• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ugh yes omg. I get the "why don't you straighten it?", "you have so much hair!", and "I wish I had interesting hair" comments all the freaking time. Thankfully I don't get most of the ones on that list though.

No one usually wants to touch my hair, for some reason? Maybe that only happens with curlier hair than mine (3a).

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
adhesive_1.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ugh yes omg. I get the "why don't you straighten it?", "you have so much hair!", and "I wish I had interesting hair" comments all the freaking time. Thankfully I don't get most of the ones on that list though.

No one usually wants to touch my hair, for some reason? Maybe that only happens with curlier hair than mine (3a).

I want to pet everyone's head/hair but that has nothing to do with curly or not curly i just like soft things that feel hard underneath.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've discovered AG's recoil and though it's pricy enough, it goes pretty far, isn't too crunchy, makes my hair very curly without too much weight, deals with frizz and is reasonably touchable. It also revives nicely on the second day with a few sprays of water and a little bit of rescrun hung. I'd highly recommend it.

Also, I've found that the nourishing Loreal sulphate free Camilla oil shampoo eliminates a need for conditioner to detangle. It also creates some volume and smoothness while encouraging curl. I hate all Zloreal styling products though.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've found that the nourishing Loreal sulphate free Camilla oil shampoo eliminates a need for conditioner to detangle. It also creates some volume and smoothness while encouraging curl. I hate all Zloreal styling products though.

Link to product? I had trouble looking it up.

also the AG thing, is it really like effortless to use and fast? :/ I'm not familiar with styling my hair really... I usually just braid my hair in a few braids while it's damp, leave them in for the next day, and it'll end up crazy poofy-and-kinky for a day after that when I take them down, falling flat by the evening but still being pretty kinky. .. and if I roll my hair up in circles and bobby pin them down (it takes a long while) they'll ringlet for half a day after I take them out if they're left for a night and the first half of the day. I've found anything but braids + time seems like it takes too long or is too complicated for me to keep up with..

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Very easy. Put a squirt of product in hand. Rub hands to spread it out. Distribute sparingly through damp hair and scrunch a few times. Let hair air dry. I've had no luck with diffusers. My hair is probably 2B. Takes me less than five minutes to do my hair. Aghair.com. I usually buy it in a larger bottle with a pump. Most salons stock AG products. Their Beach Bomb is good too. I like recoil best though. The other is slightly lighter hold.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Very easy. Put a squirt of product in hand. Rub hands to spread it out. Distribute sparingly through damp hair and scrunch a few times. Let hair air dry. I've had no luck with diffusers. My hair is probably 2B. Takes me less than five minutes to do my hair. Aghair.com. I usually buy it in a larger bottle with a pump. Most salons stock AG products. Their Beach Bomb is good too. I like recoil best though. The other is slightly lighter hold.

Thanks for posting this! My hair is 2C and I have the hardest time finding a balance between enough hold, but not too much weight/crunch. I'll give this a shot when I run out of my current product.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I hear Ya! I have a whole cupboard of products I've tried once or twice and quickly abandoned!

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I believe I am a 3b, so hahaa! Life sucks more for me!!:alttongue:

Travel is impossible if you have curly hair. Good luck sleeping in a plane if the only way you can maintain your hair is to keep it up!

I guess that's one good thing about curly hair, it forces you to accept that, sometimes, you just gotta let it all out.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe I am a 3b, so hahaa! Life sucks more for me!!:alttongue:

Travel is impossible if you have curly hair. Good luck sleeping in a plane if the only way you can maintain your hair is to keep it up!

I guess that's one good thing about curly hair, it forces you to accept that, sometimes, you just gotta let it all out.

Two braids? I mean, sure, it makes you look like a child ... but it does work. Always braid when traveling internationally/camping/anything that requires minimum maintenance time.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also had beach hair until a couple of hours ago. So awesome. Too bad it's gone now. :(

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Two braids? I mean, sure, it makes you look like a child ... but it does work. Always braid when traveling internationally/camping/anything that requires minimum maintenance time.

Got 3c hair and twists work! Throw a satin scarf on it to sleep in (do not sleep, do not pass go, without one of these on your head--helps hair from getting tangled. Or get a satin pillowcase.). I'm sick now and I am so freaking glad I twisted my hair last Friday night. My hair is so coily that it likes twists better but I tend to braid my daughter's 3b hair. I don't think the braids look childish--they can look really awesome.

I used to hate my hair and would spend practically the whole day getting it relaxed every 6-8 weeks at $160. Went every two weeks to have it professionally shampooed and styled. That would usually cost me around $75...cost extra because my hair was very long and I was tender-headed. I stopped doing it when I realized that unless I kept it cut down to my skull (which I did for a few years) that the hair upkeep thing was never going to be "easy". Long wash and wear hair was not ever going to be mine. I really do have to fight the temptation to cut it all off though...

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ

The back of my head is flat. If I braid it, I will look like part of my head was sliced off... :cry:

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The really sad thing about braids is my little baby hairs/frizz/flyaway issues. Always looks so messy. I do envy straight haired girls their neat, sleek braids.

I think I'm a 3A/2C. Medium long hair, very curly left to its own devices but turns wavy when I brush it out.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's apparently trendy again:

The back of my head is flat. If I braid it, I will look like part of my head was sliced off... :cry:
IME, the great thing about having thick hair is that no one knows what your head looks like under it! :devil:

(For example, people assume that I have a much smaller head than I do, because of all my hair, but even if I shaved my head I'd probably wear a size XL hat. My head is ginormous, lol.)

Also, french braiding adds some additional volume to the back, especially if you french braid very loosely.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's apparently trendy again:

The second style looks good and hair protective ... the first one, not so much. That one's style over substance. If you slept like that in a plane you'd wake up looking like a wild cavewoman.

Chthonic

I'm loving egg washes at the moment. Just did one with whole egg, honey and coconut oil. Hair is super soft and loads of volume. I have waist length hair (I just chopped 4" off) and am hoping to get to tailbone length this year. It's super fine though and damages easily. :mellow:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I decided to get militant about no silicones and switched my shampoo/conditioner to Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi. It's low lather shampoo, and the conditioner is almost like a lotion. It definitely doesn't coat and detangle the way my old stuff did. I've used it about three times and my hair actually feels much more dry and crunchy... Is this because of the lack of silicones? My product is silicone free also. Suggestions? I was thinking of getting some jojoba oil for the ends.

Also, I might be dying it tomorrow. Nothing drastic, just a warmer shade of light brown. With my highlights grown out it's getting a little too cool for my skin tone.