User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wixiw View Post
    Have you used 2% ketoconazole shampoo? I didn't particularly like the smell, but it certainly relieved the itchiness from the flair-ups.
    ^^ketoconazole is great, @Showbread. 2% is by prescription only, in the US. You can try out the 1% concentration OTC, though. It's at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. Nizoral. It's very gentle (good for all hair types), yet effective. I used this as prophylaxis against infecting my scalp w/ringworm fungus when I had it all over my arms (stupid cat's fault). While I don't have curly hair, it did keep my color-treated hair very soft/shiny.

Another option is Selsun Blue w/the active ingredient selenium sulfide (make sure to read the label- one of their newer lines just contains the same zinc-based ingredient as Head & Shoulders instead of selenium sulfide, which, isn't bad either, but you do pay more under this brand for it). Ketoconazole & selenium sulfide are both gentle & excellent for scalp health/reducing flaking & fungus.

You can use your usual conditioner w/either of these products. Another option is using the Head & Shoulders brand conditioner in conjunction w/Nizoral or Selsun Blue shampoo. They're formulated to work well w/antidandruff products, and most of the H&S conditioners also contain zinc-based ingredients to help fight fungus & flakes.

You could also try adding this to your hair while showering or apply overnight as a leave-in treatment once or twice a week, but it's pretty oily. It does contain a junkload of tea tree oil, which is a powerful natural antifungal - it'll help murder all those excess yeasts trying to take up residence on your head.

If you're worried about wasting $ on trying new stuff, I recommend buying these items at CVS or Walgreens. Both stores have a beauty guarantee - you can return anything you buy if you're not satisfied, for a full refund. This includes online purchases. You can take them right to the store w/the invoice for a refund. I do it all the time. Or did, before I found my current go-to products.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

I still commit the cardinal sin of the curly hair club:

Night is another candle

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    ^^ketoconazole is great, @Showbread. 2% is by prescription only, in the US. You can try out the 1% concentration OTC, though. It's at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. Nizoral. It's very gentle (good for all hair types), yet effective.

Another option is Selsun Blue w/the active ingredient selenium sulfide. Ketoconazole & selenium sulfide are both gentle & excellent for scalp health/reducing flaking & fungus.
    Oh, interesting, 2% wasn't found to be harmful here so its pharmaceutical scheduling is lower - people can just grab it off the shelf at any pharmacy. I remember Nizoral 1% foaming a lot more than 2% (barely foams) but 2% worked wonders despite having the smell and consistency of dishwashing detergent.

Selenium sulfide's a good choice. As is Coal tar if you have no pets and don't mind its potential to stain.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wixiw View Post
    Oh, interesting, 2% wasn't found to be harmful here so its pharmaceutical scheduling is lower - people can just grab it off the shelf at any pharmacy. I remember Nizoral 1% foaming a lot more than 2% (barely foams) but 2% worked wonders despite having the smell and consistency of dishwashing detergent.
    Yeah, you have to have a prescription for the 2% here, it's kinda stupid. I got it (the 2%) when I 1st had ringworm on my arms. It's pink & watery, doesn't feel like shampoo at all. Doc had me use it on my arms & scalp. No refills after that. That's when I moved over to the 1% OTC kind, which definitely feels a lot more like a regular shampoo. Perhaps they restrict the 2% as Rx only here to avoid resistant fungal colonies building up (similar to topical/oral antibacterial product restriction). That's been a big deal, lately.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

^^ketoconazole is great, @Showbread. 2% is by prescription only, in the US. You can try out the 1% concentration OTC, though. It's at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. Nizoral. It's very gentle (good for all hair types), yet effective.
    This is what I use when this flares up, too. Works amazing. Once Ive used it 2-3 days in a row and it's under control, using it as a shampoo just twice a week is enough to maintain scalp health till the flare up passes.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Yeah, you have to have a prescription for the 2% here, it's kinda stupid. I got it (the 2%) when I 1st had ringworm on my arms. It's pink & watery, doesn't feel like shampoo at all. Doc had me use it on my arms & scalp. No refills after that. That's when I moved over to the 1% OTC kind, which definitely feels a lot more like a regular shampoo. Perhaps they restrict the 2% as Rx only here to avoid resistant fungal colonies building up (similar to topical/oral antibacterial product restriction). That's been a big deal, lately.
    That would make more sense! I'm very thankful we don't seem to have the resistant colonies even though I've developed resistance to it. Fungal infections are very frustrating, they take longer to treat - fungi are nasty and opportunistic microbes.
    Night is another candle

I would straighten my curls, but it would take too much time, so I just let them be. I use only mousse for curls. It's like my hair has a life of it's own, so sometimes I end up with a curl which is on my forehead and I can't do anything about it. Well...

Ocasionally I use Toni&Guy spray gel for curls, it's good.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

I have a problem with frizz and dryness. For dryness I just do an overnight treatment of a shit ton of olive oil and a shit ton of this apricot paste I got from the middle east.

But the frizz? I don't know what to do with it.
    "Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

What are you waiting for?
    Johari
    Nohari

Have you tried anti-frizz serum? A lot of naturals are using that esp. during summer. Check this one from Amazon. Or another suggestion is, you can try essential oils. DIY...come up with your own combo like shea butter and jojoba oil. Btw, I also tried Shealicious Cocktail and it works for me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp
    Socionics
    ILI None

Quote Originally Posted by evilrubberduckie View Post
    I have a problem with frizz and dryness. For dryness I just do an overnight treatment of a shit ton of olive oil and a shit ton of this apricot paste I got from the middle east.

But the frizz? I don't know what to do with it.
    Maybe you're washing your hair too often?