly. But everyone's hair is different.

If you are having a bad day, you can add a drop or two of an essential oil to lift your spirits and make a really great scent.

I used to use the most expensive products, which all have the same core ingredients as the cheap shit, so there's no point. I remember doing a cost analysis and came up with about $4 to make 24 oz, or something like that. It depends on how much aloe vera gel sells for in your health food store (which notoriously rips people off). But the other materials are dirt cheap. And since I usually use the size of 1-2 quarters (and my hair is really thick), this stuff lasts forever. And its all edible - depending on which carrier oil you use, if any.

That is crazy cool! (Don't know that I'm capable of following through with all of that on a regular basis though.)

I have Shirley Temple looking ringlets. It literally looks like I roller set my hair, which would be great....if I was eighty.

I get this if I air dry after heavy conditioner. /lawl

ThatGirl said:
Course/Thick/Extremely Curly: You will want to use some sort of smoothing system. Matrix Sleek Look, Redkin Smooth Down, TiGi, products are all good for this. One thing about these shampoos and conditioners though is that over time they will build up and the hair will become waxy. If your hair remains over coated, nutrients will no longer be able to penetrate this layer and condition the hair. Over time hair will become dry and brittle. Using a clarifying shampoo about once a week is recommended.

I have good experiences with TiGi products. Like 'em a lot. Just not the cost as much...

ThatGirl said:
With curly hair, your goal in a shampoo and conditioner should not be protein based. Unless your hair is very damaged, you need moisture, not protein. Over time protein will dry the hair out and cause it to break. The goal is to stabilize the PH not sway it from one extreme to another.

The longer your hair is the more your curls will be weighed down. If you are attempting to get them to spring up, you can try a few tricks. When towel drying do not abrade the hair. Pat or scrunch drying is more effective. Pile the hair loosely on top of the head and allow to air dry until barely damp. The you can let the hair down, add product (I always liked Redkin Fresh Curls spray gel) and go. When working with sticky, gel like products, you don't want to scrunch, as the hair will stick to your fingers and then separate the ringlet giving you frizz. Instead use your open palm to pat the hair and push it up.

If you are trying to minimize overly curly or course hair, you will want to seek more cream based products. Pomades, and control creams are your best bet (Enjoy makes a good one). After initially combing through when wet, don't touch the hair again. The more you play with it the bigger it will get.

And as always, the main factor in making curly hair beautiful, its all in the cut. Keep in mind that curly hair tends to tangle and break within itself. Your ends will always look like that, unless you commit to your four to six week quarter inch trims. For fine hair, see texture based cuts. Course or heavy you will want to look for undercuts, and fewer layers.

Right on, good suggestions for those still struggling with curly styling.

You might want to do some reading at Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com!. As a result of hanging out there for a bit, I used Devacurl products. They are great. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to the styling products -- but that's unusual -- I think most people can use them.

I'm white, but my solution for the humid summer has been to get my hair cornrowed. I've got braids down to about my bra strap, and it stays neat with zero maintenance.

I'll look into the site and products. As for cornrows I just don't care for their appearance on me. I've done it a few times before during the summer when I was younger, but in general it doesn't suit me and isn't professional enough for my workplace.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That is crazy cool! (Don't know that I'm capable of following through with all of that on a regular basis though.)

You mix 3-4 ingredients together and it lasts for like 4-6 months. What's so difficult? :huh: No heat required.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, and the supermarket. In fact, everything you need is available at the Fairway. One stop shopping... no biggie.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, and the supermarket. In fact, everything you need is available at the Fairway. One stop shopping... no biggie.

I will try this experiment and report back with mah results.

/salute

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious has changed my hair. I live in very, very humid Florida and this stuff makes my curls have some actual, non-frizzy shape.

Here's what my stylist told me about application. And it works:

Use a gigantic wide-toothed comb to comb the conditioner through your hair in the shower. Rinse and part your hair like you normally would. Scrunch.

Pat your hair dry. Wait. Get out of the shower, then pat your hair dry. Don't put it in a turban. Don't scrunch it all around. Just pat. Then leave it alone. When your hair is drying, not really damp, but you can tell it's on its way to dryness, put a quarter-sized dollop of the curl creme in. Scrunch it all around. Then leave it alone.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Curly hair is sexy

Big curly hair is even sexier

Big curly brunette or black hair is the sexiest
:drool:

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
With my curly hair...I just use Fantasia's Frizz Buster Serum after I wash. I wait til it dries off a bit and put about a dimes-size worth (sometimes more) of it into my palm and distribute through my hair. Then I use my hair diffuser to give it a nice soft and bouncy look.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i have wavy hair that's gotten curlier as I get older. When i let my hair dry naturally I use bumble and bumbles curl conscience cream and spray a little surf spray after. I blow the front out a little so i have a looser look and let the back dry on it's own.

P1100390.jpg
au natural.

edit: rajah and I know best. ;P

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Reviving this thread to ask a hair product question:

I've heard that curly hair prefers product that's sulfate-free? Have you guys tried that? Any preferred shampoos/etc? I ask because I've heard sulfates dry out curly hair and I'm still fighting the frizz battle. (Especially now that I'm in a humid climate again... Ugh!)

If it helps, my hair is type 3A, like Shakira's:

shakirahairstyles_layeredtightcurlyhairstyle.jpg

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Cleansing Cowash (who names these products?). It's good, not too expensive, and available at Sally's. Not sure if this would be too heavy for your hair--I've got 3C hair.

I've heard good things about Aubrey Organics GPB Shampoo Lavender and Ylang-ylang but never used it myself.

Reviving this thread to ask a hair product question:

I've heard that curly hair prefers product that's sulfate-free? Have you guys tried that? Any preferred shampoos/etc? I ask because I've heard sulfates dry out curly hair and I'm still fighting the frizz battle. (Especially now that I'm in a humid climate again... Ugh!)

If it helps, my hair is type 3A, like Shakira's:

shakirahairstyles_layeredtightcurlyhairstyle.jpg

I like sulfate free shampoo. Makes my coarse hair feel a lot softer. On the other hand, it also makes it look dull and oily and limp after a while. So I do a reset with regular shampoo and I'm good to go again.

Honestly though, my hair stays frizzy no matter what I do to it so I've given up caring. A lot of people tell me I have nice hair regardless so whatev.

bonnieforbez

I have curly hair to love it but hard to maintain.Some stuff for unfrizzy Get a haircut,Quit using shampoo ,get a light conditioner that doesn't damage your hair....etc these are all the tips from Curly hair hand Book i Feel it is useful just try.