• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you used 2% ketoconazole shampoo? I didn't particularly like the smell, but it certainly relieved the itchiness from the flair-ups.

^^ketoconazole is great, [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]. 2% is by prescription only, in the US. You can try out the 1% concentration OTC, though. It's at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. Nizoral. It's very gentle (good for all hair types), yet effective. I used this as prophylaxis against infecting my scalp w/ringworm fungus when I had it all over my arms (stupid cat's fault). While I don't have curly hair, it did keep my color-treated hair very soft/shiny.

Another option is Selsun Blue w/the active ingredient selenium sulfide (make sure to read the label- one of their newer lines just contains the same zinc-based ingredient as Head & Shoulders instead of selenium sulfide, which, isn't bad either, but you do pay more under this brand for it). Ketoconazole & selenium sulfide are both gentle & excellent for scalp health/reducing flaking & fungus.

You can use your usual conditioner w/either of these products. Another option is using the Head & Shoulders brand conditioner in conjunction w/Nizoral or Selsun Blue shampoo. They're formulated to work well w/antidandruff products, and most of the H&S conditioners also contain zinc-based ingredients to help fight fungus & flakes.

You could also try adding this to your hair while showering or apply overnight as a leave-in treatment once or twice a week, but it's pretty oily. It does contain a junkload of tea tree oil, which is a powerful natural antifungal - it'll help murder all those excess yeasts trying to take up residence on your head.

If you're worried about wasting $ on trying new stuff, I recommend buying these items at CVS or Walgreens. Both stores have a beauty guarantee - you can return anything you buy if you're not satisfied, for a full refund. This includes online purchases. You can take them right to the store w/the invoice for a refund. I do it all the time. Or did, before I found my current go-to products.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I still commit the cardinal sin of the curly hair club:

Raffaella

bon vivant
^^ketoconazole is great, [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]. 2% is by prescription only, in the US. You can try out the 1% concentration OTC, though. It's at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. Nizoral. It's very gentle (good for all hair types), yet effective.

Another option is Selsun Blue w/the active ingredient selenium sulfide. Ketoconazole & selenium sulfide are both gentle & excellent for scalp health/reducing flaking & fungus.

Oh, interesting, 2% wasn't found to be harmful here so its pharmaceutical scheduling is lower - people can just grab it off the shelf at any pharmacy. I remember Nizoral 1% foaming a lot more than 2% (barely foams) but 2% worked wonders despite having the smell and consistency of dishwashing detergent.

Selenium sulfide's a good choice. As is Coal tar if you have no pets and don't mind its potential to stain.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, interesting, 2% wasn't found to be harmful here so its pharmaceutical scheduling is lower - people can just grab it off the shelf at any pharmacy. I remember Nizoral 1% foaming a lot more than 2% (barely foams) but 2% worked wonders despite having the smell and consistency of dishwashing detergent.

Yeah, you have to have a prescription for the 2% here, it's kinda stupid. I got it (the 2%) when I 1st had ringworm on my arms. It's pink & watery, doesn't feel like shampoo at all. Doc had me use it on my arms & scalp. No refills after that. That's when I moved over to the 1% OTC kind, which definitely feels a lot more like a regular shampoo. Perhaps they restrict the 2% as Rx only here to avoid resistant fungal colonies building up (similar to topical/oral antibacterial product restriction). That's been a big deal, lately.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ketoconazole is great, [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]. 2% is by prescription only, in the US. You can try out the 1% concentration OTC, though. It's at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. Nizoral. It's very gentle (good for all hair types), yet effective.

This is what I use when this flares up, too. Works amazing. Once Ive used it 2-3 days in a row and it's under control, using it as a shampoo just twice a week is enough to maintain scalp health till the flare up passes.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Yeah, you have to have a prescription for the 2% here, it's kinda stupid. I got it (the 2%) when I 1st had ringworm on my arms. It's pink & watery, doesn't feel like shampoo at all. Doc had me use it on my arms & scalp. No refills after that. That's when I moved over to the 1% OTC kind, which definitely feels a lot more like a regular shampoo. Perhaps they restrict the 2% as Rx only here to avoid resistant fungal colonies building up (similar to topical/oral antibacterial product restriction). That's been a big deal, lately.

That would make more sense! I'm very thankful we don't seem to have the resistant colonies even though I've developed resistance to it. Fungal infections are very frustrating, they take longer to treat - fungi are nasty and opportunistic microbes.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I would straighten my curls, but it would take too much time, so I just let them be. I use only mousse for curls. It's like my hair has a life of it's own, so sometimes I end up with a curl which is on my forehead and I can't do anything about it. Well...

Ocasionally I use Toni&Guy spray gel for curls, it's good.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a problem with frizz and dryness. For dryness I just do an overnight treatment of a shit ton of olive oil and a shit ton of this apricot paste I got from the middle east.

But the frizz? I don't know what to do with it.

redpilot

Have you tried anti-frizz serum? A lot of naturals are using that esp. during summer. Check this one from Amazon. Or another suggestion is, you can try essential oils. DIY...come up with your own combo like shea butter and jojoba oil. Btw, I also tried Shealicious Cocktail and it works for me.

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have a problem with frizz and dryness. For dryness I just do an overnight treatment of a shit ton of olive oil and a shit ton of this apricot paste I got from the middle east.

But the frizz? I don't know what to do with it.

