User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for the best stuff to keep your hair unfrizzy, with defined curls and not crunchy? What are these products and where can you get them? What do you like about them?

Do you live in a dry or a humid climate? What type of curly hair to you have? (African, wild ringlets, S shaped waves, slight bend?)
    i have long curly/frizzy hair and it's super thick. i love aveda confixor. it definitely won't make your hair crunchy and it does a great job smoothing out the frizz. it doesn't hold my curls all that tight but if i add a little conditioner (just any moisturizing conditioner like tresemmé) i get more defined curls. the aveda smells great too. i've had guys comment several times how great i smell and it's the product. i think i have some of the 'be curly' too but that gets me too curly. i like bigger, loose curls. aveda seems to be a great brand for curly haired folks. i'm a grateful customer who hates the frizz. oh, i live in a dry climate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Oil treatments are good for helping tame frizz. I just work coconut oil into my scalp and then through my hair, pile it on my head, and put on a shower cap. It's ooky, it will drip down your back, so wear a old tee shirt you don't care about, but leave it on as long as you can stand it before washing it out. You can use a it on dry hair, too.

I also like Paul Mitchell's Original The Leave-In conditioner.

And my hair loves silicones, so Citre Shine or Biosilk as a finishing touch.

WhoCares

I have waist length S wave hair, its thin but looks thick because of the body. My main issue is super oily scalp and straw-like ends since the hair oil never works its way down. Any kind of heat used on my hair equals terrible frizz so I always air dry it. I just use any old poo but recently came across SevenWonders argan oil conditioiner and I'm really liking that. Its super moisturising (owing to a tonne of different natural oils) but does make my hair super soft and behave. I have tried serums but clearly I'm a hairdressing retard as I could never get shine from a silicone serum, just various versions of stringy, greasy looking mess. Most days I have to wear my hair pulled back into a super slick updo anyway, so my biggest issue is the stupid corkscrew curls of baby hairs around my face. No amount of hairspray ever tamed them. Salve applied directly to the hair does. Sounds awful and does make your hair super greasy but it all washes out and saves me looking like I've walked through a hurricane by the end of the day.

In terms of getting my hair to curl, I learnt this from living on the coast. If I swim in the ocean then airdry my hair I get long ringlet curls. Saltwater sprayed directly onto the hair is a great styling solution. I have no idea why that works but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Oil treatments are good for helping tame frizz. I just work coconut oil into my scalp and then through my hair, pile it on my head, and put on a shower cap. It's ooky, it will drip down your back, so wear a old tee shirt you don't care about, but leave it on as long as you can stand it before washing it out. You can use a it on dry hair, too.
    Coconut oil also does wonders for frizz, even in high humidity.

I have curly, thick hair. Coconut oil and Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding are my favorite things to use.

My hair process has been helpful in taming my hair. I wash it, then put conditioner in it, and put it up in a bun (leaving the conditioner in). The next day I let it out, and there's no frizz, and less shrinkage.

I have type 3c hair.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What else is great is Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. But the thing of it is, you have to be very careful about how much you use. Just the right amount and you get hair like silk. Go a little over just right and your head is a grease ball.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

wired by rusk is good
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So far I've been trying various things with my hair the past year. I started out the year all-natural, no-poo and it just didn't work for my hair. Then I tried all natural products like vinegar rinses and shampoo bars, and while I sort of liked the shampoo bar concept, finding one that cleans as good as liquid shampoo has been difficult. I switched back over to regular shampoo when I started using henna in my hair, but I'm undecided on if I will discontinue henna or not because of the smell it leaves behind in my hair for weeks after treatment. By the time it fades, I could use more, and I hate the smell.

Anything that lacks the slip of conditioner will turn your hair into a knotted mess. Even going 10 days without conditioner on my vacation and washing my hair less, my hair started to knot up like crazy.

I'm trying a new brand called Soultanicals, and I'm getting the rest of the product line in sometime this week (aka whenever I have time to go pick it up). So far I've only been using the leave-in conditioning stuff, and it smells great, the smell lasts in my hair, it can be used on the body, wet or dry, and it does give my hair a lot of slip and much-needed conditioning treatment. I've been using a high-quality liquid shampoo/conditioner that I'm getting for free since it was discontinued, and I'm going to try meshing these products in with it and try stepping back a bit from the shampoo and conditioner and see how my hair does. So far, my hair is curly enough to tangle like crazy, but straight enough that it benefits from brushing it. (Admittedly, brushing is far, far faster than finger combing, and I need to get up and go frequently.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yep biosilk is awesome too.

i often just put some kind of oil in my hair too...i have an almond oil that i kind of put all over
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yep biosilk is awesome too.

i often just put some kind of oil in my hair too...i have an almond oil that i kind of put all over
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

If I endorsed DevaCurl on this thread, I take that endorsement back. It doesn't clean my scalp as much as my scalp needs to be cleaned -- I'm eczema-prone and it doesn't take much to give me really bad dandruff/scaling. That's also why I can't go more than a day or two without shampooing, and why I don't use dry shampoo.

Considering going back to TreSemme, but will look through this thread again for recommendations.

(It's too bad. Now I have these huge freaking bottles of product that are half full and I can't do anything with.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!