• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've just been styling my hair with Nutiva coconut oil and it works to fight the frizz and dryness.
My hair is bordering on type 3A, if you can get the reference.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]

I tried the shampoo and conditioner and it has been the best so far for my thick, coarse curly mane:

The conditioner literally already defines my curls in the shower and when it dries, I don't even need a styling product to make it look good.
So worth it~

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have probably the straightest of curly hair on the spectrum.

I've been using this girl's advise lately..
#30DayHairDetox Confessions | BlackDoctor
Stop Using Coconut Oil and Shea Butter On Your Hair Now! | BlackDoctor

Moooostly. I still use coconut oil/shea butter at times, mixed in with other ingredients, but rarely now.

Products I'm currently using:
- Herbal Essences naked dry shampoo after working out.
Herbal-Essences-Naked-Dry-Shampoo-1.png

- On my tips/ends, mostly for a good smell or to make my hair 'stickier' for up-doing, orr if I can't wash my hair that day and it's been nearly a week, I use soultanicals fluff-a-licious.. the one on the left.
soultanicals-combo-.jpg

Before showering: the night before I use straight-up apple cider vinegar directly on my scalp. It helps a lot with scalp itch. I have dandruff pretty badly.. not from a fungus of any sorts, but because my combination skin that plagues my face is also on my scalp, causing a mix of oily scalp + dry scalp that flakes off. Apple cider vinegar gives a lot of relief, and pre-treating my scalp with it really helps cut right through for the dandruff shampoo the next day.

- During my shower:
I wash my scalp with a dandruff shampoo.
beauty-products-hair-2015-300x400-head-shoulders-instant-relief-shampoo.jpg

I wash the rest of my hair with whatever cheap shampoo is available.. but my best friend sends me this shampoo from france, so I've been using it. :) it's the white/silvery bottle in the line up, an almond extract one. It's the french version of suave basically.
1208834295.2.jpg

Then I use a cleansing conditioner all over from my scalp to my ends, and wash it entirely out. This guy doesn't have any of the heavy oils from that article.
05-shampoo-backlash-herbal-essences-cleansing-conditioner.jpg

After that, naked Conditioner just on my ends--probably from my shoulders down.
tumblr_inline_n80gr0QF1m1r16at2.jpg

... Occasionally, when my hair gets really knotted up, I'll use a lemon head knot spread from soultanicals before I start my washing up.
[/img]http://www.pamperedtendrils.com/images/soultanicals%20lemon%20head%20knot%20spread.jpg[/img]

... Other than that, I use Suave kids detangling spray when I brush my hair...
1927081.JPG

I occasionally (once a year or so) put henna in my hair because my hair has been dulling with age. (not my pics.)
IMG_0363.jpg

But henna smells very very bad in my hair for a while after using it... like a month. So, whenever my hair gets wet, I also have to buy this stuff to help balance out that smell. Soultanicals Kink Drink, a spray for your hair that lightly moisturizes and the lavender smell neutralizes the henna smell.

Aaand that's about it. I really don't think I ever stick anything else in my hair...

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Currently in love with jojoba oil for my curly hair, tbh.

My hair is naturally curly with lose curls, like Shakira's hair before she straightened it out. My favorite shampoo is Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil. It's around $10, so it's not dirt cheap, but it's sulfate free, not tested on animals, and lasts a pretty good amount of time in general. Makes my hair nice and shiny too. I used to cowash with a conditioner, but it would always weigh down my hair. So now I only shampoo it every other day and find that it works best for me.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I have 3b curls and am considering going super short. I've had long hair for decades now. Something like this: http://i0.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/3-shaggy.jpg?w=500

yay or nay? You can see my pic on my profile if you need to imagine/compare.

I love your hair long but I think you would look really cute with it short like that.

Do you use headbands and barrettes and stuff like that [MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION]?

I had my hair like in the pic and found accessories helped to 'play' with the style but my SIL feels stuff like that is juvenile so I know it depends on the person...

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love your hair long but I think you would look really cute with it short like that.

Do you use headbands and barrettes and stuff like that [MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION]?

I had my hair like in the pic and found accessories helped to 'play' with the style but my SIL feels stuff like that is juvenile so I know it depends on the person...

Bobby pins and hair combs are what I typically use.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION] I like both ideas! Looking at your photo, it seems to me that you have oval face, so basically you can have any of them and you will look good :).
I envy! I couldn't have the first one...

Or maybe one of those where it's longer in the front than the back, and longer on one side than the other -- so the curls cascade across your face.

I just got this haircut yesterday! I must say it's super comfy and I like how it looks. Besides and it's kind of amazing when you have curly hair and after going to hairdresser looking totally different :D
I have slightly longer version of this:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION] I like both ideas! Looking at your photo, it seems to me that you have oval face, so basically you can have any of them and you will look good :).
I envy! I couldn't have the first one...

I just got this haircut yesterday! I must say it's super comfy and I like how it looks. Besides and it's kind of amazing when you have curly hair and after going to hairdresser looking totally different :D
I have slightly longer version of this:

Not at all oval. I have a face as round as a wheel of cheese. That is my main concern. The asymmetrical cut would help.

Edit: Here is a pic that better illustrates that I have a very round face.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Not at all oval. I have a face as round as a wheel of cheese. That is my main concern. The asymmetrical cut would help.

Then yeah I think the second one you posted or any option in which part of hair around face, at least at one side will be slightly longer (egh sorry not native speaker) , will be better , because it would lengthen your face shape. Not necessarily asymmetric but why not.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

I had forgotten about combs! Hmmm, will have to get some.

I think the 2nd pic would look really great. I like the subtle layers and think they would add interest and depth.

How long does it take you to grow your hair?

If you eventually want it longer will you have to spend a long time in the 'growing out' phase or will that go relatively swiftly?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had forgotten about combs! Hmmm, will have to get some.

I think the 2nd pic would look really great. I like the subtle layers and think they would add interest and depth.

How long does it take you to grow your hair?

If you eventually want it longer will you have to spend a long time in the 'growing out' phase or will that go relatively swiftly?

I couldn't give scientific measurements, but I've always had thick, plentiful, fast-growing hair. I doubt it would take very long to grow out.

Thanks [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] for your input.

cosmictone

Vagrant Terranaut
MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I posted a picture of myself in the type my face thread..
I have African hair with small, tight, spring-like coils.
they literally look like those little springs you find inside some pens.

my hair holds shapes really well so if I twist it I can get larger zig-zag-ish/s-shaped curls

I just started using this stuff cause it has biotin, collagen, wheat protein, and vitamin b7.
623389.jpg
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] using all the good stuff. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Update:

Sharing a hair product combination that I like a lot:

Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel + SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

My most recent post-shower routine has been:

- Squeeze out excess water
- Apply quarter-sized amount of each to your palm, mix, and comb through hair with your fingers
- Squeeze out even more excess water
- Wrap hair in microfiber towel for 10+ minutes (I use a Turbie Twist)
- Either pin hair up at the roots and let it air dry, or put it in a ponytail on top of your head and let it dry while you sleep
Lesson learned in the past few months: why bother with the gel?

My routine is mostly the same now, except that I use a quarter-sized amount of Kinky-Curly Knot Today, sans gel. Much better results.

I may need to add some kind of holding thing to my hair routine though. My hair never looks even half as good the next day.