• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

wildflower

Do you have any suggestions for the best stuff to keep your hair unfrizzy, with defined curls and not crunchy? What are these products and where can you get them? What do you like about them?

Do you live in a dry or a humid climate? What type of curly hair to you have? (African, wild ringlets, S shaped waves, slight bend?)

i have long curly/frizzy hair and it's super thick. i love aveda confixor. it definitely won't make your hair crunchy and it does a great job smoothing out the frizz. it doesn't hold my curls all that tight but if i add a little conditioner (just any moisturizing conditioner like tresemmé) i get more defined curls. the aveda smells great too. i've had guys comment several times how great i smell and it's the product. i think i have some of the 'be curly' too but that gets me too curly. i like bigger, loose curls. aveda seems to be a great brand for curly haired folks. i'm a grateful customer who hates the frizz. oh, i live in a dry climate.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oil treatments are good for helping tame frizz. I just work coconut oil into my scalp and then through my hair, pile it on my head, and put on a shower cap. It's ooky, it will drip down your back, so wear a old tee shirt you don't care about, but leave it on as long as you can stand it before washing it out. You can use a it on dry hair, too.

I also like Paul Mitchell's Original The Leave-In conditioner.

And my hair loves silicones, so Citre Shine or Biosilk as a finishing touch.

W

WhoCares

I have waist length S wave hair, its thin but looks thick because of the body. My main issue is super oily scalp and straw-like ends since the hair oil never works its way down. Any kind of heat used on my hair equals terrible frizz so I always air dry it. I just use any old poo but recently came across SevenWonders argan oil conditioiner and I'm really liking that. Its super moisturising (owing to a tonne of different natural oils) but does make my hair super soft and behave. I have tried serums but clearly I'm a hairdressing retard as I could never get shine from a silicone serum, just various versions of stringy, greasy looking mess. Most days I have to wear my hair pulled back into a super slick updo anyway, so my biggest issue is the stupid corkscrew curls of baby hairs around my face. No amount of hairspray ever tamed them. Salve applied directly to the hair does. Sounds awful and does make your hair super greasy but it all washes out and saves me looking like I've walked through a hurricane by the end of the day.

In terms of getting my hair to curl, I learnt this from living on the coast. If I swim in the ocean then airdry my hair I get long ringlet curls. Saltwater sprayed directly onto the hair is a great styling solution. I have no idea why that works but it does.

lue

Oil treatments are good for helping tame frizz. I just work coconut oil into my scalp and then through my hair, pile it on my head, and put on a shower cap. It's ooky, it will drip down your back, so wear a old tee shirt you don't care about, but leave it on as long as you can stand it before washing it out. You can use a it on dry hair, too.

Coconut oil also does wonders for frizz, even in high humidity.

I have curly, thick hair. Coconut oil and Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding are my favorite things to use.

My hair process has been helpful in taming my hair. I wash it, then put conditioner in it, and put it up in a bun (leaving the conditioner in). The next day I let it out, and there's no frizz, and less shrinkage.

I have type 3c hair.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What else is great is Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. But the thing of it is, you have to be very careful about how much you use. Just the right amount and you get hair like silk. Go a little over just right and your head is a grease ball.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wired by rusk is good

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So far I've been trying various things with my hair the past year. I started out the year all-natural, no-poo and it just didn't work for my hair. Then I tried all natural products like vinegar rinses and shampoo bars, and while I sort of liked the shampoo bar concept, finding one that cleans as good as liquid shampoo has been difficult. I switched back over to regular shampoo when I started using henna in my hair, but I'm undecided on if I will discontinue henna or not because of the smell it leaves behind in my hair for weeks after treatment. By the time it fades, I could use more, and I hate the smell.

Anything that lacks the slip of conditioner will turn your hair into a knotted mess. Even going 10 days without conditioner on my vacation and washing my hair less, my hair started to knot up like crazy.

I'm trying a new brand called Soultanicals, and I'm getting the rest of the product line in sometime this week (aka whenever I have time to go pick it up). So far I've only been using the leave-in conditioning stuff, and it smells great, the smell lasts in my hair, it can be used on the body, wet or dry, and it does give my hair a lot of slip and much-needed conditioning treatment. I've been using a high-quality liquid shampoo/conditioner that I'm getting for free since it was discontinued, and I'm going to try meshing these products in with it and try stepping back a bit from the shampoo and conditioner and see how my hair does. So far, my hair is curly enough to tangle like crazy, but straight enough that it benefits from brushing it. (Admittedly, brushing is far, far faster than finger combing, and I need to get up and go frequently.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yep biosilk is awesome too.

i often just put some kind of oil in my hair too...i have an almond oil that i kind of put all over

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yep biosilk is awesome too.

i often just put some kind of oil in my hair too...i have an almond oil that i kind of put all over

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I endorsed DevaCurl on this thread, I take that endorsement back. It doesn't clean my scalp as much as my scalp needs to be cleaned -- I'm eczema-prone and it doesn't take much to give me really bad dandruff/scaling. That's also why I can't go more than a day or two without shampooing, and why I don't use dry shampoo.

Considering going back to TreSemme, but will look through this thread again for recommendations.

(It's too bad. Now I have these huge freaking bottles of product that are half full and I can't do anything with.)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had the same trouble with DevaCurl, but I thought it might be because it contains wheat protein. I was so disappointed.

lue

If I endorsed DevaCurl on this thread, I take that endorsement back. It doesn't clean my scalp as much as my scalp needs to be cleaned -- I'm eczema-prone and it doesn't take much to give me really bad dandruff/scaling. That's also why I can't go more than a day or two without shampooing, and why I don't use dry shampoo.

