Curly haired girls are hot.
    () 9w8-4w3-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar
    MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This stuff is great. It doesn't weigh the hair down, doesn't make it crunchy, and gives your curls (and waves) some extra spring.

John Frieda

Mine's naturally wavy, and this is what I use when I want to wear it in its natural state.

Yep, I was just about to make the same recommendation.

I have long curly hair, and I only use the curl spray to tame it from that range, did used to use the shampoo and conditioner, although I have had to take a break due to over use which is why I;'m just using the spray now, but I still say it's the absolute best.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar
    MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I think that stuff is good for wavy hair (my boyfriend can use it), but it just wasn't enough to control mine. I have rebellious curls.
    Yeah, it wouldn't work for my sister who has an afro kink to the curls in her hair, alot tighter and smaller. She uses "pink gel":

Ampro Pink Berry Ice Gel from Discount Beauty Products and Beauty Supply and a mix of pink lotion to weight it down so that she can wear it longer.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Does anyone have recommendations for taming your hair in a humid environment? I just moved to a very humid place recently and I'm having one bad hair day after another.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I think that stuff [John Freida] is good for wavy hair (my boyfriend can use it), but it just wasn't enough to control mine. I have rebellious curls.
    +1 Not even the seriously intensive flavour, or whatever it's called.
    Do you have any suggestions for the best stuff to keep your hair unfrizzy, with defined curls and not crunchy? What are these products and where can you get them? What do you like about them?
    Do you live in a dry or a humid climate? What type of curly hair to you have? (African, wild ringlets, S shaped waves, slight bend?)
    Wet climate. Wild ringlets.
    Currently using Aveda "Be Curly" (salons/online). It's not bad applied when wet. Bit heavier than I'd like though. Quite like "Aussie" products. There used to be an Umberto Giannini serum that was pretty cheap and effective, but seems to be discontinued. Sometimes I use stuff designed to straighten, which just relaxes the curl a bit (used without straighteners).

Sis likes Kerastase Oleo Curl(also salons/online), though she is less curly, more wavy.

I never blow dry. Partly to avoid frizz, partly because I can't be bothered. Rainwater (mildly acidic) is best.
    Usually find the less I do to it, the better it looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have big S-shaped waves and VERY thick red hair. My hair makes me look like I should drive the magic school bus when it isn't tamed. (nearly 90% of the time.. I can't seem to be bothered to 'do' my hair.)

I didn't find much success with de-frizzing shampoos and conditioners at all. But, I did find rinsing my hair with lukewarm/mildly cold water helps. I used to do an apple cider vinegar rinse in it once a week, and let the vinegar dry in my hair. It kept my hair healthy, I just got lazy as my hair got longer. (The vinegar smell disappears entirely when it's dry.) I don't blowdry my hair. I straighten it on very few occasions. When I don't wear a hat to cover my mop, I use a touch of Bed Head's After Party, and a shine spray.

Admittably, I haven't experimented with much. I have tried John Frieda's serum, and it did ..okay.. but for what it did, it was rather annoying and didn't match the price I paid.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

half mystic, half skeksis Array jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I make my own hair products. I use a light gel that I make out of basically just aloe vera juice/gel from the health food store, vegetable glycerin and xantham gum (to make it that thick, gooey consistency). I also put in jojoba oil or sweet almond oil or some other carrier oil that I have on hand and has a nice smell. I experimented until I got the right consistency for my mop of many different textures and curl patterns, which represent my many different pockets of ethnicity. The more xantham gum you use, the crunchier your hair will be. Seems to work ok.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Very interesting! What does the vegetable glycerin do? How much does making stuff cost in comparison to buying it? Does your hair still feel touchable? Sometimes I find stuff that works okay on my hair, but makes me feel like it is all glued together, even if I only use a little bit. Maybe it's got too much xantham gum (or the equivalent)...

half mystic, half skeksis Array jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Very interesting! What does the vegetable glycerin do? How much does making stuff cost in comparison to buying it? Does your hair still feel touchable? Sometimes I find stuff that works okay on my hair, but makes me feel like it is all glued together, even if I only use a little bit. Maybe it's got too much xantham gum (or the equivalent)...
    Vegetable glycerin is a humectant, which helps your hair retain its natural moisture and allows it to shine without using silicone. Alcohol based products actually dry out your hair, which in my opinion, is the biggest reason why curly hair products fail us and make our hair dry and brittle. The alcohol and the harsh chemicals. Our hair is dry enough since the natural oils don't travel down to the ends as quickly or as easily as our straight haired counterparts.

The stuff I use makes my hair so soft and touchable, never ever flakes (unless I use waaaay to much gum) and holds my curl patterns. It literally feels that there is nothing in my hair, once dry. When it's still damp, it can feel a little slick or tacky. If I mess around in my hair and frizz it out, I simply just dab a little water to reactivate it, and it's back to what it was almost instantly. But everyone's hair is different.

If you are having a bad day, you can add a drop or two of an essential oil to lift your spirits and make a really great scent.

I used to use the most expensive products, which all have the same core ingredients as the cheap shit, so there's no point. I remember doing a cost analysis and came up with about $4 to make 24 oz, or something like that. It depends on how much aloe vera gel sells for in your health food store (which notoriously rips people off). But the other materials are dirt cheap. And since I usually use the size of 1-2 quarters (and my hair is really thick), this stuff lasts forever. And its all edible - depending on which carrier oil you use, if any.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Thinking about it, it probably costs around the same.. pro of getting a custom gel for your hair, a con of building it yourself.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast