User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Not really. My hair is always a lot frizzier at the end of the day, than at the beginning.

Maybe use more gel?
    Yeah ...

I should also say that my hair is deceptively voluminous. I look like I have a lot of it, but when it's wet or weighed down with product, you realize how little there actually is. I mean, I'm far from bald ... but it does look kinda sad slicked down.

I like my hair though. And I think overly flat ironed/relaxed hair looks weird and tacky on me and would never do that to it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Yeah ...

I should also say that my hair is deceptively voluminous. I look like I have a lot of it, but when it's wet or weighed down with product, you realize how little there actually is. I mean, I'm far from bald ... but it does look kinda sad slicked down.

I like my hair though. And I think overly flat ironed/relaxed hair looks weird and would never do that to it.
    It doesn't have to look slicked down if you use gel. You really just need to find the right kind of gel! The DevaCurl Light Defining Gel works great for me -- it ends up not being crunchy at all, and it doesn't add any weight or slickness to my hair.

Also good for you for not flat-ironing it I ALWAYS wear mine curly.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes senza tema liked this post

I have very loose s waves to my hair and has been a total nightmare since birth, with frizz. Although I have an oily scalp I can't seem to get rid of straw-like ends. But just these past few days I've found my HG product. Camellia Oil. I've never had any luck using oil in my hair before as it always just made it look greasy. But this oil is different, looks like a shine serum, doesn't weigh down my hair or give it that greasy stringy look. I just brush my hair, oil the ends and then dampen it and let it air dry so it clumps in neat waves. Works a treat for me. I'm on day three without washing and daily application of oil and it still looks great. No frizz.

I'm changing my routine over now to twice weekly wash and oil applications inbetween. Wish I'd discovered this years ago.

MBTI
    INTJ

I was speaking to a hairdresser the other day; she said that curly hair is always considered damaged hair, and you should always use damage repair products on it.
    She recommended Aveda damage repair hair line.
    Has anyone tries it ? She mentioned something about proteins and how the hair absorbs it, where as oils just sit on the hair, not matter how pure.
    can anyone with expertise elaborate. I know the basic is, bit I'm on my phone and it's not optimal for research .

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I was speaking to a hairdresser the other day; she said that curly hair is always considered damaged hair, and you should always use damage repair products on it.
    She recommended Aveda damage repair hair line.
    Has anyone tries it ? She mentioned something about proteins and how the hair absorbs it, where as oils just sit on the hair, not matter how pure.
    can anyone with expertise elaborate. I know the basic is, bit I'm on my phone and it's not optimal for research .
    !!!

I don't understand how she would think that oils are not good for curly hair, when oils are what our bodies produce to keep our hair healthy!

Anyway, here's a decent article I just found on it: Best Products For Curls - How To Use Hair Oil

Curly hair is less hydrated than straight hair, and it's this lack of hydration that causes frizz, making hair look dull (read: no shine). Not enough hydration also triggers brittle hair, which leads to more split ends. All of this is caused by your curl pattern, not a natural inclination that you have for drier hair. The oils produced on your scalp — a.k.a. sebum — are what hydrate hair, adding shine, decreasing frizz, and giving it strength.

For those with straight hair, those oils slip down the shaft rather easily — brushes help, too, pulling oils from the scalp down and distributing them throughout the hair. Since brushes are taboo in the curly hair community and it is more difficult for oils to slide down a spiral or coil, curly hair textures are drier than straight versions.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    !!!

I don't understand how she would think that oils are not good for curly hair, when oils are what our bodies produce to keep our hair healthy!

Anyway, here's a decent article I just found on it: Best Products For Curls - How To Use Hair Oil
    Her point was that we are overwhelming our hair since it naturally produces oil, but is lacking in protein when it is damaged. Her argument was that if you should use something on your hair, it should be loaded with protein, as oil will not be absorbed well, and is a "temporary" fix, rather than truly nourishing.
    She also said that they will not do anything for your hair unless they are 100% pure.

She warned against using products with silicon, as it never washes out properly, and ends up "Building up".

Am I speaking to a crazy person? Or a person with valid points?
    HALP

ps: I hate people with straight hair.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Her point was that we are overwhelming our hair since it naturally produces oil, but is lacking in protein when it is damaged. Her argument was that if you should use something on your hair, it should be loaded with protein, as oil will not be absorbed well, and is a "temporary" fix, rather than truly nourishing.
    She also said that they will not do anything for your hair unless they are 100% pure.

She warned against using products with silicon, as it never washes out properly, and ends up "Building up".

HALP

I've never heard the protein argument before, might make sense though... My hair definitely more fragile than straight.

The silicone thing is TRUE. Especially, if you are using a sulfate free shampoo. The sulfate free shampoo won't get all the silicone out and build-up can happen.

Oh, and don't hate people with straight hair! They should hate us. Their hair is boring.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I hadn't heard that, about protein, before. Just did some Googling, and the only times it's suggested are for damaged natural hair -- not natural hair in general, and not loosely curly hair in general.

That's what I'd heard -- as well as that it strips your hair. Once I switched to silicone free / sulfate free / paraben free, my hair was much healthier overall. Softer and shinier and MUCH less prone towards split ends. I can't remember the last time I had split ends.
    HALP
    I don't know the science behind it, but my ESTJ-ness makes me think that since she's in the minority on this, she's probably either wrong or on the forefront of something new/innovative. Worth looking into.

Did she have straight hair btw? Flatironed hair? I'd understand the tendency to think "curly = damaged" if all curly haired women regularly straightened their hair.

MBTI
    yupp

shave head wear wigs the end
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes EJCC, Codex liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes EJCC, ayoitsStepho liked this post