Considering going back to TreSemme, but will look through this thread again for recommendations.

(It's too bad. Now I have these huge freaking bottles of product that are half full and I can't do anything with.)

Have you ever tried SheaMoisture? It works really well and doesn't have a lot of drying or harmful stuff in it.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I started using Organic shampoo and conditioner, and ive already started noticing a difference. Hair is WAY less frizzy, so much softer, and breaks way less. Definitely look into finding one.

I use this stuff, but I don't think you can get it in the US. I think any organic shampoo will do

urtekram-nordic-birch-shampoo.jpg
urtekram-nordic-birch-conditio.jpg

I hate the smell. So I usually spritz my hair with a bit of coconut/shea and avocado hair oil, just at the ends. You can use moroccan oil instead.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever tried SheaMoisture? It works really well and doesn't have a lot of drying or harmful stuff in it.
Worked okay for me, but I wasn't the biggest fan. Might try it again since I still have some lying around. (Had given it up to try DevaCurl, actually)
I started using Organic shampoo and conditioner, and ive already started noticing a difference. Hair is WAY less frizzy, so much softer, and breaks way less. Definitely look into finding one.

I use this stuff, but I don't think you can get it in the US. I think any organic shampoo will do

[pix]

I hate the smell. So I usually spritz my hair with a bit of coconut/shea and avocado hair oil, just at the ends. You can use moroccan oil instead.
Cool! I'd heard about moroccan oil before, but never tried it. A coworker actually just recommended some shampoo from Whole Foods -- organic and in a green bottle, but that's all she remembered.

Hm, maybe I should try something organic with tea tree oil. That stuff is great for the scalp and smells amazing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Worked okay for me, but I wasn't the biggest fan. Might try it again since I still have some lying around. (Had given it up to try DevaCurl, actually)

Cool! I'd heard about moroccan oil before, but never tried it. A coworker actually just recommended some shampoo from Whole Foods -- organic and in a green bottle, but that's all she remembered.

Hm, maybe I should try something organic with tea tree oil. That stuff is great for the scalp and smells amazing.

Yeah, Morrocan Oil is a fave of mine, although it can be expensive. Also (like the tea tree oil you mention), it smells awesome.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I am the exact same way. I get nasty Dermatitis and inevitably have to rotate in a tar based shampoo every few days to keep it under control, especially in the winter. I think we also have pretty similar curl patterns. I'm a 2C. The key for me is finding something sulfate-free with a good conditioner. The under layer of my hair is fairly dry and brittle, so I get split ends like nobody's business.

I've been pretty happy with this combo lately:

Organix Anti-breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo 13oz. : Target

Curl Quencher Hydrafusion Intense Curl Cream

I also use the matching conditioner for the shampoo, as well as a cheap Garnier Fruitis hairspray. I generally either let it dry on it's own and put the product in while damp, or blow dry with a diffuser attachment.

gromit

likes this
Anybody ever tried aloe vera for hair gel before?

I had a bit of sunburn on my scalp where there was a part, so I put it on at night, washed it out in the morning, but it seems like it could maybe work ok, just might get a little crunchy and you'd have to massage that crunchiness out once it dries...?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Jenocyde had a nice gel recipe with xantham gum, glycerine, and aloe vera gel somewhere a ways back. I've tried it. I think it would work better if I had crazy curly hair, rather than strongly wavy hair, but it was quite workable. The xantham gum gave hold, and the glycerine gave softness.

I'm loving AG's beach bomb. It is refreshable with water the next day, feels soft and touchable, but gives definition and encourages curl. My niece prefers AG's recoil, which is slightly heavier. Her hair is less curly than mine, but after getting her hair bobbed, the hairdresser used that and she has incredible curl. Looks great. I find it is less good at taming flyaway frizz, but it depends on hair texture and curl amount. I've been surprised at how long the products have lasted, despite being pricey.

Before that, the best I have found (after trying nearly every kind of gel/curl lotion/mousse known to man) was Dippity Do (green bottle) gel, mixed together with a bit of Mark Anthony instantly thick cream for body and touchability (don't bother with the Mark Anothony curly hair stuff!).

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Jenocyde had a nice gel recipe with xantham gum, glycerine, and aloe vera gel somewhere a ways back. I've tried it. I think it would work better if I had crazy curly hair, rather than strongly wavy hair, but it was quite workable. The xantham gum gave hold, and the glycerine gave softness.

I'm loving AG's beach bomb. It is refreshable with water the next day, feels soft and touchable, but gives definition and encourages curl. My niece prefers AG's recoil, which is slightly heavier. Her hair is less curly than mine, but after getting her hair bobbed, the hairdresser used that and she has incredible curl. Looks great. I find it is less good at taming flyaway frizz, but it depends on hair texture and curl amount. I've been surprised at how long the products have lasted, despite being pricey.

Before that, the best I have found (after trying nearly every kind of gel/curl lotion/mousse known to man) was Dippity Do (green bottle) gel, mixed together with a bit of Mark Anthony instantly thick cream for body and touchability (don't bother with the Mark Anthony curly hair stuff!).

Raffaella

bon vivant
I don't wear my hair natural, it irritates me too much to keep it natural so I heat style it.

I have found that skipping conditioner makes my hair bouncier and lighter. No other product works. Oils have got to be the worst (weigh my fine hair down too much) but dry shampoos are excellent, they give hair so much life (even if your hair is clean).

If I wear it natural then I'll wear it in a crown braid - out of my face, off my neck - so it doesn't bother me.