User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I had the same trouble with DevaCurl, but I thought it might be because it contains wheat protein. I was so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    If I endorsed DevaCurl on this thread, I take that endorsement back. It doesn't clean my scalp as much as my scalp needs to be cleaned -- I'm eczema-prone and it doesn't take much to give me really bad dandruff/scaling. That's also why I can't go more than a day or two without shampooing, and why I don't use dry shampoo.

Considering going back to TreSemme, but will look through this thread again for recommendations.

(It's too bad. Now I have these huge freaking bottles of product that are half full and I can't do anything with.)
    Have you ever tried SheaMoisture? It works really well and doesn't have a lot of drying or harmful stuff in it.

figsfiggyfigs

If I endorsed DevaCurl on this thread, I take that endorsement back. It doesn't clean my scalp as much as my scalp needs to be cleaned -- I'm eczema-prone and it doesn't take much to give me really bad dandruff/scaling. That's also why I can't go more than a day or two without shampooing, and why I don't use dry shampoo.

Considering going back to TreSemme, but will look through this thread again for recommendations.

(It's too bad. Now I have these huge freaking bottles of product that are half full and I can't do anything with.)
    I started using Organic shampoo and conditioner, and ive already started noticing a difference. Hair is WAY less frizzy, so much softer, and breaks way less. Definitely look into finding one.

I use this stuff, but I don't think you can get it in the US. I think any organic shampoo will do

I hate the smell. So I usually spritz my hair with a bit of coconut/shea and avocado hair oil, just at the ends. You can use moroccan oil instead.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lue View Post
    Have you ever tried SheaMoisture? It works really well and doesn't have a lot of drying or harmful stuff in it.
    Worked okay for me, but I wasn't the biggest fan. Might try it again since I still have some lying around. (Had given it up to try DevaCurl, actually)
    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I started using Organic shampoo and conditioner, and ive already started noticing a difference. Hair is WAY less frizzy, so much softer, and breaks way less. Definitely look into finding one.

I use this stuff, but I don't think you can get it in the US. I think any organic shampoo will do

[pix]

I hate the smell. So I usually spritz my hair with a bit of coconut/shea and avocado hair oil, just at the ends. You can use moroccan oil instead.
    Cool! I'd heard about moroccan oil before, but never tried it. A coworker actually just recommended some shampoo from Whole Foods -- organic and in a green bottle, but that's all she remembered.

Hm, maybe I should try something organic with tea tree oil. That stuff is great for the scalp and smells amazing.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Worked okay for me, but I wasn't the biggest fan. Might try it again since I still have some lying around. (Had given it up to try DevaCurl, actually)

Cool! I'd heard about moroccan oil before, but never tried it. A coworker actually just recommended some shampoo from Whole Foods -- organic and in a green bottle, but that's all she remembered.

Hm, maybe I should try something organic with tea tree oil. That stuff is great for the scalp and smells amazing.
    Yeah, Morrocan Oil is a fave of mine, although it can be expensive. Also (like the tea tree oil you mention), it smells awesome.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

I am the exact same way. I get nasty Dermatitis and inevitably have to rotate in a tar based shampoo every few days to keep it under control, especially in the winter. I think we also have pretty similar curl patterns. I'm a 2C. The key for me is finding something sulfate-free with a good conditioner. The under layer of my hair is fairly dry and brittle, so I get split ends like nobody's business.

I've been pretty happy with this combo lately:

Organix Anti-breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo 13oz. : Target

Curl Quencher Hydrafusion Intense Curl Cream

I also use the matching conditioner for the shampoo, as well as a cheap Garnier Fruitis hairspray. I generally either let it dry on it's own and put the product in while damp, or blow dry with a diffuser attachment.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Anybody ever tried aloe vera for hair gel before?

I had a bit of sunburn on my scalp where there was a part, so I put it on at night, washed it out in the morning, but it seems like it could maybe work ok, just might get a little crunchy and you'd have to massage that crunchiness out once it dries...?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Jenocyde had a nice gel recipe with xantham gum, glycerine, and aloe vera gel somewhere a ways back. I've tried it. I think it would work better if I had crazy curly hair, rather than strongly wavy hair, but it was quite workable. The xantham gum gave hold, and the glycerine gave softness.

I'm loving AG's beach bomb. It is refreshable with water the next day, feels soft and touchable, but gives definition and encourages curl. My niece prefers AG's recoil, which is slightly heavier. Her hair is less curly than mine, but after getting her hair bobbed, the hairdresser used that and she has incredible curl. Looks great. I find it is less good at taming flyaway frizz, but it depends on hair texture and curl amount. I've been surprised at how long the products have lasted, despite being pricey.

Before that, the best I have found (after trying nearly every kind of gel/curl lotion/mousse known to man) was Dippity Do (green bottle) gel, mixed together with a bit of Mark Anthony instantly thick cream for body and touchability (don't bother with the Mark Anothony curly hair stuff!).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Jenocyde had a nice gel recipe with xantham gum, glycerine, and aloe vera gel somewhere a ways back. I've tried it. I think it would work better if I had crazy curly hair, rather than strongly wavy hair, but it was quite workable. The xantham gum gave hold, and the glycerine gave softness.

I'm loving AG's beach bomb. It is refreshable with water the next day, feels soft and touchable, but gives definition and encourages curl. My niece prefers AG's recoil, which is slightly heavier. Her hair is less curly than mine, but after getting her hair bobbed, the hairdresser used that and she has incredible curl. Looks great. I find it is less good at taming flyaway frizz, but it depends on hair texture and curl amount. I've been surprised at how long the products have lasted, despite being pricey.

Before that, the best I have found (after trying nearly every kind of gel/curl lotion/mousse known to man) was Dippity Do (green bottle) gel, mixed together with a bit of Mark Anthony instantly thick cream for body and touchability (don't bother with the Mark Anthony curly hair stuff!).

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

I don't wear my hair natural, it irritates me too much to keep it natural so I heat style it.

I have found that skipping conditioner makes my hair bouncier and lighter. No other product works. Oils have got to be the worst (weigh my fine hair down too much) but dry shampoos are excellent, they give hair so much life (even if your hair is clean).

If I wear it natural then I'll wear it in a crown braid - out of my face, off my neck - so it doesn't bother me.