• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just checked, it has silicones in it. Trying to avoid them since I am using sulfate-free shampoo.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Going to a formalish event on Friday night and I want to wear my hair up. Any suggestions for an easy updo what works well with natural, slightly frizzy curls?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Going to a formalish event on Friday night and I want to wear my hair up. Any suggestions for an easy updo what works well with natural, slightly frizzy curls?

How long is your hair?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How long is your hair?

1013640_10152867598937065_2716864079727298839_n.jpg

I'm on the right.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

What kind of neckline will you be wearing during this event?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's what I'd heard -- as well as that it strips your hair. Once I switched to silicone free / sulfate free / paraben free, my hair was much healthier overall. Softer and shinier and MUCH less prone towards split ends. I can't remember the last time I had split ends.
What products do you use? I'm in the process of trying to get rid of all my silicone shampoos.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Your hair is beautiful. How about something like this?

IMG_6688.jpg

Oooh, I like that! I'm planning on experimenting throughout the week and I will definitely give that a try!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What products do you use? I'm in the process of trying to get rid of all my silicone shampoos.
I'm currently using a regimen of hair products that I bought mistakenly and now just want to get rid of -- but that work well enough that I haven't thrown them out. The shampoo I use now is a tea tree shampoo that I got from Trader Joe's and that it turns out is not sulfate free. I also use DevaCurl One Condition (which works well) and DevaCurl Light Defining Gel (which I have to use a LOT of for it to have any effect on my thick/coarse 3A hair).

I've liked just about every "no-poo"* that I've tried, with the exception of DevaCurl's, which doesn't clean my scalp enough and therefore makes my dry scalp issues flare up. I've found some great cheap ones at Walgreens -- I believe they have their own line of curly products and they sell a relatively cheap argan oil shampoo that comes in a blue bottle**, that I like. (Side note: because of the aforementioned scalp concerns, I'm in the market for a sulfate-free tea tree shampoo or something else scalp-cleansing like that. Preferably one that's reasonably priced.)

My personal favorite product is Shea Moisture's curl-specific leave-in "style milk", which I will return to once I've used up the DevaCurl Light Defining Gel. I also really like their shampoo, which makes my hair incredibly soft -- have not tried their conditioner though. All of those products also smell really coconutty and nice.

*For the record, I HATE THAT EFFING NAME
**Edit: Was just reminded that the name of that argan oil shampoo brand is Renpure

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm currently using a regimen of hair products that I bought mistakenly and now just want to get rid of -- but that work well enough that I haven't thrown them out. The shampoo I use now is a tea tree shampoo that I got from Trader Joe's and that it turns out is not sulfate free. I also use DevaCurl One Condition (which works well) and DevaCurl Light Defining Gel (which I have to use a LOT of for it to have any effect on my thick/coarse 3A hair).

I've liked just about every "no-poo"* that I've tried, with the exception of DevaCurl's, which doesn't clean my scalp enough and therefore makes my dry scalp issues flare up. I've found some great cheap ones at Walgreens -- I believe they have their own line of curly products and they sell a relatively cheap argan oil shampoo that comes in a blue bottle, that I like. (Side note: because of the aforementioned scalp concerns, I'm in the market for a sulfate-free tea tree shampoo or something else scalp-cleansing like that. Preferably one that's reasonably priced.)

My personal favorite product is Shea Moisture's curl-specific leave-in "style milk", which I will return to once I've used up the DevaCurl Light Defining Gel. I also really like their shampoo, which makes my hair incredibly soft -- have not tried their conditioner though. All of those products also smell really coconutty and nice.

*For the record, I HATE THAT EFFING NAME
Oh awesome! I'm definitely going to look into some of these. I just needed a good starting place. Thank you very much!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So, I've suspected for awhile that my seborrheic dermatitis was made worse when I switched to sulfate-free/generally milder shampooes a few years ago. I've now had it confirmed by a dermatologist that could be the case. :thumbdown: Apparently I'm allergic to some of the fairly normal yeast that lives on skin, and thrives in oily places. I have a really oily scalp, and sulfate-free shampoo leaves more of that oil behind. Which is GREAT for my curls. So, I am now at a loss. Do I take care of my scalp, or my hair? Is there some way I can do both? My current shampoo seems to have caused an even worse flair up. So as much as I hate wasting things, I may just toss it and switch to this stuff. Still sulfate free, and not too pricey.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I really have liked the professional Sebastian Penetraitt strengthening and repair shampoo that I have been using. It's been great for my curly hair, the seborrheic dermatitis is much better and I don't even need condition anymore. I just comb through my hair in the shower to get rid of loose hair, suds, etc. It isn't sulphate free, but I find I don't need much at all. It's also colour safe.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So, I've suspected for awhile that my seborrheic dermatitis was made worse when I switched to sulfate-free/generally milder shampooes a few years ago. I've now had it confirmed by a dermatologist that could be the case. :thumbdown: Apparently I'm allergic to some of the fairly normal yeast that lives on skin, and thrives in oily places. I have a really oily scalp, and sulfate-free shampoo leaves more of that oil behind. Which is GREAT for my curls. So, I am now at a loss. Do I take care of my scalp, or my hair? Is there some way I can do both? My current shampoo seems to have caused an even worse flair up. So as much as I hate wasting things, I may just toss it and switch to this stuff. Still sulfate free, and not too pricey.
Try asking [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]. She doesn't have curly hair, but she does seem to know everything. :D

Raffaella

bon vivant

All the money and time you'll spend looking after your hair will be wasted since you'll see it swirl down the drain along with your lovely curls... :(

Please take care of your scalp, it's more important since untreated SD leads to hair loss, and it's pretty significant, you will notice the difference. It seems your hair only needs taming on the bottom, so why not put an oil on the ends and the dermatologist-approved shampoo/lotion on the scalp and the rest?

Have you used 2% ketoconazole shampoo? I didn't particularly like the smell, but it certainly relieved the itchiness from the flair-ups.