Maybe you're washing your hair too often?

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I wash my hair once every week/week and a half.

I think you are onto something...

Maybe it's the shampoo? I know a lot of shampoos (especially clear formulas) can damage curls pretty badly. Some of them have chemicals that strip you of too much oil which can leave your hair dry and frizzy.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sharing a hair product combination that I like a lot:

Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel + SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

My most recent post-shower routine has been:

- Squeeze out excess water
- Apply quarter-sized amount of each to your palm, mix, and comb through hair with your fingers
- Squeeze out even more excess water
- Wrap hair in microfiber towel for 10+ minutes (I use a Turbie Twist)
- Either pin hair up at the roots and let it air dry, or put it in a ponytail on top of your head and let it dry while you sleep

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
My natural hair is super curly. Think Keri Russell circa 1996. I've been growing it out, so when I straighten it reaches up to my mid-back. But when I leave it as it is, it'll usually bounce up just below my shoulder blades. In the past I used to just stick to the classic method of getting my hair to look good: 1) Wash hair 2) Hope for the best :D More often than not I used to tie it up because I couldn't be bothered maintaining it. All the gels and creams I'd use would dry it out.

That is until a friend of my recommended me this: PRO-V Intense Smoothening Leave On Treatment

Her curls are a lot looser than mine, so I didn't think I'd be able to tame the unruly beast with a simple leave on cream. But it's been working like a charm for the past couple of years that I've been using it. I usually use it after I've washed my hair, but you can use it casually throughout the day if necessary. It works like a charm and gives my curls volume and decreases the frizz (which is great since I live in a pretty humid area).

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sharing a hair product combination that I like a lot:

Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel + SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

My most recent post-shower routine has been:

- Squeeze out excess water
- Apply quarter-sized amount of each to your palm, mix, and comb through hair with your fingers
- Squeeze out even more excess water
- Wrap hair in microfiber towel for 10+ minutes (I use a Turbie Twist)
- Either pin hair up at the roots and let it air dry, or put it in a ponytail on top of your head and let it dry while you sleep

I've seen the Coconut Milk stuff at the drugstore. Maybe I'll give this combination a shot. Unfortunately, my hair is so thick that the wrap up trick doesn't do much good since my hair will stay damp for 2+ days just in a ponytail if I don't let the area close to the scalp get air.

Rune

MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've got S shaped ringlets..

I've been using coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner lately.. is good for skin too.

I also use IC hair polisher

Aussie products are amazing, especially the leave-in conditioners.

I can't remember the name of my favorite product, though..
It seems like they've discontinued it, but it came in a clear, oddly shaped bottle, was a thick blue gel with air bubbles in it, went on your hair after you wet it a little, then you scrunched your hair up, and that was all.
Perfect curls instantly.
and it smelled kind of like cherries.
They sold this stuff in pharmacies for around $5 or so..
I think it was a Bed Head product..

I live in humid climate..
anyway.. umm.. I've just started using coconut oil, but it seems to be working nicely so far, smells nice, hair is hydrated.. seems healthy..

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
My hair is wavy when long and curly the shorter it gets. I straighten it a couple times a week.

I comb it with a wide-toothed comb and never dry it with terry-cloth. A hair-stylist friend taught me to use micro-fibre t-shirts or 'turbans' and that has made a huge difference in maintaining the integrity of curl-shape.

I find the curls do better if I switch products back and forth. Does anyone else's hair mis-behave if they stick to one product?

I can't remember the name but Kevin Murphy makes a really good product for the fly-away's that some of the poster's have referred to. I am sure if you contacted the company they could help out.

I have used Bumble and Bumble and KMS sea spray for beach waves and loved it but also made my own from Pinterest which was great. LOVE these products also for curls:

http://http://www.moroccanoil.com/ca_en/hair-care-curl-defining-cream-ca

http://http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hershberger-Hair-Curvaceous-Elasto-Curl/dp/B00MNI1CUY/ref=pd_sim_194_1/187-0819723-7494666?ie=UTF8&dpID=31ggdCU%2BVUL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0EGC02RQ9CVE91C3GF9H

http://https://www.paulmitchell.com/our-products/awapuhi-wild-ginger/repair/keratin-intensive-treatment/

http://https://www.paulmitchell.com/our-products/awapuhi-wild-ginger/repair/moisturizing-lather-shampoo/

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
DevaCurl_Set_It_Free_1243_8.00.jpg

This product is amazing and smells great. I don't really care for the other DevaCurl stuff though; the shampoo and conditioner are OK but too expensive to justify buying them and I don't like the curl control gel at all, which manages to make my hair frizzy and crunchy at the same time.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I had been thinking of straightening my hair for the summer (keratin) but am SO glad I didn't. I have felt so pretty lately and a lot of it has to do with these products = so many great hair days. They make my curls soft, glossy and the longer pieces form ringlets.

My cousin brought them for me to try. The shampoo is all-natural so doesn't have a clearly discernible, great smell (something I am usually particular about). But, I got feedback that after using it my hair smells "really clean and fresh" :shrug: The conditioner has a slight, pleasant smell.

Highly recommend both. I follow up with wrapping my hair in microfibre and then letting it air dry.

Curly%20Hair%20Products_zpsjumdhobx.jpg

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Do you put any other product on it as it dries or do the curls stay defined enough as is?